Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Anyone using tubeless Panaracer RAMPAGE 29" tires?

Been using Ignitors, which I like, but was thinking about trying this Panaracer on my single speed. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Although I don't run tubeless, I switched from Ignitors to Rampages due to sidewall tears.

The Ignitors are faster. Rampages roll decent, but their cornering grip is better than the Ignitors. Also offer more cushion. The Ignitors are lighter and faster, and I didn't wash out with them too bad, but you could feel, especially up front, that they don't have the traction the Rampage does.

I really liked the Ignitors, but for my terrain, I needed a sturdier tire.

I don't know how the differences are tubeless, but these are my "tubed" opinions.

Rohloff
    So far, Rampages are my favorite tire. For better or worse, they are a bit big and heavy, but they've never let me down. They're durable, cush, lots of traction, and hooked up to my Flows with ease.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am going to mount some up next week for my first run on them.

My brother has been running one up front on a Rigid SS with no issue until a crash put a small slit in a sidewall, it held for a few months like that so I am pretty confident in them being sturdy.

Seems like more people are running the Ardents these days so those would be worth a shot too if you are up for options.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

www.cyclng.com

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcools
    Seems like more people are running the Ardents these days so those would be worth a shot too if you are up for options.
    I just mounted some Ardents on the rear and hate them. They've got small knobs that are spread across the tire pretty widely. I can feel a BIG loss of traction in the rear. They may be good for some applications but I don't think they are comparable to Rampages.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Yep had them on the front and Ardent on the rear both tubeless on Blunts. They are a great tyre.

However I have now gone back to running tubes for general trail riding as I got sick of not being able to swap out tyres easily.
    Tubeless is great for racing but I dont see a benefit for general trail riding in my area (no thorns etc).

It is between the Rampage and the WTB Weirwolf as my favourite trail tyre.

mtbr member
    All 3 of my 29ers are set up with tubeless Rampage front/Ignitor rear. I like the setup for CO/AZ.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If you are looking for a lightweight racing tire with low rolling resistance, this probably isn't what you want. If you are looking for a durable tire with great traction, this is a good choice. I ride a lot of rocky terrain that takes a toll on tires and the Rampage is the only tire I haven't punctured the sidewall on (although I have yet to try an Ardent). I have 3 wheelsets that I move between my RIP and my MCR and the Rampage Front Ignitor Rear combination is probably my favorite. I also have a set w/ Racing Ralphs (2.4F 2.25R) and as set w/ Small Block 8's (2.1).

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I used Rampage's tubeless with my Arch rims for over a year. Its a very good tire with stiff sidewalls that can be run with very low pressure. Right before last winter I grabbed a set of Continental Mountain King 2.4 tires. Weight about the same as the Rampages although they roll faster and corner very well too. The Mountain King is the best snow tire that I have ever used. Rampages work well in the snow too just not as good as the MK's.

With my new I-9 and Crest wheels I went to Race Kings. I am blown away on how fast they roll and corner. They worked very well in the mud. I still have a new set of Mountain Kings for winter play. Someone wash my mouth out with soap for mentioning winter!
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

Spooooon!
    I love the traction that the tubeless Rampage gives. The Ignitor is one of my favorite tires, but the sidewalls are to thin in my opinion to trust them tubeless. I'll be starting this season on the 2.4 Ardent which has a nice beefy sidewall and after one ride feels much faster than the Rampage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I don't have much to add about the traction after what everyone else said, but I've run a tubeless rampage front on my hardtail for a season and have never had any issues.
    Last edited by good4nothing; 04-06-2010 at 07:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Front Tire. Rampage > Ignitor
    Rear Tire. Ignitor > Rampage (unless in a slop fest)

Rampage is a predictable front tire and when it slips it regains traction quickly. Good braking, solid cornering, rolling resistance is moderate, weight is average for its size.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Work really well on American Classics with stans strips

I'll be setting up two more bikes this weekend using the Bontrager rim strips. I expect it to go smoothly.

I love these on my hardtail. I run them front and rear. They hookup in all conditions including mud (if it's not clay). I've ridden them in Northern VA and Colorado and they always give me traction and are tough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Rampage is a great front and a so-so rear tire, especially if things are a bit wet. Maybe -- or probably -- it is the ramped center knobs not digging in very aggressively under power, though I have never tried the simple solution of reversing the tire's direction.

Panny tires last a long time, mostly because their rubber is a little on the firm side, much like a Saguaro 2.2. Makes things a little slippery on wet roots and rocks, but not noticeable at all in the dry.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sportsdoc
    Been using Ignitors, which I like, but was thinking about trying this Panaracer on my single speed. Any thoughts?
    I do. They work great.

Morgan

Disgruntled Peccary
    Yep, Rampages tubeless on flows, although I'm tempted to try the black chili MK's.
    mike

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Rampage is a great front and a so-so rear tire, especially if things are a bit wet. Maybe -- or probably -- it is the ramped center knobs not digging in very aggressively under power, though I have never tried the simple solution of reversing the tire's direction.

Panny tires last a long time, mostly because their rubber is a little on the firm side, much like a Saguaro 2.2. Makes things a little slippery on wet roots and rocks, but not noticeable at all in the dry.
    I have my rear switched so it bites with the square edge, it climbs much better. These are not fast tires. I did a lap of an endurance race Saturday with these tubeless on Flows at 30psi. It was muddy and loamy and there was a lot of climbing. They did fine, but did not feel fast.

They're great for fun riding however, and I wouldn't want 'fast' tires for most of my fun riding.

Morgan

Disgruntled Peccary
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    I have my rear switched so it bites with the square edge, it climbs much better. These are not fast tires. I did a lap of an endurance race Saturday with these tubeless on Flows at 30psi. It was muddy and loamy and there was a lot of climbing. They did fine, but did not feel fast.

They're great for fun riding however, and I wouldn't want 'fast' tires for most of my fun riding.

Morgan

isn't that how they're marked for rear direction?
    mike

mtbr member
    I love my rampage on the front, tubeless works great. my favourite tire combo right now is rampage on the front, crossmark on the rear. have this on both my SS and trailbike.
    It's go time

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lactic
    All 3 of my 29ers are set up with tubeless Rampage front/Ignitor rear. I like the setup for CO/AZ.
    Lactic,

I'm running the same setup and want to convert to tubeless. Did you use Stans or some form of home brew? How did they seal up?

Thx,

Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ricthedick
    Lactic,

I'm running the same setup and want to convert to tubeless. Did you use Stans or some form of home brew? How did they seal up?

Thx,

Eric
    The first time I set them up as tubeless, I used a mixture of Slime and Stan's. Worked OK I guess but will probably go straight Stan's next time to see if there is a difference. Definitely needed an air compressor to seat the bead on my Arch rims as I recall.

Also picked up some Small Block 8s and a 2.1 Mountain King this week. Going to play around with these as well in Fruita this weekend.

I Void Waranties
    use the 2.35 on flow rims no problem seems to seal easy with a hand pump as well. Used on 9'er One. Not sure if there are ust spacific rampages but the one's i use are not...not that there are any problems this far.
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

mtbr member
    I tried a Rampage tubeless a while back and got a sidewall slash on the first ride that wouldnt seal up. Wasnt sure if it was bad luck or flimsy sidewalls. From the results all of you have been getting sounds like it was bad luck. Have been running them in front with tubes ever since and they have been great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for all the thoughts/feedback ... helps me a lot. Think I'll try the Rampage up front and keep the Ignitor on the rear. I'm looking for a good combo for reliability/performance on the trail ... I can use a diffierent combo for racing. Thanks again.

Rampages rule the roost, especially in dry loose stuff. My rigid SS has one on the front, tubeless, Bonty Mustang, 21 psi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast