Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    well, i just ordered mine
    btw:
    2 day free shipping through backcountry
    free economy shipping and free jersey through huck-n-roll
    no deals from competitive cyclist
    Awesome! Two day free shipping is a better deal. I got my free jersey today and guarantee I will never wear it. My bike should be here tomorrow.
    Last edited by Zakman; 06-25-2012 at 05:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Unless it's ended, competitive cyclist had 25% off all Civilian bikes earlier today. Does anyone have any experience with the Young Turk? I'd rather have the BB7 brakes instead of the Elixers, but I like the Reba RL fork w/ 15 mm maxle, and converting the Young Turk to SS is a simple fix. For $1,200, the Young Turk looks like a nice SS with a decent fork. But the Salsa El Mar is only a few dollars more (and a few pounds lighter), so Im still on the fence. And the Ti Selma and new SIR9 are also calling my name.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tiki View Post
    Unless it's ended, competitive cyclist had 25% off all Civilian bikes earlier today. Does anyone have any experience with the Young Turk? I'd rather have the BB7 brakes instead of the Elixers, but I like the Reba RL fork w/ 15 mm maxle, and converting the Young Turk to SS is a simple fix. For $1,200, the Young Turk looks like a nice SS with a decent fork. But the Salsa El Mar is only a few dollars more (and a few pounds lighter), so Im still on the fence. And the Ti Selma and new SIR9 are also calling my name.
    Young Turk does not have the maxle - really wish mine came with it the way it was advertised. For the price you get quite a bit of good parts. I might give a call to ask if paint issues are the real reason the Turks are no longer for sale on the various sites(except Comp. Cyclist - w/ no free ship). Still thinking of returning it and trying the El Mar 3 if there is an issue other the paint as I have read here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaugbrad View Post
    Young Turk does not have the maxle - really wish mine came with it the way it was advertised. For the price you get quite a bit of good parts. I might give a call to ask if paint issues are the real reason the Turks are no longer for sale on the various sites(except Comp. Cyclist - w/ no free ship). Still thinking of returning it and trying the El Mar 3 if there is an issue other the paint as I have read here.
    I ordered a small the Young Turk today for my wife. If the paint looks nice, it is nice. I guess they had problems with some units (I was the guy that posted about the paint). The Turk is only on CC now ($99 shipping) and none of the many other sites - I wonder if they're having to look over lots of frames to get good ones to ship and want a little extra money for the trouble?

The Salsa is nice, but the fork is not as good and they want $1,500 for it and you'd need to pay $1,900 to get one with the Reba compared to $1,124 for the Turk. The main thing lacking on the Turk are the wheels I think.

How do you like the bike anyway?

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tiki View Post
    Unless it's ended, competitive cyclist had 25% off all Civilian bikes earlier today.
    yeah its been that way for at least a couple weeks, all 3 sites have the 25% off, doubt it'll go away anytime soon either if at all...hell I won't be surprised to see them on chainlove in a few months at 40-50% off

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Can anyone confirm how the Reba comes equipped on the Young Turk? 9mm qr?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    Can anyone confirm how the Reba comes equipped on the Young Turk? 9mm qr?
    Mine came w/ standard 9mm.

mtbr member
    I put the Luddite together last night. It is an awesome looking bike that I'm sure will get some compliments. The medium feels just right with the stem slammed. I'm going to ditch the riser bars for some carbon flat bars asap.
    The drive side tensioner bolts were way over torqued. I nearly blew out a filling trying to break them free. That's my one and only complaint. So far...
    We're getting slammed by tropical storm Debbie. Hopefully I'll make the trails this weekend.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum Jones View Post
    I put the Luddite together last night. It is an awesome looking bike that I'm sure will get some compliments. The medium feels just right with the stem slammed. I'm going to ditch the riser bars for some carbon flat bars asap.
    The drive side tensioner bolts were way over torqued. I nearly blew out a filling trying to break them free. That's my one and only complaint. So far...
    We're getting slammed by tropical storm Debbie. Hopefully I'll make the trails this weekend.
    Was there much to put together? HnR would have you believe you can ride the bike out of the box. What color did you get?

meh
    Ordered mine around 6pm cst yesterday and its arriving tomorrow with the free 2 day shipping, awesome
    that was 2 hours after the expected cutoff time according to backcountry's shipping info (4pm cst) to get the order out yesterday, but it still got shipped

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Was there much to put together? HnR would have you believe you can ride the bike out of the box. What color did you get?
    It's pretty much put together. Attach the handlebars to the stem, slide in the seatpost, and put on the wheels. It was even tensioned correctly.

I bought the Mojito.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    I got mine today. Heading out on the inaugural ride now. Confirmed 26.6 lbs for a large. I can tell just from the bedding in process the first order of business will be new tires.

Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340735968.553239.jpg

Not the best picture of the bike but as you can see the weather is perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    I got mine today. Heading out on the inaugural ride now. Confirmed 26.6 lbs for a large. I can tell just from the bedding in process the first order of business will be new tires.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340735968.553239.jpg 
Views:	1383 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	706516

Not the best picture of the bike but as you can see the weather is perfect.
    Sweat! Are the tires too heavy and slow for you? I'll keep the front maybe, but need something fast for the back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I really like the mojito color. Not quite the Bianchi celeste, but in the same family. It's a nice deviation from the herd of current production bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Sweat! Are the tires too heavy and slow for you? I'll keep the front maybe, but need something fast for the back.
    I can't speak for zakman, but I've had a nevagal as a front before. They're slow rolling and heavy. I'm pretty sure they're 800+ grams a piece. That's way too much IMO. Especially with tubes.

I ordered a stock set of arch ex with the ztr hubs and a 2.4 RaRa to go with the 2.2 I have now for the back. Also a 700mm Noir T30 flat carbon bar. The alu riser that came stock is not gonna work for me. I'm done throwing money at this for now. It should be a sweet set up once it's all together.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I can't speak for zakman, but I've had a nevagal as a front before. They're slow rolling and heavy. I'm pretty sure they're 800+ grams a piece. That's way too much IMO. Especially with tubes.

I ordered a stock set of arch ex with the ztr hubs and a 2.4 RaRa to go with the 2.2 I have now for the back. Also a 700mm Noir T30 flat carbon bar. The alu riser that came stock is not gonna work for me. I'm done throwing money at this for now. It should be a sweet set up once it's all together.
    That is heavy; Rampages are only a little over 700 grams. Post some photos when you're done. Wheels and tires will make the bike much lighter.

mtbr member
    I had my first ride today, about 10.5 miles. I normally do this loop in an hour and change on my Stumpjumper SS. I did it in 1:05 on the Luddite. Wasn't really pushing it so i was surprised at the time. The bike felt slow and heavy on the climbs but i think that will be solved by new tires and wheels. I do this loop on my full squish 26er in about 1:05 too and that is with really bombing the downhills. I was not bombing the downhills on the Luddite so even though it felt slow and heavy the bike must of been climbing well.

I love the fork. I haven't ridden a rigid bike before but this fork feels light and stiff to me. It goes where you point it and holds the line. I used the brakes a whole lot less on this bike than on my stumpy.

I love the feel of the bike. The + rise stem and riser bars definitely give it more of a trail bike feel. The Nevegals are slow rolling and heavy. They will be switched out shortly. I've ridden them before and I didn't keep them long that time either. I have a pair of 2.2 Captain Controls that I will probably put on for the time being.

Nothing on the bike is light but it all works. Just about anything you switch out will result in a weight savings. Even the lock ring on the rear hub looks heavy.

This is my first experience with BB7s and I can see why people like them so much. The rear brake needed a bit of adjustment out of the box, too much play in the lever. It took me about 20 seconds of looking at them to figure out what needed to be done and to do it. Probably would of had to do a bleed on my elixirs.

The bike came mostly together. Put the wheels on, put the bars on, put the seat post on, add pedals and your done. Two tiny complaints about the condition of the bike upon arrival. It was missing one zip tie for the rear brake cable and the front brake cable needs an end cap.

The bolts to adjust the sliding dropouts are standard run of the mill bolts. I think hex bolts might have been better.

I think it is a great deal at $786.75. Most of the money is definitely in the frame and fork.

I plan on getting new wheels for off road use. I also will probably get a set of stock Arch EXs. That combined with new tires will probably be close to a 2 lbs weight savings where it counts the most.

I will probably put a set of slicks on the stock wheels and use them for commuting and family bike rides.

All in all I am very pleased.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Zakman - thanks for the nice post-ride review. Glad you are liking your bike. I'll be curious to see your bike weight after the tire/wheel upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nice mini-review Zakman; this is very helpful. I'll be interested to hear what you think when you change out the wheels and tires. The tires are very heavy and they most likely have big heavy tubes as well. I also think it's is interesting that you kept the same time as your 26er FS. BB7s are great brakes, but a pain to dial in when first installed (at least for me).

meh
    i also will be swapping the tires out for some 2.35 nobby nics, nevegals are the suck
    really would like to stay off the nevegals while waiting on the NN though so i can sell them as new...but thats gonna be tough

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post

The bolts to adjust the sliding dropouts are standard run of the mill bolts. I think hex bolts might have been better.
    One solution: If the link doesn't work, check out ParagonMachineWorks - they have a complete line of aftermarket bolts and parts for sliding dropouts, among other things.

Looking forward to hearing more about the Luddite and Young Turk as more people start riding them and swapping out stock wheels and tires.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Desert RAT
    I just ordered mine, Im stoked. I got the free 2-day shipping at backcountry. I got the Large Mojito.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Keep the ride reports coming ...

mtbr member

Did you get the regular ZTR hub or the single speed version?

meh
    no ride report yet (other than a shakedown in my parking garage), but heres what i have:
    I'm 5'11", 32" inseam, normal proportions, main ride is an Ibis Mojo size large with a 23.6" ett and a 70mm stem, also ride a Salsa Fargo in large but i hesitate to compare it since its a drop bar touring/mountain bike...i ordered the medium Luddite with a 23.5" ett, and put on a 70mm spare stem I have (the 100mm feels a bit sluggish)...bike feels really good to me, without having ridden a Large, I would say this is perfect for me (I ride aggressive XC/trail/am/whatever you want to call it, anti racer though)...never owned a ss/rigid 29er but it will be a great compliment to my 26" FS

packaging and pre-build were well done (properly torqued, greased threads, protected components...even located the tire logos properly)...the only adjustments needed were the brakes which was expected and the rotors seemed to have a slight bend in each one that was easy to straighten out
    bike is beautiful, as has been documented, understated graphics, great color scheme...only niggle is the glossy fork vs matte but i plan to spray can some matte clear coat on it...fork is 3k weave and fades to black at the lower legs, and has the saluting guy and CVLN on the inside of either leg in blue (hard to see in most pics)
    waiting on some 2.35 TLR Nobby Nics next week before i take it on the trail (selling the Nevegals), gonna put some XT 775 hydros on this week that were replaced by the 785's on my mojo (prob gonna sell the BB7's), and have some chinese carbon 9/10mm thru axle wheels on order, will keep the originals for an urban tire set up
    also, came with some spare parts including a slider for a derailleur

here are some phone pics of it before any mods

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast