mtbr member

Is Anyone Riding an Ionic Steelhead 29r??

On a whim I sent them an email and I was quite surprised at the price of the frame.

Is anyone riding one? If so, can you provide a review? Photos?

Thanks.

Mark

No Justice = No Peace

Ionic is DEAN

On a whim, they might make you a bike, if you send money and act right until they decide if they like you...
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    On a whim I sent them an email and I was quite surprised at the price of the frame.

Is anyone riding one? If so, can you provide a review? Photos?

Thanks.

Mark

Yep, Ionic = Dean

yep they are slow, but friendly at least to me. Expect about a 3 month wait regardless of what they tell you. Never been on an Ionic, but I have been aboard a steel Dean like 8 years ago. it was a "Jester" maybe? or something like that, it was a buddy's and it felt pretty darn good. ANyway, Dean does the Ti and Ionic does the Steel. Frankly I don't know why they separate the brands. Dean is much more well known than Ionic ever was.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm pretty sure they'll stick whatever downtube sticker on there you want. You want a steel Dean, you can get it. It's all in the same building. I think there was a lady on these boards last year that got a tiny steelhead built with Dean livery. I've been through the Dean order and wait process, (albeit for a roadie), and I wasn't disapointed. 3 days early from when I was quoted. Attaining a Dean is a bit of a journey though, sometimes you can't get in touch with anyone there for a week to check up on what's going on with your bike. If you're inpatient or prone to paranoia they might not be your builder of choice. But if you can stick it out you get a really great quality product for a very reasonable price.

mtbr member
    I was quoted $550 for a Steelhead 29er via an email. This is for a frame with vertical dropouts. $150 more for the modular dropouts I think it was.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Id be cautious they have made some serious errors in 29" design, forks hitting down tubes, disc calipers that are useless, general poor 29" geometry. I looked into one last year and decided they where just sticking big wheels on 26" design ideas so I skipped them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    *they have made some serious errors in 29" design
    *forks hitting down tubes
    *disc calipers that are useless
    *general poor 29" geometry
    *they where just sticking big wheels on 26" design
    Those are pretty strong words. I thought Dean had a better reputation than that. If I were Dean, I would take serous issue with that.

The only thing I've heard is that they do have long wait times, sometimes longer than quoted, but that the quality and customer service is fantastic.

Certainly an interesting perspective though.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I’m just offering a word of caution.

A former participant of this board had to send his modular dropout frame back because the disc caliper wouldn’t clear the seat stay. Pictures can be easily found on another 29 board.
    A Reba won’t clear an Ionic Down tube on a 19” or smaller frame. Reba’s don’t clear the ti bikes either.
    If you really want I can scan and post the drawing of the bike they sent me regarding poor 29” geometry.
    I have owned 2 Deans and have been very happy with the bikes once I got them.
    I ride regularly with a guy that rides a 26” Ionic and I have to say it’s a beautiful bike.
    I have nothing against them at all I just think they are jumping on the 29” bandwagon for the sales without putting allot of thought and development into the 29” thing.
    That’s not to say their aren’t plenty of people out their riding the bikes and loving them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    I’m just offering a word of caution.

A former participant of this board had to send his modular dropout frame back because the disc caliper wouldn’t clear the seat stay. Pictures can be easily found on another 29 board.
    A Reba won’t clear an Ionic Down tube on a 19” or smaller frame. Reba’s don’t clear the ti bikes either.
    If you really want I can scan and post the drawing of the bike they sent me regarding poor 29” geometry.
    I have owned 2 Deans and have been very happy with the bikes once I got them.
    I ride regularly with a guy that rides a 26” Ionic and I have to say it’s a beautiful bike.
    I have nothing against them at all I just think they are jumping on the 29” bandwagon for the sales without putting allot of thought and development into the 29” thing.
    That’s not to say their aren’t plenty of people out their riding the bikes and loving them.
    I have a Dean on order and specifically addressed the fork issue. According to them, on 29ers they now leave more tubing on the headtube underneath where the downtube meets the headtube. Mine has custom geometry only because I like a longer headtube and more standover height than the stock geometry comes with. I have an ape-like torso to inseam type measurements. I wear pants with a 30-31 inch inseam but I am about 6'1" tall.

It think that their geometry is pretty decent on the stock ones now, maybe some would complain about the bb height.