mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Anyone run the Schwalbe Ice Spiker pro stud tires???

I fell back in love with riding bikes this year when I built up my very first 29er.( I sold my entire Ibis Ti 26er collection shortly there after). I've ebjoyed riding so much.... I've bought several light systems and even started night riding for the first time in my life when the days started to get shorter. I took a nice 2hr ride before our first "good" snow on the front range a couple of weeks back. We've had snow pack ever since an I want to ride!!!!

Anyone run the Ice Spiker Pro ( or similiar tire) on their 29er? I'm thinking about this tire for early AM weekend rides that will have everything on the trail still frozen.

I HATE the idea of spinning at the gym..but its looking like I'm heading that way unless I have Moots build me a snow bike to match my MXZ. and that won't happen as I'm putting the finishing details on my used Psychlo-X that I may just have to road ride....blaugh!

any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have thought about buying them, I have run both rocket rons and nobby nics on the ice and both held pretty well as long as I was not pushing really hard.

mtbr member
    I've run the Nokian studded tires on a 26er with a lot of success. Frozen snowmobile trails are a blast, and I've descended down little ice falls with surprising confidence. Fresh powder is not great, but a few inches on top of ice is fine. The tires didn't wear at all over a few seasons, and the carbide studs were intact. I just tried to avoid rocks. This winter has been incredibly mild so far, so no need to mount studs. It seems like the Nokian's offer better value, I think Bikeman is offering a set for around $155. I hope that's useful. I am looking to pick a set up for my 29er, although a fat bike would be nice, maybe next year.

Regards,
    Wardo

mtbr member
    Same here, have had the Nokian studded tires for a few year, amazing grip on the ice. Now I have the Schwalbes waiting for winter to kick in, but it seems global warming has come to Finland so I can still get around on mud tires :-D

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for all the insight guys. I did some digging around and found this usefull page..

Studded Bicycle Tires

I think I'm all in on the schwalbes..now to find a reasonable price. I used to pay $75/tire for my first car ( early 90's). My 2 bikes will have over $500 in tires by the time I'm done with these...but its worth it as the tire sthat fit my current car run $2k

See you on the trail and not the trainer...

mtbr member
    I wouldn't worry too much about the price, in contrary to normal MTB tires I've been running the Nokians for 9 years and replaced them when the sidewalls were done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by figo View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about the price, in contrary to normal MTB tires I've been running the Nokians for 9 years and replaced them when the sidewalls were done.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I went high end with my racing ralph 29 SS's earlier this year and I LOVE them.

I just found the 29er Ice Spiker Pros for $99/ea at a local shop Excel sports...they will be here on friday. I'll be riding saturday...whew hew!!!

Schwalbe Winter Ice Spiker Pro TL Ready 29 - Excel Sports

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    I made my own a couple seasons ago. I drilled 1/8" pilot holes and used small sheet metal screws and smeared silicon on them, and ran a liner. I alternated from side to side every 1 1/2". Worked great, cost under $10 for parts and I used tires I had laying around.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yeah I did that too....one. back when I was in undergrad at UW-Madison. had no money plenty of time. They worked great. I remember spinning to my wednesday night physics lab in 8" in fresh stuff. no problem. pasing cars there and back ( with my ski goggles on)

Now the opposite is true. so I popped for the schwalbes. First ride on them....48hrs and counting.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Just a few thoughts here. The Spikers are the new kid on the block. Before them , it was the Nokian, or nothing.

I've run the Nokians for 3(?) years. They work well enough on the ice, but, seemingly unlike the 26" version ( if you listen to those saying so), they will lose traction once the ice gets dense, compacted, and really cold. Like, you have no studs at all, lose traction.

Much has been tossed about as to why, and the only thing that could be settled on on was the same number of studs, spread over a larger area 29" vs 26" created a less dense stud pattern.

The Spikers hopefully solve that by adding even more studs (one per lug, dense lug pattern too), can't wait to try mine. Ice is a funny thing, soft ice, awesome grip, glacially hard ice? Scary. Fingers crossed on these, too many riding pals went down last year even studded, (one broke his femur's hip ball off, no studs for him at the time though!) with the conditions as they were.

No snow yet this year though, so it may be a moot point.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Dunno how they go, but man....

they are pretty

[IMG] 12-17-11_5764 by chrisroundy, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] 12-17-11_5765 by chrisroundy, on Flickr[/IMG]

mtbr member
    Just got mine mounted up and started running them, we don't have any real ice at the moment but the little I did hit today they worked great, didn't slip, but I watched a few fat tire bikes slide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The Ice Spikers are really good, and worth the $.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

first ride impressions

Wow. these are nice. I mounted them up to my I9 enduro wheels and bolted them onto my MXZ yesterday AM. I started my ride on the flats at Marshall Mesa trail system south of boulder yesterday AM. Too much snow pack on the flats to keep the bike upright, but I pushed through the crust.

At some points I went straight through the open field and traction was great. middle chain ring crankin' away.

Things get rocky just before and after HWY 93 ( and muddy at 10:30am, I should have started earlier) but the tires grabbed well. Somewhat awkward noises as the side studs hit rocks ..more on that later.

I continued my climb all the way to the top ( I know where I'm going but never remeber trail names) for a full loop then back to HWY 93 where my legs were shot so I took HWY 128 back 2 miles of so to the truck.. Here is what I noticed.

1) Ice..no problem. If I could have ridden on packed/melted/refrozen single the entire time i would have done it. Bike never slipped not once including a relatively medium/small chainring climb.

2) Mud, I hate it. wed don't get much rain here and I rarely ride in wet conditions. The tires plowed right through it. Conditions went form 2" of melt off mud to 6" of snow pack just by turning the corner ( north facing vs. south facing). The entire ride was like that.

3) Road..did not seem to be effected at all. the noise was different but handleing not effected.

Advantages... I can't wait to ride some well packed single track snow/ice on colder temps but will most likely avoid the rock exposed trail with these tires ( may just swap my racing ralphs on for early AM pre-melt-off rides until we get more snow pack.)

Disadvantages.. I lost 13 studson the rear and 10 studs on the front in a 3 hour ride. I think the rocks play a significant role in that. But with 420/tire who cares.

They are not cheap, but stick like glue. Now I'm thinking Moots now bike with floatie studded tires would rock!

oh crap...
    bowtiguy - Not sure if Schwalbe recommends the same as Nokian. When I got my Nokian Extreme 294's about 3 years back, they recommended riding them on dry pavement cautiously for about 20 miles before getting into rocks, snow, and ice on single track so that you "bed" the studs into the tire - otherwise I would have risked losing many of them on the first ride like you did.
    Grow some food for yourself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I rode the Ice Spikers 50 kms on asphalt before I took them to the trails. Then they'll stick better with the rubber.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've had plenty of experience with the Nokian Extremes, both 26 and 29. They will lose studs if you ride them on bare ground and rock, whether you bed them in on the road or not. Sounds like the Schwalbes are the same deal in that regard.

The obvious solution is to use them as intended, on packed snow and ice. They're too expensive to waste on frozen ground with occasional ice patches, and they suck as general purpose mountain bike tires anyway. I've never run into any ice condition here in New England that they don't work well on. If you can afford a spare set of wheels, mount up the studded tires on them and save them for the days when they're really needed. By the way, Bikeman carries replacement Nokian studs and the installation tool.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have a new set of Ice Spiker Pro 29er tires that I have been running on mountain bike trails under winter conditions for the past two weeks. My conclusion: spike loss occurs at an unbelievably and unacceptably high rate. I have already lost 180 spikes in 7 rides -- that's almost 30% of the total number of spikes. I called Schwalbe and they told me that I failed to follow the proper run-in procedure for these tires, namely, running the tires for 25 km on an asphalt road at 20 psi so all the spikes engage the roadway. These procedures were not included with the tires when I bought them by way of a brochure, sticker or label, and were not explained to me by the dealership from whom I purchased the tires. If you have these tires and have not yet used them, it would seem like a good idea to follow their prescribed run-in procedures. I doubt, however, that the run-in procedure makes much difference in regards to spike loss. Nokian says to do the same thing and I never noticed a difference in spike loss with their tires, whether or not I followed their prescribed run-in procedures. Over the past years I have lost FAR fewer spikes with Nokian studded tires -- probably 20 times less than with these expensive Schwalbe tires. Don't expect much help from Schwalbe with this problem; everyone who owns them is probably calling them up for new tires or studs now that the snow is flying. This is too bad, because the tires themselves perform very well indeed.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tundraline View Post
    I have a new set of Ice Spiker Pro 29er tires. My conclusion: spike loss occurs at an unbelievably and unacceptably high rate. I have already lost 180 spikes in 7 rides -- that's almost 30% of the total number of spikes.
    Color me intrigued. Anyone else with this issue yet?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Lost about a dozen studs from the side knobs on the rear tire (about 5 on the front) recently while torquing over rocks protruding on 2 rides. Before then, only rode snow covered trails and only had a couple come off and I did not even go for the pavement riding recommendation (because it was mentioned nowhere). I am planning on replacing some of the missing ones and going for some miles on roads before hitting the trails again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I bought a set of Ice Spikers last fall. Been riding them for about 3 months. I ride on paved trails / roads, commute to work. 150kms/week. After about 2 months (so mid-December or so), I noticed less traction from when they were new. I inspected the studs closely, and noticed that the studs in the two center rows are now deeply seated in their holes and barely protrude at all, resulting in very little traction on ice. They are not worn out, just "pushed in" deeper then when they were new.

I wiped out yesterday morning on a straight part of the path, on a patch of snow covered ice (about 2cms/1 inch of snow). Not riding aggressively, just commuting to work and minding my business.

Every single review I've read is about riding the tires when they're "new", and I agree, they grip like they're on rails. But after only 3 months, they are pretty useless now. I'm going to look for my receipt and ask the retailer (MEC in Canada) to take them back and return my money, and try the Nokians instead.

I could also try and re-studding them, but that's an expensive proposition, and considering how much I paid for the set ($200), I think getting my money back and switching to Nokians makes the most sense.