mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Anything better spec & price than Giant Anthem 2?

Presuming fit is great between all bikes, is there a better mid-range value than the Giant Anthem 2 for US buyers? A demo or at least parking lot spin to see about fit is mandatory and rules out the likes of Canyon, et al.

It's 1.5 pounds less than a Santa Cruz Tallboy at the same price AND comes with a dropper: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/anthem-2

The Tallboy and many other FS 29ers in the $2500 to $3300 price range either don't come with a dropper or they weigh 30 pounds. The Anthem 2 is 28.5 for a Large. And the wheels aren't absolute bricks.

Wanted to post/ask because, admittedly, my sample size was limited: Scott, Trek, SC, Giant and Kona. If anyone knows of a better spec and price (don't expect a mid-tier bike to weigh less) than https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/anthem-2 I'd be interested.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Isn't the Anthem a 27.5 bike? 29er in general will be a bit heavier than a 27.5. You need to pick the bike that rides the best to you. The weight and spec difference is less important. There are a lot of good bikes in your price range, Fuel ex 7 or 8, Tallboy, 5010, Anthem as you mentioned and a half dozen other bikes. The weight differences between 28.5 and 30lbs are not that important, wheel size and tire spec can account for a big chunk of the difference. For example the SC specs Minions on the front which weigh 1/2lb more than a xc tire, but are way more capable. Same with the Trek that specs XR4 tires.

All that being said, the Anthem 2 is hard to beat for the price, if you want a 27.5. Fuel is hard to beat if you want a29er.

Good luck, researching a new bike is half the fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Fuuuudge, early morning wrong forum post. Mods, please move. And thank you c_trail_biker for the reply and not making me feel like a tool. Much appreciated.