Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Arrrghhh!!!

Anyone riding a Funk La Ruta?

I've been spending too much time on the internet looking for a 29er and saw an interview with Daryl from NAHBS, and am really intrigued. There are a couple reviews out there but I'm looking for more. I wanted to hear how the bike handles technical terrain and fast descents. Anyone out there willing to comment?

Thanks,
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've been rocking one for a couple years. Awesome! I havent lusted after a new race rig since!
    Perfect number of bikes (n) + 1

Arrrghhh!!!

Ride report

Quote Originally Posted by Truth! View Post
    I've been rocking one for a couple years. Awesome! I havent lusted after a new race rig since!
    Sweet-- looks like a real beauty. Do you have an extended ride report that you might share? I'm interested in hearing how the bike handles fast downhills and more techy lines at speed.
    And of course, pics are always nice.
    William James

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    you need to ride one to understand what i will say, but the long and short is, frame matched with high volume Fox shock can makes bike feel quite plush for an 80mm travel rear. works flawless in big or small bumps. super light and the geometry is dialed in with a 100mm fork. very light and flickable in the turns. what is most amazing is that unlike other full suspension frames with bearings and pivots, you can get the dragging anchor feeling sometimes in those style suspensions. with this design the rear is always active and what is most amazing is the way it climbs, i would venture to say best i have ever ridden. the rear design basically works like a leaf spring and as you climb typical pedal bob is basically reversed and literraly the bike pushes you along. the rear design always wants to return to neutral so if you do compress the suspension it immediately comes back and really feels like you are climbing on a hardtail, and the titanium absorbs vibration like no other....and did i mention its lightest frame around, and you never have to replace a bearing or worry about riding in extreme conditions due to nothing to seize up or rust!!! Get one!
    as a side note this bike weighs under 20lbs. it has since been converted to a lefty and is even more amazing...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone riding a Funk La Ruta?-chippy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    2011 Funk La Ruta 29er Full Suspension Titanium Frame 24.5" | eBay
    Here is one on ebay. White powdercoat? That's a shame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

funk

here is another one, the frame has been powdercoated black just like the white one in that ebay listing. This one is 21lbs, 2x9.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Arrrghhh!!!

Beauty!

Thanks for the posts. I'd love to ride one and see how it feels. Maybe soon...
    William James

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    am I thinking right... Do the La Ruta's have an option for carbon fiber tubes bonded inside the main titanium tubes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Are all the frames titanium? Why in the world would you powdercoat titanium?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    How does the rear shock attach to the "seatstays"? What part of the shock is being clamped onto?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A titanium barrel sleeve, with two bolts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Is it a specially made shock? Or does it clamp rigidly to the eyelet tab somehow? I mean, usually the "seatstays" would connect via a shaft going through the eyelet in the shock, but this bike clamps rigidly to that end of the shock. Are there machined spacers between the titanium barrel clamp and the shock eyelet area?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone riding a Funk La Ruta?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It's an aluminum sleave over the lower eyelet. Then that is clamped into the Ti sleave.
    I have about 50+ races in three years. Plus trail riding. The whole Funk race team. Tried and tested!

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tazducks View Post
    you need to ride one to understand what i will say, but the long and short is, frame matched with high volume Fox shock can makes bike feel quite plush for an 80mm travel rear. works flawless in big or small bumps. super light and the geometry is dialed in with a 100mm fork. very light and flickable in the turns. what is most amazing is that unlike other full suspension frames with bearings and pivots, you can get the dragging anchor feeling sometimes in those style suspensions. with this design the rear is always active and what is most amazing is the way it climbs, i would venture to say best i have ever ridden. the rear design basically works like a leaf spring and as you climb typical pedal bob is basically reversed and literraly the bike pushes you along. the rear design always wants to return to neutral so if you do compress the suspension it immediately comes back and really feels like you are climbing on a hardtail, and the titanium absorbs vibration like no other....and did i mention its lightest frame around, and you never have to replace a bearing or worry about riding in extreme conditions due to nothing to seize up or rust!!! Get one!
    as a side note this bike weighs under 20lbs. it has since been converted to a lefty and is even more amazing...
    I am surprised that no one has jumped up and said "horse feathers" to some of the things you suggest. Lot's of engineer types on these boards. I am not one of them, but...

- why does having a bearing or pivot allow for a dragging anchor feeling?
    - literally the bike pushes you along. Literally pushes me along? Explain please.
    - if the bike always wants to return to neutral, then it has to be resisting compression to some degree so how would that not create a lack of suppleness somewhere? As it goes farther into its travel, it must get harder to bend that ti plate, right? How can you adjust for that in the spring rate curve?

I appreciate the simple beauty of the frame, but I have my doubts. Besides, take pretty much any FS 29er down to 21 lbs and it will feel pretty darn fast, regardless of bearing count.

I would like to see stiffness numbers for that chassis torsionally speaking, from rear axle to head tube. This may be sliced bread, but it just sounds like a fan boy speaking.

Unlike me, really, this post. Must be Contention Friday.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    - if the bike always wants to return to neutral, then it has to be resisting compression to some degree so how would that not create a lack of suppleness somewhere?
    Don't mistake 'resisting compression' for 'stiction' that would cause a lack of suppleness.

Virtually all suspension designs resist compression to some degree--think rising rate.

Those that don't do it in the linkage/design do it with valving in the damper.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Physics proves that a bumble bee can't fly, yet I see them fly all the time.
    I have had many full suspension 29er (Eriksen, Titus Ti, Moots) I have never riden such a smoot, linear,even full suspension. I got mine three years ago and still loving her. The negivtive sag in the shock makes the bike climb over trchincal with out loading up like the fsr suspension design did. It feels like a 100mm.
    Are you thinking of buying one or just....?
    When I took one for a spin at Worlds at Windham I was in love with in 100 yards. Sold both my Eriksen Ti and Titus Ti and never looked back! I have ended the upgradeitis.
    Feel free to give me a call if you are thinking of buying one and want to talk. Just PM me.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth! View Post
    Physics proves that a bumble bee can't fly, yet I see them fly all the time.
    I have had many full suspension 29er (Eriksen, Titus Ti, Moots) I have never risen such a smoot, linear,even full suspension. I got mine three years ago and still loving her. The negivtive sag in the shock makes the bike climb over trchincal with out loading up like the fsr suspension design did. It feels like a 100mm.
    Are you thinking of buying one or just....?
    When I took one for a spin at Worlds at Windham I was in love with in 100 yards. Sold both my Eriksen Ti and Titus Ti and never looked back! I have ended the upgradeitis.
    Feel free to give me a call if you are thinking of buying one and want to talk. Just PM me.
    No, but I do appreciate the simplicity and the clean look of it. Not in the market. I just bristled a bit at the post I commented on. It just struck me as part hyperbole and part imagineering.

But what do I know...you know what they say sometimes. "Question everything". If the answer is reasonable, then ok.

And you are correct, the proof is in the riding much more than the armchair innerweb wars.
    Blog Ramblings

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Don't mistake 'resisting compression' for 'stiction' that would cause a lack of suppleness.

Virtually all suspension designs resist compression to some degree--think rising rate.

Those that don't do it in the linkage/design do it with valving in the damper.
    No, I get stiction. And I suppose you are right with the built in rising rate. I know the Spearfish I am riding uses the frame's seat stays as part of the suspension design...or so it was explained to me.

Good clarification though, as always MC.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Godlikedog View Post
    Is it a specially made shock? Or does it clamp rigidly to the eyelet tab somehow? I mean, usually the "seatstays" would connect via a shaft going through the eyelet in the shock, but this bike clamps rigidly to that end of the shock. Are there machined spacers between the titanium barrel clamp and the shock eyelet area?
    It appears to be like the old Amp Research mac strut mounts. It clamps around the non-eyelet side.

Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    No, I get stiction. And I suppose you are right with the built in rising rate. I know the Spearfish I am riding uses the frame's seat stays as part of the suspension design...or so it was explained to me.

Good clarification though, as always MC.
    I'm far from an expert on the engineering involved in the Funk or the salsa, but I'd be more inclined to invoke 'horse feathers' at the marketing BS that they spew about the horsethief.

I chimed in here because I've been thinking about building a Funk-esque design that could handle 29 or 29+. Kind of a do-all XC and bikepacking or 'sploring rig, depending on rims and tires installed.

Anyhoo...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So you must be pretty bored, or have a state government job...
    I race about 20 cat1 races a year. I could and have picked any frame I wanted, and for three years picked the LaRuta. Not looking to upgrade for year four or five...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm building one inspired by the La Ruta with clearance for the 3" Knard. Let me know if you want to see my CAD drawings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I'm far from an expert on the engineering involved in the Funk or the salsa, but I'd be more inclined to invoke 'horse feathers' at the marketing BS that they spew about the horsethief.

I chimed in here because I've been thinking about building a Funk-esque design that could handle 29 or 29+. Kind of a do-all XC and bikepacking or 'sploring rig, depending on rims and tires installed.

Anyhoo...
    Every time I think I've got my dream exploring rig figured out (in my mind), Mike throws something out there like this. So you'll have a Fat YBB and a 29+ La Ruta... I hope this bike comes together soon, and I look forward to reading about it.

Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Every time I think I've got my dream exploring rig figured out (in my mind), Mike throws something out there like this. So you'll have a Fat YBB and a 29+ La Ruta... I hope this bike comes together soon, and I look forward to reading about it.
    Had an even better idea. Gonna keep the fat YBB, of course, but I like the idea of 'more' for the 29+ 'sploring rig. Pretty sure I've coerced a certain frame-manufacturing friend into building me a 140 x 140 29+.

Won't see it til spring, which is exactly when I'll need it...

MC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sort of Mammoth+. That would be a sweet bike with the Rabbit Hole/Knard. I'm assuming you would have to use a Lefty?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast