Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 603
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1
    Let's just say for instance not all of us here care to bolt a digital scale to our garage rafters. Has anyone taken delivery on a Luddite or a Young Turk? I am interested in how well it handles / rides / sprints / climbs / takes downhill, etc, with as-spec'ed components (of which we can all find separate reviews for here on MTBR). More specifically the Young Turk, but I'll gladly take feedback on the Luddite.

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    102
    there have been a few other posts about this (one started by me) if you do a little digging u might find some needed info hope i could help

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    468
    Hey folks! I've been riding the Luddite for a few weeks now, I'm reviewing it for Singletracks. There will be an On-Test article go up on the site soon, then the final review a few weeks later. The On-Test article has been written and sitting waiting it's turn to get posted for a few weeks, but a bunch of other articles were in line in front of it. It's coming soon though.

    I'll give you a few teasers. It is NOT a 20lbs bike. Mine, size large, weighed 26.6lbs pimp stock out of the box, without pedals. That's using a Feedback Sports digital hanging scale - it is accurate. The carbon fork is pretty sweet. It's a fun bike. You'll have to wait for the rest, sorry. I'll post the links whenever the articles go up.




  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Possum Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    437
    Waiting on that final review....
    HucknRoll has these on sale for $785 shipped. I might just bite the bullet and pick one up.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum Jones View Post
    Waiting on that final review....
    HucknRoll has these on sale for $785 shipped. I might just bite the bullet and pick one up.
    Anybody else try one out? I also saw this and it seems like a good deal. Thoughts?

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coot271's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    123
    Can I assume that the Luddite is suspension corrected for a 100mm fork?? I like this bike!
    Confucius say, "Man with itchy butt wake up with stinky finger."

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,820
    Quote Originally Posted by djm271@bellsouth.net View Post
    Can I assume that the Luddite is suspension corrected for a 100mm fork?? I like this bike!
    Yep it is. Now, where's that review while there on sale?

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Possum Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    437
    I did it. I bought it today. I was planning on building up a sir 9, but this is a cheap way to get into SS for now. First order of business is a stock set of ztr arches, a light(er) set of tires, and tubless. That should drop a pound or two easy. I'll post up when I get it put together.
    Last edited by Possum Jones; 06-16-2012 at 06:20 PM.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    180
    Does the Huck & Roll sale price include shipping? I was/am planning on building an El Mar or a Selma, but at this price (plus the cost of a cheap rockshox fork), the Luddite may be worth the gamble.

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Possum Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    437
    Free shipping and no tax unless you live in Utah or Arkansas.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zakman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    147
    On sale and comes with a free jersey too.

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zakman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    147
    I think I might get one. The wife gave me permission to get a bike off of Craigslist/eBay for neighborhood use. I would have to use the secret credit card and get it dirty quick to convince her it is used.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    I think I might get one. The wife gave me permission to get a bike off of Craigslist/eBay for neighborhood use. I would have to use the secret credit card and get it dirty quick to convince her it is used.
    I like your style. Report back.

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    24
    I got the geared version - Young Turk a couple weeks ago and am still adjusting to the big wheels. I think it's a lot of bike for the money, other thoughts:

    * Heavy, no exact # yet, doesn't really affect my riding
    * nicely spec'd parts & it fits me well
    * Biggest disappointment is the fork, advertised as 15mm maxle but really a QR - called and *****ed a bit & was credited $100
    * Coming off an older FSR, thrilled to be on a new ride but I can't shake the absent thru axle. Reba is great, do not notice flex on the trail but laterally flexes by hand a bit.
    *I have 5 more weeks to send back if I choose, but most likely will keep it. I do see they have El Mar.s 3's in stock and the future availability of replacement dropouts makes me wonder about Civilian brand

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,820
    For the guys with one of these or the Young Turk, does the rear brake caliper slide with the rear wheel? It looks that way. I have track ends on a bike now and this looks better.

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    24
    Yes, the caliper mounts to the sliding dropout. I need to find out the availability of dropouts in case I tweak a derailleur hanger.

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,820
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaugbrad View Post
    Yes, the caliper mounts to the sliding dropout. I need to find out the availability of dropouts in case I tweak a derailleur hanger.
    Thanks. Are these sliders specific to each builder? If the company is owned by Backcountry, than they'd be good on warrantees, no?

    Also, has a anybody seen the range of chainstay lengths? They list 17.5, but with sliders it will change. The Salsa El Mar gets a little on the long side when sliding out (18+).
    Last edited by SS Hack; 06-17-2012 at 03:00 PM.

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zakman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Thanks. Are these sliders specific to each builder? If the company is owned by Backcountry, than they'd be good on warrantees, no?

    Also, has a anybody seen the range of chainstay lengths? They list 17.5, but with sliders it will change. The Salsa El Mar gets a little on the long side when sliding out (18+).
    On competitive cyclist they list the chain stay length as 17.3-18.1 inches. So I would venture to say the chain stays are 18.1 inches when the sliding dropouts are fully slid out.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    On competitive cyclist they list the chain stay length as 17.3-18.1 inches. So I would venture to say the chain stays are 18.1 inches when the sliding dropouts are fully slid out.
    I like the sound of the short end. Not short, not super long. Hopefully we get more intel soon.

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    476
    So want to pull the string and possibly set up as 1x9 with the old 26er sitting in the garage.

    Like the geo short head tube sloping top tube short seat post and long ETT. Now need to decide between sizes I normally like right around a 23" ETT.

    Do you single speeder find that ETT should be equal to what you have on your Full suspension bikes?
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zakman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    So want to pull the string and possibly set up as 1x9 with the old 26er sitting in the garage.

    Like the geo short head tube sloping top tube short seat post and long ETT. Now need to decide between sizes I normally like right around a 23" ETT.

    Do you single speeder find that ETT should be equal to what you have on your Full suspension bikes?
    I just ordered a large last night. If you are anywhere near northern va you are welcome to check it out when I get it set up.

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,820
    Must resist urge ...

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Must resist urge ...
    My final review will go live tomorrow, if anyone is interested. Here's the On-Test post:

    On Test: Civilian Luddite Singlespeed 29er Mountain Bike | Mountain Bike Blog || SINGLETRACKS.COM

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    I just ordered a large last night. If you are anywhere near northern va you are welcome to check it out when I get it set up.
    Actually close to NOVA fredericksburg area, i think I will jsut go medium, tired of beating my Anthem to death this will keep down on maintainence.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

  25. #50
    meh
    Reputation: clewttu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,052
    will you comment on your fit dgaddis? i see you got a large, how tall are you and howd the geo work out?
    top tube looks longer than im used to

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •