Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_B View Post
    Just put my Luddite up for sale on Ebay if anyone is interested.

Item number- 281022758726
    Are you going to drop the price again? Or just keep it? I figured it would have gone for $520.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

I did it all for the kudo
    Just ordered one of these, looks like a very nice bike for the money.

I was just curious about the wheelset. I read in the thread that they weigh approx 2400 grams ... Can anyone else confirm this? This seems extremely heavy...

Anyways, thx for sharing your insight. I'm super excited to get my new ride.

mtbr member
    The wheels and tires that come stock are extremely heavy. An upgrade here is money well spent IMO.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    Just ordered one of these, looks like a very nice bike for the money.

I was just curious about the wheelset. I read in the thread that they weigh approx 2400 grams ... Can anyone else confirm this? This seems extremely heavy...

Anyways, thx for sharing your insight. I'm super excited to get my new ride.
    I think mine were around 2300. The tires are boat anchors at 980 each.

I did it all for the kudo
    Thanks for the info guys. Fortunately I have a spare set of wheels waiting to go on. The hard part now is just waiting patiently for them to ship it... I'll weigh the wheels when I get them in and will post up some pics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Mine just arrived. I also grabbed the WTB Trail TCS 29r wheelset they also had on backcountry. Reasonably weight 1950g (comparable to an EA70 or other mid-line wheelset) but not light compared to Stans.

Will build up tonight.

May stick with the mech discs, only used hydro in the past and interested to see what the current mech's feel like. I figure I can hawk them for $70 on craigs for the F&R set to offset the hydro costs if I decide to go that way.

Planning on a Thomson post, WCS Stem, maybe EA70 bars, Fizik saddle and a CK cog for now. Crankset and tires will have to wait a bit...

Had a 05 Specialized Epic with all XT that I just sold for this bike. It will be quite a transition from FS to full-rigid. But the 1 ride I seem to have time for per year for the last 6 years did not seem to justify servicing the F&R shocks at $250 each rotation. Now my MTB became just as easy to maintain as my road bikes and longtail

mtbr member
    The stock seat post is actually pretty good. Thomson style clamp and not outrageously heavy. I would replace the tires before the seat post. You can save almost a pound of rotational weight for the cost of the post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    The stock seat post is actually pretty good. Thomson style clamp and not outrageously heavy. I would replace the tires before the seat post. You can save almost a pound of rotational weight for the cost of the post.
    Most of the parts aren't bad at all. The wheels and tires are the extreme offenders.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So those of you with upgrades done to the bike, especially wheels & tires, what does your bike weigh after upgrades? Ordered a Hope/Flow combo tonight and have Geax Saguaro 2.2 TNT's on the way. Hoping to shave 2 lbs off the bike with the new setup running tubeless. I can't wait. Loving the bike btw.
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DBackRider08 View Post
    So those of you with upgrades done to the bike, especially wheels & tires, what does your bike weigh after upgrades? Ordered a Hope/Flow combo tonight and have Geax Saguaro 2.2 TNT's on the way. Hoping to shave 2 lbs off the bike with the new setup running tubeless. I can't wait. Loving the bike btw.
    I haven't weighed mine yet, but two pounds is easy - the tires are so heavy you can lose more than a pound there. I gained 3 pounds by adding a fork, but I'm icing to take it back off because of the weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Oops I meant to post in the Young Turk thread.
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Oops I meant to post in the Young Turk thread.
    Almost the same bike ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    True. :P
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You will come close to that at least (maybe exceed) I have Hopes Flows on another bike and rode them with Regular Saguagros for a long time night and day difference between that and Nevegals. I had switched from TN719s Mavics at the time and mine have been great. In fact as old as those wheels are plan is to hopefully keep the stock anchors on the Civilian for now and get some I9s / ArchExs for my FS in the spring and move Hope Flows over to the SS Luddite.

Any reason you went TNTs? I have heard the bead is tough to get on stans rims and the regualr folding bead works great.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Cool, nice. No particular reason I went with the TNTs. I got a deal on the them and bought them prior to finding a deal on the Hope/Flows. LoL. I have heard about the TNTs being somewhat of a pain to install. However, a buddy of mine is running AKA TNT's on a set of Sun Ringle Charger Pros so I'm not too worried. Great to hear that my future setup will certainly lighten things up to my expectation or exceed it. How did you like the Saguaro tires? I'm hoping they are fairly fast rolling with good traction. Had some good reviews on 'em online. Just a waiting game for my parts to arrive now which is the part I hate... lol.
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I like the Saguaros the Luddite has one on rear right now. Best comparioson tire I have to them is probably an ikon, other than weight i like the Saguaro. A lot of info on this board told me Ikon Ex would be better for wet roots, I think Saguaro was better. Side traction about equal, sidewall strength never had a issue and have used them from some AM type riding, have cut some older Maxxis tires (cross marks). Also had issues with an ikon and stans causing bubbles. Price Saguaro wins hand down and is more durable. All my 2 cents, I will still use Maxxis Ikons for the weight but for all round bike not for racing I prefer the Saguaro.

One caveat this is all setup tubeless, I did notice Saguaros were prone to thorn punctures minimal times I ran them with tubes.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Not to turn this into a tire discussion but I second you on the Saguaros. In 10+ years of 29'ers I've ridden a lot of tires and my favorites, without question are the Saguaros. I go non-TNT because they're a lot lighter and once you get them set up, they work really well tubeless too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    Yep. Would normally agree but I'm cheating by upgrading two bikes at once.

Moving a Thomson setback from my SS road bike and replacing with a 0-setback EC90
    I want a deeper drop on the same road bike so getting a EA90 stem and moving the WCS 4-axis to the Luddite.

Tires are definitely next. Ideally I could gawk the current ones with the stock wheels on CL to create some cash flow for new rubber.

The bike will never be a weight weenie bike. But I like good stuff and only want to buy it once so while not Moots, these prices are good enough for a pouser like me. Cheers

mtbr member
    i'm 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam... i'm thinking medium frame? i know the medium has a 30" stand over height, just wondering if i'm leaving myself enough room. can anyone with a similar build help me out... tia.
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

size

Quote Originally Posted by carlos9 View Post
    i'm 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam... i'm thinking medium frame? i know the medium has a 30" stand over height, just wondering if i'm leaving myself enough room. can anyone with a similar build help me out... tia.
    ETT is probably a better measurement. I am 5'7 or 8" depending on day it seems with 29" inseam I ride a medium but I already knew I was comfortable on a bike with 23.5 ETT. If you are really worried about standover and think the Top Tube will be fine than I think you will be ok, got to rember that doesnt include shoes and bike is leaned when hoping on. I would go with it, if you like to sit more upright and be able to toss bike around small may be better. I personally like to be stretched out and leaned over slightly. Also keep in mind bike comes with straight post, you can always go setback or change stem lengths to play with position a little (dont go over board and totally ruin geo).

I like to give folks this link

Bike Stem Calculator - Brightspoke
    Last edited by HEMIjer; 11-26-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: typos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    ETT is probably a better measurement. I am 5'7 or 8" depending on day it seems with 29" inseam I ride a medium but I already knew I was comfortable on a bike with 23.5 ETT. If you are really worried about standover and think the Top Tube will be fine than I think you will be ok, got to rember that doesnt include shoes and bike is leaned when hoping on. I would go with it, if you like to sit more upright and be able to toss bike around small may be better. I personally like to be stretched out and leaned over slightly. Also keep in mind bike comes with straight post, you can always go setback or change stem lengths to play with position a little (dont go over board and totally ruin geo).

I like to give folks this link

Bike Stem Calculator - Brightspoke
    thanks, thats great info
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos9 View Post
    I'd say medium with a shorter stem. The stand over is really close on both sizes because of the slopping top tube (I have the medium and my wife has a small Young Turk). That said, I'm 5'10" and a 31" inseam and I could ride either. The small feels fun and easy to throw around, like you want to want look around for some modest jumps. I'm going to a shorter stem on the medium; I think this bike lends itself to a less stretched out position.

Big Boy
    So, to those that own this bike, I'm looking for more info on this fork.

Is it carbon steerer?

Weight?

Ride report/compliance?

comparison to niner carbon fork?

TIA
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Please forgive my ignorance, but I am only just coming to the time when I have to man up and work on my own bike. I am preparing to change my rear cog, and my question is this-
    does the quando hub use a normal shimano-type freewheel tool, or is it something wierd? any other pitfalls I need to watch out for?

mtbr member
    Just need a chain whip and a lock ring removal tool. You may need different spacers depending on the width of your new cog.

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast