Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danner182 View Post
    The bike im buying is a white/green haze called marlite. It kinda looks white, maybe im just color blind.
    Which bike are you getting?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    Which bike are you getting?
    Doesn't sound like the Luddite.

mtbr member
    Yeah thats it, Mojito. I ordered the Luddite. On my computer, the pictures I have seen resemble more of a white bike than mint/green. That doesnt bother me, it actually seems like a pretty unique color. Maybe I'll get green pedals haha. My order finally shipped last night, and I should have it Friday. Once I get it assembled, I will take several pictures.

Do any of you guys have any recent photos you could share?

meh
    There are quite a few already posted in this thread

mtbr member
    Yeah I saw them. I was just wondering if there were any "Recent" photos just for fun.

mtbr member
    Do any of you guys have any recent photos you could share?
    Ask and ye shall receive. About to go ride now but here are a few shots of mine in its current configuration. The changes are:

Titec carbon flat tracker bar.
    Forte carbon seat post.

Some cheapo specialized grips (waiting on some esi chunkies and didn't want to put the stock lock ons back on since my new grips won't be lock ons)

Forte carbon water bottle holder (except for the stem spacers and dropouts nothing else on the bike is aluminum,why should the water bottle holder be?)

Shimano DX peddles (heavy as hell but I needed a dual platform peddle because I justified the bike to my wife by telling her I needed it for family neighborhood bike rides.)

KMC X8.99 chain
    Chris King 18 tooth cog

DT Swiss 450sl wheels with a 240s single speed hub and 36 poe upgrade and RWS thru bolts off my stumpjumper (they are only about 400 grams lighter than the stock wheels. I found some Sun Ringle Black Flag Experts for $300 which weigh about the same as the 450sl wheels. I am going to see if this is enough weight loss or if I need to spend a little extra on some Stan's Arch ex wheels.)

2.2 s-works purgatory front. 2.0 s-works captain rear.

Only things I bought were the bars, seat post and water bottle holder. Everything else was out of my parts bin.

Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341932184.084973.jpg
    Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341932210.133341.jpg
    Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341932233.893915.jpg
    Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341932253.669124.jpg
    Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341932274.885276.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Zakman: looking good. Where did you get the Sun wheel set and how much does it weigh? I have a Burner Orange on order and can't wait to get it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Zakman: looking good. Where did you get the Sun wheel set and how much does it weigh? I have a Burner Orange on order and can't wait to get it.
    I didn't buy it yet. I want to ride the Luddite with my stumpy's wheels first to see if ~1 lbs weight loss is good enough or if I should spend about $200 more and go for a closer to 2 lbs loss. The sun wheels are on sale at Jenson USA for $299.99 (use coupon code 25off200 for another $25 off). They only have the 15/20 mm front hub available. Sun Ringle says you can get an adapter for 9mm qr but you have to order it through a LBS. It is part number ED2FCAPQR. I can't find it anywhere on the Internet. The black flag experts have weights on the Internet ranging from 1830 grams to 1890. The black flag experts would actually probably be closer to a 1.5 lbs weight loss.

meh
    i bought a sun ringle conversion axle for a different bike, and had the same issue...basically it was either order from an LBS or from a UK website (chain reaction had it at the time, and i was already ordering a hub from them so i added it, otherwise the LBS is prob the best route)

mtbr member
    Looking good Zakman! I cant wait to get mine.

mtbr member
    Looking good Zakman! I cant wait to get mine.
    Thanks. The color is greener then some of the pictures on the Internet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    i bought a sun ringle conversion axle for a different bike, and had the same issue...basically it was either order from an LBS or from a UK website (chain reaction had it at the time, and i was already ordering a hub from them so i added it, otherwise the LBS is prob the best route)
    Once you got the part, did it work fine?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I didn't buy it yet. I want to ride the Luddite with my stumpy's wheels first to see if ~1 lbs weight loss is good enough or if I should spend about $200 more and go for a closer to 2 lbs loss. The sun wheels are on sale at Jenson USA for $299.99 (use coupon code 25off200 for another $25 off). They only have the 15/20 mm front hub available. Sun Ringle says you can get an adapter for 9mm qr but you have to order it through a LBS. It is part number ED2FCAPQR. I can't find it anywhere on the Internet. The black flag experts have weights on the Internet ranging from 1830 grams to 1890. The black flag experts would actually probably be closer to a 1.5 lbs weight loss.
    That's a good deal, but maybe not enough weight savings compared to the Stan's. The stock wheels are a little less than 2000 grams per set. The tires and tubes are the "low hanging fruit" on this bike.

meh
    Once you got the part, did it work fine?
    yeah, works great on the rear...this is what i ordered, so not what you are looking at

mtbr member
    That's a good deal, but maybe not enough weight savings compared to the Stan's. The stock wheels are a little less than 2000 grams per set. The tires and tubes are the "low hanging fruit" on this bike.
    I think the stock wheels are more like 2400 grams. I didn't weigh the wheels by themselves but I did weigh them without the skewers after I set them up tubeless with new tires. The weights i have written down for the wheels with everything on them is 2279 rear and 2077 for the front. I subtracted the known weights of my tires, sealant, valve stems, rotors, cog, lock ring and estimated for the spacers. For some reason I didn't write down the post math weight for each individual wheel but I wrote down the set as being 2400 grams and I remember rounding down 20-30 grams.

REI has the weights of the 26er version of wheels similar to these listed as 1225 rear and 1010 front.

The Speed TCS wheels on WTB's website are not the same wheels. I couldn't even find the exact rims on the site.

I think I decided to go with the Stan's anyway. The Black Flag Experts would be at least a 500 gram weight savings but the Stan's would be about another 200 grams on top of that for about $200 more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Zakman: that does sound heavy. I set up my wife's Young Turk, but didn't weigh them on their own either. I'll weigh everything when I get the Luddite. What model are the rotors? I'll find the weight and subtract.

The Stan's can be had for 438 from outside outfitters if you look. I may upgrade the wheels after all if they're really that heavy.

mtbr member
    Avid HS1 180 mm front, 160 rear. I think I found a weight of 93g for the 160 and rounded up to 100. Don't think I found a weight for the 180 but I think I used 130g.

mtbr member
    Bike is looking good Zakman!
    I picked up my carbon bar today and my Thomson stem should be here this week. I'll put some pics up when I get it together.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    anyone running really big tires on one of these? after a longer and more technical ride today i'm thinking i'll go with something like maxxis ardent 2.4s when these x-kings go, but not sure i have the clearance in the rear (front seems like it'd be fine). i suppose i could always go 2.25 in the rear w/2.4 up front, though.

meh
    I have 2.35 Nobby Nics front and rear...they clear, but I dont remember off the top of my head how much fatter i could go

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Clearance looks great with a 2.2 slammed all the way forward on the Turk.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ordered mine last night, a large in Burner Orange. Can't wait to get it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan_msu View Post
    Ordered mine last night, a large in Burner Orange. Can't wait to get it.
    Burner Orange is coming on Monday for me!

mtbr member
    Ordered a large burner orange after lots of research.....looks like the best deal out there for what you get, only 16 left according to the Huck & Roll counter for this size and color!

mtbr member
    Whoever gets your Burner Orange first; can you post some pics of the fork? I would like to see some close ups of the matte black.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'd bet that Paragon Machine dropouts would fit in that frame. Worth a try.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Orange Civilian Luddite delivered today

Someone was asking for pictures of the orange frame. It's a very standard orange - not burnt, not neon. The "Civilian" logo is dark blue, and kind of matches the grips. The saluting icon is black, as is the "Hart designed" logo on the seat tube. Very, very nice looking bike. The carbon fork looks great in matte.

As everyone has said, the build quality seems pretty great. This is the first bike that I've bought in a number of years, so I'm not the best to judge.

Sorry for the crummy cell phone photo quality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-side.jpg  

Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-dropout.jpg  

Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-dt_logo.jpg  

Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-fork.jpg  

Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-cf_closeup.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just got the orange today too, but haven't put it together yet. Looks very nice, but the color is different then I thought. It is also more of a mat or semi mat finish which is different. Fork is pretty nice i might add.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb0605 View Post
    Someone was asking for pictures of the orange frame. It's a very standard orange - not burnt, not neon. The "Civilian" logo is dark blue, and kind of matches the grips. The saluting icon is black, as is the "Hart designed" logo on the seat tube. Very, very nice looking bike. The carbon fork looks great in matte.

As everyone has said, the build quality seems pretty great. This is the first bike that I've bought in a number of years, so I'm not the best to judge.

Sorry for the crummy cell phone photo quality.
    Looks like a great bike! What size is it? Mine is on the way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by borbntm View Post
    Looks like a great bike! What size is it? Mine is on the way.
    I ordered a medium. I may swap out the stem for a longer one, but I have short legs and a long torso (5'11"). Inaugural ride this morning. Pretty sweet ride! The rigid fork is going to rattle me to pieces in our local rock garden .

mtbr member
    Well, I ordered my bike on Friday the 7/6, and I still have not received it yet. UPS delivered to wrong address last week, and I still have yet to receive it. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well, I ordered my bike on Friday the 7/6, and I still have not received it yet. UPS delivered to wrong address last week, and I still have yet to receive it. Cheers!
    Yeah, there was some minor confusion with mine. Ordered from backcountry.com on Sunday night around midnight. The guy I ordered from said it would ship Monday. I finally called Wednesday evening to check, and this next guy explained that the bike had to be built. It finally shipped out Thursday morning and arrived Monday afternoon. Not bad.

mtbr member
    Its a monumental cluster Fudge. The bike went to an Amazon Distribution center about 5 miles from my house. I guess the UPS driver figured it was in the same town so it was close enough.I never signed for it. Anyways, Amazon cannot locate the package (I know people who work there) nor can UPS get a hold of amazon. The contact number goes straight to voicemail with all the other hundreds of calls a day.

Really good chance I will not see this bike. I wonder if i can cancel my order with backcountry?

meh
    contact backcountry, they can claim it as lost/stolen and get a lot further with ups as the shipper than you can

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    contact , they can claim it as lost/stolen and get a lot further with ups as the shipper than you can
    Agreed. Their customer service is very good.

meh
    if you buy through dept of goods right now its 20% off with 6AS-1-UGL9A

mtbr member
    Backcountry is going to expedite a new bike to me free of charge. I will have it by end of day tomorrow god willing. Seriously, some of the best customer service I have received. They think its BS that I have waited this long. UPS told them I'd have it in 3 to 4 days, and they said Forget it!

Props to Backcountry!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    if you buy through dept of goods right now its 20% off with 6AS-1-UGL9A
    I got a 15% coupon code from Huck n Roll the day after I ordered mine. I went through the checkout to see if it would work. Looks like those codes won't work since the bike is technically already 25% off. No stacking, apparently.

That's awesome that backcountry.com is taking care of you! I expected nothing less.

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb0605 View Post
    I got a 15% coupon code from Huck n Roll the day after I ordered mine. I went through the checkout to see if it would work. Looks like those codes won't work since the bike is technically already 25% off. No stacking, apparently.

That's awesome that backcountry.com is taking care of you! I expected nothing less.
    this one works, i think its actually 40% off of the original price, which works out to 20% off the sale price, about $630 shipped economy

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This is a screaming deal! Is the build the same?

meh
    Yep

mtbr member
    Is department of goods owned by the same parent company?

meh
    Yeah

mtbr member
    Squeaky wheel gets the grease. I called. They matched.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm definitely following up to see if they'll match retroactively. Theoretically, I don't see why they wouldn't - they have an unlimited return policy, so nothing stopping me from returning it and buying it from departmentofgoods.com.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ok, I was thinking of doing that too. They matched the price with coupon code too, Zakman?

meh
    Ok, I was thinking of doing that too. They matched the price with coupon code too, Zakman?
    or you can save the hassle and order from dept of goods, its all the same

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just got the bike yesterday, so I was thinking of hitting Backcountry up for a little something back ...

mtbr member
    Yes.

mtbr member
    There is a difference in the return policy. Huck n roll and Competitive Cyclist are 60 days. Department of Goods is 30 days and I think Backcountry is 100 days.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast