Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Results 651 to 669 of 669
  1. #651
    mtbr member
    Reputation: borbntm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    586
    SS Hack - Running a short cage X9 / Race Face 32 tooth narrow/wide without a guide. No chain drops in 1,000 plus miles. I would go with a medium cage if I did it over again. No chance of converting the XT cassette to a 40 or 42 tooth big ring with a short cage.

    Currently rolling on Easton Haven carbon Wheel set, Niner carbon bar and Easton Haven carbon seat post Avid Elixer CR brakes also, sitting right at 23.7 lbs. Only original/stock items left are crankset, fork, headset.

  2. #652
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by borbntm View Post
    SS Hack - Running a short cage X9 / Race Face 32 tooth narrow/wide without a guide. No chain drops in 1,000 plus miles. I would go with a medium cage if I did it over again. No chance of converting the XT cassette to a 40 or 42 tooth big ring with a short cage.

    Currently rolling on Easton Haven carbon Wheel set, Niner carbon bar and Easton Haven carbon seat post Avid Elixer CR brakes also, sitting right at 23.7 lbs. Only original/stock items left are crankset, fork, headset.

    Such a beautiful bike. Thanks for your thoughts. So, what I'm hearing is, there are slippage issues, but if you scrape the paint off and torque everything down super tight, i should be okay.
    I really think the bike is rad, so i want it, i just dont want to hassle with it all the time or get a surprise halfway through my ride.. maybe I should also mention i weight 195 lbs without gear and i tend to plow stuff instead of being light on the bike and plan on keeping it for a long time..
    Check out my riding blog:

    http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

  3. #653
    mtbr member
    Reputation: borbntm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    586
    Thanks!.....The Luditte is a tank! Not a fragile bike in any way.....(except for maybe the paint) There is a slight learning curve adjusting the chain length if you are running it as a single speed but the key is to center the wheel and dial in the correct chain tension with the adjuster bolts. Lock the adjustor bolts into place with the lock nut and then (last) tighten the dropout/hanger bolts as tight as possible. My riding weight is 215/220 and I haven't had a problem with slippage since the first week that I started riding the bike.

    Hang out in the single speed threads, you will learn that there are a lot of manufacturers that use Sliders.......IMO Sliders seem to be preferred over an excentric bottom bracket.

  4. #654
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by borbntm View Post
    Thanks!.....The Luditte is a tank! Not a fragile bike in any way.....(except for maybe the paint) There is a slight learning curve adjusting the chain length if you are running it as a single speed but the key is to center the wheel and dial in the correct chain tension with the adjuster bolts. Lock the adjustor bolts into place with the lock nut and then (last) tighten the dropout/hanger bolts as tight as possible. My riding weight is 215/220 and I haven't had a problem with slippage since the first week that I started riding the bike.

    Hang out in the single speed threads, you will learn that there are a lot of manufacturers that use Sliders.......IMO Sliders seem to be preferred over an excentric bottom bracket.
    Awesome. I will be running the 1x10. I'm too wussy to run ss..

    Could you hook a bike trailer to it as well? I've got a couple kids..
    Check out my riding blog:

    http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

  5. #655
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,148

    Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?

    Quote Originally Posted by ggilings View Post
    Awesome. I will be running the 1x10. I'm too wussy to run ss..

    Could you hook a bike trailer to it as well? I've got a couple kids..
    No worry about the sliders as they just be slammed forward. I pulled a trailer no problem.

  6. #656
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    No worry about the sliders as they just be slammed forward. I pulled a trailer no problem.
    Thanks for all the help everyone! If im running it geared, is there any reason i cant just removed the tensioner bolt and slam the dropouts all the forward, shortening the stays and be done with it?
    Check out my riding blog:

    http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

  7. #657
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilings View Post
    Thanks for all the help everyone! If im running it geared, is there any reason i cant just removed the tensioner bolt and slam the dropouts all the forward, shortening the stays and be done with it?
    You could but will not have a lot of tire clearance, I run a 2.2 with them about an inch back seems good happy medium all around for quick handling and stability and mud clearance.

    You won't be disappointed with the bike really is great feeling frame. Oh as far as slipping blue Loctite you wont have issues.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

  8. #658
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    You could but will not have a lot of tire clearance, I run a 2.2 with them about an inch back seems good happy medium all around for quick handling and stability and mud clearance.

    You won't be disappointed with the bike really is great feeling frame. Oh as far as slipping blue Loctite you wont have issues.
    I run mine with the sliders nearly all the way forward, and there's lots of room for mud, with a race king 2.2 on a blunt 35 rim, which is already huge(only a couple mm smaller than an x-king 2.4 on the front). The main issue is the height of tire maybe coming into contact with the seat stay bridge. As soon as it warms up i'm going to put an x-king 2.4 out back. i might have to slide it back slightly but it will definitely fit width wise.

    Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-img_20140913_163653.jpgAnyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-img_20140913_164357.jpg

  9. #659
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    228
    ^ That is what I was looking for. I'm going to look at one in a few minutes and buy it if it fits. Thanks again!
    Check out my riding blog:

    http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

  10. #660
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilings View Post
    ^ That is what I was looking for. I'm going to look at one in a few minutes and buy it if it fits. Thanks again!
    How did you make out? I actually upp'd the rear tire to a 2.4 x-king. i cant believe it still fits with the sliders all the way forward on a blunt 35. I think this bike is a good candidate for 650b+.
    Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-img_20150306_185703.jpgAnyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-img_20150306_185532.jpgAnyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-img_20150306_185525.jpg

  11. #661
    mtbr member
    Reputation: borbntm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    586
    Wow....That's a tight fit! .....Anyone try a 120 mm suspension fork out there yet?? I'm considering it.

  12. #662
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,148

    Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?

    Quote Originally Posted by borbntm View Post
    Wow....That's a tight fit! .....Anyone try a 120 mm suspension fork out there yet?? I'm considering it.
    I've tried one and its perfect with a bit of sag. Doesn't change the geo at all.

  13. #663
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by newdee View Post
    How did you make out? I actually upp'd the rear tire to a 2.4 x-king. i cant believe it still fits with the sliders all the way forward on a blunt 35. I think this bike is a good candidate for 650b+.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150306_185703.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	970700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150306_185532.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	970701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150306_185525.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	970702
    Well, I bought it and have put about 60 miles on it. Some on pavement pulling the kids and a some riding in the mountains and I seriously love this bike! I came from a 150mm 26" so I was a little nervous, but it is so much fun! I forgot how fun a hard tail can be. I'm super happy with it!
    Check out my riding blog:

    http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

  14. #664
    mtbr member
    Reputation: borbntm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    586
    Rolling on some new Maxxis Ardent 2.4 skinwalls.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-image.jpg  


  15. #665
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    125
    Anyone running a steel fork? I swapped a Kona P2 fork over to the Luddite. Me Likey. I think it might have to go back to ss mode. Aka, giant BMX mode.

    Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-img_20150421_180419.jpg

    Regarding the excessive use of headset spacers, i ordered the shorted top cap available for this headset in an effort to bring the front end down. If anyone cares, its part number H2051A.

  16. #666
    mtbr member
    Reputation: borbntm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    586

    Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?

    Anyone out there still own and ride their Luddite? I am still beating the tar out of mine, recently swapped the rigid fork for a Fox Float 100mm. Only original parts remaining are the crankset, head set and seat post collar!

    Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-image.jpgAnyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-image.jpg
    MTB Rob was taken!

  17. #667
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    131
    Rode mine last week. Still in single speed setup. Still fun. Just wish the frame wasn't 6lbs

  18. #668
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    62
    Yup! Mine just finished the 40 mile Black Bear Rampage last week. Last place, SS class - The bike was fine, but I'm not what you would classify as an Elite rider. I've got a little over 2,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. Had a crack in the seat tube that had to be welded, but other than that, the bike is bullet proof and still tons of fun.

    Here's my favorite recent picture.

    Anyone seen a Civilian Luddite 29er?-civilian.jpg

  19. #669
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    847
    I still have mine none of my bikes are getting a lot of use due to injury right now but the luddite is still strong.

    It takes many forms. from SS, 1x10 geared rigid, to hardtail. Mainly gets used a winter training bike and for intervals on gravel. I am not sure of mileage on it but no doubt in the thousands. Most of the time it is geared rigid with original frame, fork, crankset, brake calipers, seatpost, collar, and stem.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •