Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    will you comment on your fit dgaddis? i see you got a large, how tall are you and howd the geo work out?
    top tube looks longer than im used to
    I'm 5'10" and usually right between mediums and larges. The large Luddite has about the same ETT as my medium Jabberwocky, so that's why I went with the large.

It's tall. I can stand over the bike, but there's no clearance. I'm lightly tea bagging the top tube basically.

The bars are higher than I like too...but, I'm a slammed stem kinda guy. With the Luddite's stem all the way down, and flipped to the drop position, I still wish the bars were an inch or so lower. Swapping to a flat bar,and looking for a different headset cap (the stock one is taaaalll) would solve that. It's kind of a trail bike type riding position, a lot more upright than the typical head down a$$ up XC racing position many SS's have, like my Jabber. That's a good thing for some folks, not so much for other folks, just depends on your riding style and how you like to sit.

meh
    thanks
    im 5'11" but am leaning toward the medium whos top tube is very similar to my current large

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah, TT length is the number to look at.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm 5' 10" and will go with a 17" if the reviews come in ok.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am 5'7 leaning toward the medium (which Huck n Roll lists as 17") and has a 15" seat tube. I ride a bike now with similar Top Tube so think it would be bette thean the shorter 22" on the small.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nice review! If I were looking for a fully rigid bike, the Luddite definitely looks like a great bike for the money, especially at the $785 Huck & Roll sale price. But by the time I added a suspension fork to a 27lb bike (presumed weight of an XL size), it would be north of 30lbs. Given my body weight, a 30lb bike is nothing, but still . . .

Thanks again for the solid review. It looks like the Luddite will give the Kona Unit and the Redline Monocog Flight a run for their money. If anyone adds a susp fork to his Luddite, please post photos and a review.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tiki View Post
    Nice review! If I were looking for a fully rigid bike, the Luddite definitely looks like a great bike for the money, especially at the $785 Huck & Roll sale price. But by the time I added a suspension fork to a 27lb bike (presumed weight of an XL size), it would be north of 30lbs. Given my body weight, a 30lb bike is nothing, but still . . .

Thanks again for the solid review. It looks like the Luddite will give the Kona Unit and the Redline Monocog Flight a run for their money. If anyone adds a susp fork to his Luddite, please post photos and a review.
    I believe the Civilian Young Turk is the same frame as the Luddite but comes with gears and a suspension fork. I think I saw a weight of 28 lbs floating around somewhere. You can probably drop close to a pound just by getting rid of the Neverolls.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    I believe the Civilian Young Turk is the same frame as the Luddite but comes with gears and a suspension fork. I think I saw a weight of 28 lbs floating around somewhere. You can probably drop close to a pound just by getting rid of the Neverolls.
    The Young Turk has to be 30+lbs. The Luddite is over 27lbs with pedals. Adding a suspension fork will add at least two pounds, and a 1x drivetrain will add at least 1 more pound.

That said, if you want suspension, the Young Turk is probably the way to go, probably less expensive than buying the Luddite and a fork. Then either move the shifty bits over to another bike, or sell 'em to get a little $$ back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post

I'm betting on close to a three pound weight loss from a stock set of arch ex's, RaRa's, and going tubless. Swap the seatpost and bars with some lighter spec'd parts and you're rolling at 23 or under for reasonable money.
    Hopefully this will hold me over until I can build up a real blinglespeed.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the review! I like the idea that the bike's geo is a hair more "trail bike" than typical XC - it gives me a lame reason to buy one.

Could it run a 120mm fork? Justing thinking out loud. Did anyone else get their's? What about the guy that was going to pass it off as a yard sale bike, did that work?

mtbr member
    Mine is scheduled for delivery this coming Monday. I might not make it in the trail for a proper review until next weekend though.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

meh
    id think a 120 fork would be ok
    but youd want to check with civilian as far as how that might affect warranty, if thats a concern

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    id think a 120 fork would be ok
    but youd want to check with civilian as far as how that might affect warranty, if thats a concern
    Thanks - I'd ride rigid, but I like options.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Got this response about the Y'Turk being removed from HnR:

Mike N.: So we received those bikes, and there were a couple of frmes that didn't meet the finish standard that we wanted.
    Mike N.: We're holding off shipping those bikes until we can check all of them and determing that they are up to our quality standard.

I'd still try the Luddite.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    The Young Turk has to be 30+lbs. The Luddite is over 27lbs with pedals. Adding a suspension fork will add at least two pounds, and a 1x drivetrain will add at least 1 more pound.

That said, if you want suspension, the Young Turk is probably the way to go, probably less expensive than buying the Luddite and a fork. Then either move the shifty bits over to another bike, or sell 'em to get a little $$ back.
    Yes, but the Young Turk comes with Elixer 3's instead of BB7's - a step in the wrong direction for me. And the YT is likely 30lbs. For the cost of replacing the wheels, tires and tubes (and any cockpit parts), you could probably buy Salsa El Mar 2, which, in size large, weighs 27 lbs, geared and that's with tubes and heavy tires. In other words, I think you could get into a more proven, lighter bike with better resale value for less money than retro-fitting a Luddite or Young Turk.

And on the crazy-expensive-build end of the spectrum, have you seen the new Niner SIR9 ? Wow! Large frame naked weighs 4.5lbs, and painted with rear maxle and seat clamp installed weighs 5.25lbs. That said, I am sure I'd wind up spending $3k or more building a SS SIR9.

But for a more sensibly priced complete bike, both the Young Turk and Luddite look great. I can't wait to see more photos and ride reports as they start arriving.

mtbr member
    That new sir is awesome.
    Hopefully one day I'll be able to build a sir up.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum Jones View Post
    That new sir is awesome.
    Hopefully one day I'll be able to build a sir up.
    I'm in the same boat. I have a monocog flight that is slightly too small for me and the suspension fork is nothing to brag about. But if the frame fit me, I wouldn't even be looking at Luddites, SIR9's, Selmas, and El Mariachias. Point is, I bet the Luddite puts a grin on your face - any bike you're riding is better than a bike you don't have.

Post lots of photos when you get your Luddite.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Thanks for the review! I like the idea that the bike's geo is a hair more "trail bike" than typical XC - it gives me a lame reason to buy one.

Could it run a 120mm fork? Justing thinking out loud. Did anyone else get their's? What about the guy that was going to pass it off as a yard sale bike, did that work?
    I haven't received mine yet. I have a package from huck n roll scheduled for delivery on Monday and one for Tuesday. I am sure Monday is the free jersey and tuesday is the bike.

My wife is way too smart to believe that it is a used bike so I told her about it. It turns out she and I have different opinions of what "reasonably priced" is. I told her it was under $800 and she almost flipped. She said it had better have been under $100. That was the end of it but I am sure I will hear more about it on Tuesday. There are only so many places you can hide a bike in a 3 bedroom house.

I am not going to argue with the only guy who has actually ridden one but huck n roll and amazon list the Luddite's weight as 25 lbs for a large and the Young Turk as 28 I am sure the Luddite is 26.6 lbs but I am crossing my fingers that when mine comes it is only 25 lbs. Doesn't matter to me either way, I would have bought one anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    An extra 2 lbs of bike weight is less than 1% of my body weight. I suspect there may be some elite athletes and other disciplined riders on this forum with body fat content of less than 6%, but most of us can shed 2 lbs of fat (or in my case 10lbs). While I get overly concerned with bike and part weights like many on this forum, the reality is I should buy the bike that fits my needs, budget, and peculiar aesthetic sense, then lose the weight by riding that bike. But what would happen to the mtbr forums if we all did that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I ordered my Luddite last Tuesday and just got it yesterday. Put it together and converted it to ghetto tubeless last night. Going for my first ride tomorrow morning. I'll try to remember to take pics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I haven't weighed it yet but it seems heavier than my aluminum, geared 26er (which I sold to buy the Luddite). I'm not super concerned about weight though. I carry a camelback full of water and spare parts and tools on every ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For those that are getting it from Huck N Roll, I'd also be curious to see if their build service lives up to their copy writers hype. What colors are people going for?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I don't know how they handle their distribution after the mergers/acquisitions, but I suspect the Civilian brand is handled by the CC guys, regardless of which of the company's websites one orders from. Given that, I am sure the build and packaging will be top-flight.

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    For those that are getting it from Huck N Roll, I'd also be curious to see if their build service lives up to their copy writers hype. What colors are people going for?
    not sure what reservations you might have, but their customer service is top flight, and looks like their builds are too, this is a pick of the packaged bike from the on test review dgaddis already posted

im also in the not concerned about the weight category, it seems to come in 1 or 2 pounds at least below comparable bikes (monocog flight, kona unit) from what ive seen posted by others here on mtbr

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast