Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?

Quote Originally Posted by newdee View Post
    Pulled the trigger and made the mistake of riding it home. Now i want it!
    You'll need to get a new one when or if they have come out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    You'll need to get a new one when or if they have come out.
    I know. Its a small, and i'm roughly 5'10" and i didn't have an allen key to put the seat back up, so it was like riding a giant bmx, with a giant grin the whole way home.

mtbr member
    Whats the consensus on weight with this bike? Bone stock with pedals it weighed 26.8 lbs. Seems high as i think i saw some people quoting 26.X lbs for large sizes? Tires and wheels gotta go. Im hoping we can get it down to under 23.

This bike has a pretty high front end. Has anyone swapped out the risers to a big sweep bar or alt bar? Photos?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Mine weighs 25 with almost everything stock except Charger wheels and 690/790 gram tires tubeless. I can make it almost 23 even when I throw on Crests with lighter tires. The frame is 6+ pounds, so it'll never be that light. I happen to love the high front and the low risers feel perfect to me.

mtbr member
    I have had mine down to high 23/low 24 lb range but currently at 25.2 lbs with fatty 2.4 Conti. Mountain Kings rolling tubless on Stan's Arch EX wheelset. I am running a Niner Carbon flat top bar and an Easton carbon post at this weight (size large). I love the high front end with the 100mm rigid fork. Super comfortable and lots of fun to toss around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newdee View Post
    Whats the consensus on weight with this bike? Bone stock with pedals it weighed 26.8 lbs. Seems high as i think i saw some people quoting 26.X lbs for large sizes? Tires and wheels gotta go. Im hoping we can get it down to under 23.

This bike has a pretty high front end. Has anyone swapped out the risers to a big sweep bar or alt bar? Photos?
    Mine is 23 even and I run tubes. Everything except frame, fork, and headset have been replaced. 1500g wheelset onboard. I could get to 22.3ish if I went tubeless. But I don't ride enough to make that worth it. To get to a solid 22 pound bike you will need to buy nice stuff. XO cranks and the like. No middle of the road stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alefak View Post
    My quick take:
    - The deal on Competitive Cyclist was smoking while it lasted consdiering a lot of folks nabbed the whole bike for the same price as just the bare frame.
    - The new frameset looks like a better rear dropout design (looks like less potential for slipping)
    - Not buying the "up to a pound" lighter statement.... the thing is a tank then, it still is in the new design
    - I wonder about the paint durability based on the fact they are using the same factory
    - I doubt I would spend $600 for the frame,... I think my price point would be closer to $475-525 for the bare frame (no HS, seat clamp, fork)
    - New colors don't do anything for me... then again.... I like white bikes....
    - I like the abilty to run a belt as its always interested me...and not that there is anything in a name... but the Luddite now has a full tapered carbon fork, machined head tube, BB30 shell, carbon drive drivetrain... about the only thing not current tech is the tubeset. Not complaining, its just funny.

Stellar bike. I am not sure I will ever have a reason to sell mine.... but price point jumped up a bit too high at which point I wouild probabliy just get a Niner SIR.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

It's interesting how far up market they're trying to go. I love mine, but this is a stiffer and heavier type frame and I don't think the special "founder's blend" steel will change that much. The frame still looks burly. My $150 On One is smother and lighter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    It's interesting how far up market they're trying to go. I love mine, but this is a stiffer and heavier type frame and I don't think the special "founder's blend" steel will change that much. The frame still looks burly. My $150 On One is smother and lighter.
    I agree. I also have an Inbred and there seems to be a pretty big contrast between the tubing. Although, its pretty hard to complain since we bought the Luddite for $400 and it was ridden about twice judging by the wear(or lack thereof) on the tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Just converted mine to 1x10
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-image.jpg  

Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Has anyone put a drop bar on one of these? The high front end seems like it would work well for that like a Fargo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If anyone still has the original truvativ GXP crank and bottom bracket, can you take a pic and post it of the drive side space between the chainring and the bottom bracket? I had mine apart and need to see what it should look like. For some reason I have about a 1/4" gap between the chainring and the BB now when I put it back together. Just want to make sure something is not messed up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Is there any play in the cransket? I can check mine tonight but i have removed reinstalled the crank multiple times and dont remember a space that that looks like that. I think if you installed wrong you would have play unless you did something like put wave washer on wrong side.

I am still really enjoying this bike and while almost sold at one point I am glad I kept and am looking to turn it into more a bikepacking rig. iahve had it setup SS, 1x9, 3x9, and should have some leftover 1x10 parts to throw on soon.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    No, with the gap its got zero play. Which is why I took it apart to remove play. The pic would be helpful. Thanks!

mtbr member
    If anyone still has the original truvativ GXP crank and bottom bracket, can you take a pic and post it of the drive side space between the chainring and the bottom bracket? I had mine apart and need to see what it should look like. For some reason I have about a 1/4" gap between the chainring and the BB now when I put it back together. Just want to make sure something is not messed up.
    Here are some pics:

Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-image.jpgAnyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-image.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    thanks that helps!

mtbr member
    thanks that helps!
    Glad to help....Crappy I pad pics best I can do right now, tight schedule today.

Anyone out there waiting for the new updated bike to ship??

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26