Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    backcountry
    It's weird how many sites they have and how stuff comes and goes from some sites. Still a great company however.

On the plus side: Backcountry has a forever return policy compared to 60 days at the others. So try to break the frame now.

meh
    its still up on huck n roll
    edit: well, it was, then 5 seconds later, gone...then after a couple refreshes, back up...weird

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    its still up on huck n roll
    edit: well, it was, then 5 seconds later, gone...then after a couple refreshes, back up...weird
    Maybe mountain bikers are bad IT people.

mtbr member

I got it today!

You guys were right , tires are terrible, I switched them to small block 8's. I also had a Thomson stem laying around so I put that on there. I have a carbon post somewhere that I am also going to add. Bike rides great, very different from my Jabberwocky. I am looking forward to an Independence day ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-101_0283.jpg  

Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-101_0284.jpg  

Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-101_0285.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Joshua_B: what was the biggest difference you noticed compared to the Jabber so far?

mtbr member
    The geometry is totally different, that is what stood out first thing. You get a much more upright position. I really like the bike, but I would not use it for any 12 or 24 hour races. To me the Jabber has much better geometry for being on it for a long time. The Luddite is a super fun bike that begs to be ridden very aggressive. It wants to be jumped and whipped around. It's a great bike!

mtbr member
    Just received an e-mail from Huck n' Roll, 25% off Civilian bikes! Check it out!

meh
    little late to the party, theyve been on sale a while now

mtbr member

Fork

If you look at the fork on the Luddite, at the bottom it goes from carbon to black, is the fork still carbon or is it fiberglass weaved to the carbon? Because the dropouts appear to be fiberglass to me?

meh
    i assumed it was full carbon but didnt really look that closely at mine
    its listed as a bevato fork, and this is the one in their lineup i would think it is (described as full carbon)

mtbr member
    little late to the party, theyve been on sale a while now
    No reason to go out and impulse buy one then... Damn female marketing almost got me.

meh
    yeah, i mentioned it earlier, but they probably wont go back up in price, they usually mark down their in house stuff from list price pretty quickly and keep it there or go lower (like stoic clothing/gear) and at some point these will prob end up on chainlove when they are ready to clear them out for the next years paint job

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_B View Post
    The geometry is totally different, that is what stood out first thing. You get a much more upright position. I really like the bike, but I would not use it for any 12 or 24 hour races. To me the Jabber has much better geometry for being on it for a long time. The Luddite is a super fun bike that begs to be ridden very aggressive. It wants to be jumped and whipped around. It's a great bike!
    Great to hear. I'm building a Salsa El Mar and it has geo somewhat like your Jabber, so now I have more reasons to buy the Luddite (and excuses). Sounds like a fun bike indeed.

mtbr member
    The Luddite went on a diet today. It'll be Saturday before I'm at the lbs for an official weigh in, but I'm thinking it dropped at least three pounds.
    I mounted up my archex with a 2.4 RaRa in the front and a 2.25 RoRo in the back. For kicks I threw the stock front wheel with tire/tube/rotor on my kitchen scale it weighed ~2500 grams. The archex with the rotor, RaRa and stans weighed ~1650. I imagine the difference in rear wheels is about the same. Nice.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum Jones View Post
    The Luddite went on a diet today. It'll be Saturday before I'm at the lbs for an official weigh in, but I'm thinking it dropped at least three pounds.
    I mounted up my archex with a 2.4 RaRa in the front and a 2.25 RoRo in the back. For kicks I threw the stock front wheel with tire/tube/rotor on my kitchen scale it weighed ~2500 grams. The archex with the rotor, RaRa and stans weighed ~1650. I imagine the difference in rear wheels is about the same. Nice.
    Looking forward to the weigh in; sounds like around 3+ pounds of lose.

mtbr member
    I'm in the trailhead parking lot now, speechless with a perma-grin! This bike just got super fast. I knew the wheels were going to improve the ride, but this thing's a rocket. I get the rigid SS thing now. Badass.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum Jones View Post
    I'm in the trailhead parking lot now, speechless with a perma-grin! This bike just got super fast. I knew the wheels were going to improve the ride, but this thing's a rocket. I get the rigid SS thing now. Badass.
    It is super fun. It is the only bike I want to ride now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    I finished working on my bike for the day. I shaved 890 grams off the fat girl for the cost of a roll of gorilla tape. (Which my wife thinks is too much money to have spent). Everything else I already owned. On top of the new tires and tubeless setup (which cut 760 grams) I put on a KMC 8.99 chain. Same number of links saved 109 grams. Eighteen tooth Chris King cog cut 17 grams and a different lock ring (needed one with longer threads after having had to used different spacers to account for the wider base cog) cut 4 grams. The spacers were a wash.
    How did the tubeless setup go? Any tips? I noticed the stock rims are very tight with most tires.

mtbr member
    Hi everyone, first post!

I am about to pull the trigger on one of these, and I was just curious what size to get. I'm 6'5" and I'm guessing around a 35" inseam. I'm guessing I should probably just go with the XL? Better to be too big than too small right?

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Dan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danner182 View Post
    Hi everyone, first post!

I am about to pull the trigger on one of these, and I was just curious what size to get. I'm 6'5" and I'm guessing around a 35" inseam. I'm guessing I should probably just go with the XL? Better to be too big than too small right?

Dan
    I am 6'1 and 3/4 and the large fits me perfect. If you have a friend who can help, I believe the competitive cyclist website has a fit calculator. At 6'5 I think you would be XL maybe even boardering on XXL if they have one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    How did the tubeless setup go? Any tips? I noticed the stock rims are very tight with most tires.
    Tubeless set up was a breeze once I got the stock tires off. They really didn't want to budge. At first I used two layers of gorilla tape but that made it too tight. Pulled one layer off and and no problems from there. Tires inflated with just a top peak joe blow sport floor pump and I wasn't even pumping fast. They inflated so easily that I felt like I could have used a mini pump and it would have worked. The bead popped into place no problem the first time. I brought the bike to work the next day so I could stop for a ride on the way home. When I was putting the bike on my roof rack I realized I put the tires on backwards. I took the tires off and carefully flipped them around so as not to spill much sealant. They re-inflated and snapped into place just as easily, this time without the help of soap and water.

Just follow the Stan's instructions and it should be easy.

meh
    Hi everyone, first post!

Dan
    as zakman said, use the competitive cyclist fit calculator, its been spot on for me...6'5" seems like you may want the XXL size, but i have no idea

mtbr member
    Hmmm. Yeah it seems like the XL-T may be in my best interest. I just dont want to have a lot of standover. I'm currently running a 21" Top Tube Specialized and it feels pretty good. Ive always needed at least 21" since I was bmx riding as a teenager. They size chart at Civilians webstie says the virtual top tube is 26" long on the XLT. I wonder how close it is to 21" from stem to seat post on the top tube.

mtbr member
    Hmmm. Yeah it seems like the XL-T may be in my best interest. I just dont want to have a lot of standover. I'm currently running a 21" Top Tube Specialized and it feels pretty good. Ive always needed at least 21" since I was bmx riding as a teenager. They size chart at Civilians webstie says the virtual top tube is 26" long on the XLT. I wonder how close it is to 21" from stem to seat post on the top tube.
    You can use the archive on Specialized's website to compare the geometry of your current bike with the geometry of the Luddite. That's what I did before I ordered. The only problem with that is one is listed in inches and the other is metric so you have to do some conversion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My XL Turk fits me @ 6'1 & 35" inseam. Check the fit calculator to be sure TT length is close enough for a small change in stem length to fit. Stand over w/ my XL is about 3.5"

mtbr member
    I just measured my inseam. Its actually 37.5".....I grew up near power lines.

Im chatting with someone at backcountry right now, and they are suggesting the XLT model. I guess I have no other choice lol.

meh
    it takes 5 minutes to measure and fill out the CC calculator, and if you have an account you can save it for future reference (gives road and mtn bike sizing)...id give it a shot before pulling the trigger, not to say it will change your purchase, but should give peace of mind

mtbr member
    I think at 37.5" inseam I would be too big for XL. I may even be pushing too big for the XLT. I think they built the XLT for a chewbacca size being like myself. I think it will be fine.

I just pulled the trigger btw.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Received My XLT luddite today, I'm 6'6" 270lbs. Immediately went to the local trail head and did a ride around the lake. It was a blast. The bike rode great, but when i got back the chain had gotten some slack in it so i adjusted it back taught, Went again after my friend got off work and when we got back the sliders had slipped forward again. Any tips on getting it to hold? I set the tension bolt after setting the sliders after the first ride. i was thinking about sanding the paint off, or should i just wait and see if it stops after a few rides?

mtbr member
    Not exactly what I want to hear. Is this why a lot of people do the vertical drop outs? It seems like other bikes have this same problem too. The damn 2 day free shipping was no longer available either.

Oh well, I'm still psyched!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not exactly what I want to hear. Is this why a lot of people do the vertical drop outs? It seems like other bikes have this same problem too. The damn 2 day free shipping was no longer available either.

Oh well, I'm still psyched!!
    Do theses slip for smaller guys, say in the 160 range?

mtbr member
    I just weighed it out at the lbs. 23.61 as it sits now. It'll be under 23 with the carbon bars and new stim. I can live with that.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

meh
    Went for my first real ride yesterday, first time on a ss or rigid so it's hard to have a good take...while I'm sold on ss, rigid will take some getting used too, or I'll throw a susp fork on it, I def see how it can make you a better rider physically/technique coming from 4 years of 140mm fs riding since the last time I even had a hardtail...that said, the geo is really nice, trail bike feel, fun to rail and great on flow, throwing on 70mm stem was a drastic improvement in handling, also swapped 2.35 nobby nice and xt hydros, all combined dropped about a pound, waiting on wheels/tubeless

No issue with chain tension as above

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    haven't been doing much riding lately, but i finally got my bike where i want it to be. the 18T cog was just way too tall for the riding around here, so i swapped it out for a 22T surly cog yesterday. however, the stock chain was too short so i had to pick up another chain this morning (in case anyone else is thinking of going to a 22T). this gearing's much more reasonable when it comes to rocky technical stuff with lots of climbing, at least for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rocktownrook View Post
    haven't been doing much riding lately, but i finally got my bike where i want it to be. the 18T cog was just way too tall for the riding around here, so i swapped it out for a 22T surly cog yesterday. however, the stock chain was too short so i had to pick up another chain this morning (in case anyone else is thinking of going to a 22T). this gearing's much more reasonable when it comes to rocky technical stuff with lots of climbing, at least for me.
    I'll need to go either 21t or 22t for our mountains and my current slightly out of shape condition. Do you think 21t would work?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'll need to go either 21t or 22t for our mountains and my current slightly out of shape condition. Do you think 21t would work?
    i would think so. if i knew i'd need a longer chain for 22T, i probably would've just gone with a 21T cog. that said, i'm not 100% sure you'll have enough chain for 21T, but you might.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i would think so. if i knew i'd need a longer chain for 22T, i probably would've just gone with a 21T cog. that said, i'm not 100% sure you'll have enough chain for 21T, but you might.
    I have an extra chain that is lighter anyway. How's it climb with the 22t? Does the front wheel stay on the ground?

mtbr member
    I just finished up my first ride at an imba certified trail on the SS. We don't have the long extended climbs here in Florida, but we do have plenty of short steep rocky tech. I PR'd or second bested all my times on strava today. I would say SS rigid is definitely fast
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    This will be my first 29er period, let alone Ss rigid. My current rig is a FS geared 26". Is it a bear to crank up hills on a SS? I left my bike in one gear today, and it was rough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This will be my first 29er period, let alone Ss rigid. My current rig is a FS geared 26". Is it a bear to crank up hills on a SS? I left my bike in one gear today, and it was rough.
    It depends on the gear; but SS can be harder. On the plus side, you'll be an animal after a while. What gear were you in?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have an extra chain that is lighter anyway. How's it climb with the 22t? Does the front wheel stay on the ground?
    just got back from my first real ride. the bike climbs very well with the 22T cog. only a few short steep pitches on this ride, but the front end never really felt like it wanted to lift.

but as well as the big cog works for climbing, i still wished i had lower gearing in rocky sections. i suppose i'll figure out what i'm doing and get stronger eventually, but there's definitely a bit of a learning curve when it comes to riding that stuff. that, and remembering to stay well back since there's no give up front.

but riding a rigid bike in technical stuff seems to be simultaneously more difficult in the sense that it takes more concentration, but more secure in that you can count on where your wheel's gonna be when you decide to put it somewhere.

mtbr member
    I have a hardtail geared 26, not Full suspension. I was in 3 and 4 i believe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    longer ride this morning...this bike's a blast to ride. a few climbs defeated me, but it's surprising what you can pull when you don't have a choice. over the course of a couple hours i could feel myself getting much better at choosing lines through rocky sections, and it really made me conscious of how little i pay attention to line selection on my el mar (w/reba fork).

surprisingly, i found i can run my front tire at lower pressure (23-24 psi; x-king 2.2 tubeless) on this bike than i could on the el mar (where i ran the same tire closer to 30 up front). i suppose it's not that surprising, though, when you think about how much more you pay attention to line selection and what you're rolling over. rear pressure was about the same as usual.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    longer ride this morning...this bike's a blast to ride. a few climbs defeated me, but it's surprising what you can pull when you don't have a choice. over the course of a couple hours i could feel myself getting much better at choosing lines through rocky sections, and it really made me conscious of how little i pay attention to line selection on my el mar (w/reba fork).

surprisingly, i found i can run my front tire at lower pressure (23-24 psi; x-king 2.2 tubeless) on this bike than i could on the el mar (where i ran the same tire closer to 30 up front). i suppose it's not that surprising, though, when you think about how much more you pay attention to line selection and what you're rolling over. rear pressure was about the same as usual.
    No shame in walking every now and again on a SS; it is expected even in races. Low pressure is your friend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have a hardtail geared 26, not Full suspension. I was in 3 and 4 i believe.
    Figure out the gear inches and then translate to the 29er.

mtbr member
    I forgot the bike doesnt come with pedals. I have some light weight platform choices narrowed down. On a white bike, would white pedals work, or just stick with black? I know silly question, but Im just curious what most people use on white bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I forgot the bike doesnt come with pedals. I have some light weight platform choices narrowed down. On a white bike, would white pedals work, or just stick with black? I know silly question, but Im just curious what most people use on white bikes.
    They don't make a white version anyway - so black.

mtbr member
    The bike im buying is a white/green haze called marlite. It kinda looks white, maybe im just color blind.

meh
    Civilian Luddite? It comes in mojito, its a mint green

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast