mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Anyone ride the Bontrager Dry X TLR 29?

Saw these on the Bontrager website. Interested in the 1.75 model. Can not find any real world info. Looking for lighter fast roller with some tread for hard braking and corners. This tire looks interesting on paper. Seems durable and made for tubeless for the weight. Currently using sb8s (great tire, tubeless and with tubes) but would like to try a CX or smaller XC tire (40 - 48mm) as a change of pace.
    I am planning to use the tire on a Niner MCR monstercross type bike. Will be used by 210lb. rider on SoCal fireroads and hardpack singletrack. Also, some pavement to and from rides.
    Any info or experiences with this tire or suggestions will of course be appreciated.
    Thanks, Tim

Expert Crasher
    Shiggy has made a post or two on the pre-production models he got. Mattomoto, the GF/Subaru team mech, posted his feedback to the tire engineers on this tire and I think GuitarTed has a set.

That being said, just do a search for DryX and you'll find a few hits. I did that yesterday in fact and had my LBS order me one. My Crossmark has over 400 miles on it now and at the rate I'm going, will be toast in a month or so.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by hokeypokey3
    Saw these on the Bontrager website. Interested in the 1.75 model. Can not find any real world info. Looking for lighter fast roller with some tread for hard braking and corners. This tire looks interesting on paper. Seems durable and made for tubeless for the weight. Currently using sb8s (great tire, tubeless and with tubes) but would like to try a CX or smaller XC tire (40 - 48mm) as a change of pace.
    I am planning to use the tire on a Niner MCR monstercross type bike. Will be used by 210lb. rider on SoCal fireroads and hardpack singletrack. Also, some pavement to and from rides.
    Any info or experiences with this tire or suggestions will of course be appreciated.
    Thanks, Tim
    1.75 is not yet available.

Just ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by hokeypokey3
    Thanks, Tim
    I've been riding the 2.1's for a few weeks now. They're ~700gm each. They're a very tight fit on the Bonty TLR wheels and seal well, even without sealant. (I did add ~60ml sealant but could have gotten by with less). I started ~30psi and went down from there. Currently running ~22psi. They hold air well, no burps, no leaks. Even at this weight & this low of pressure, these are the fastest rolling tires I've ever used on my Niner.

Cornering is, well, sketchy, so I may give up on this tire on the front. I am eagerly awaiting the TLR ACX tire as I previously had an ACX on the front and it cornered much better. Traction in the rear with the Dry X is ok, could be better. But for all out speed, these things are FAST.

LO

wrench
    Hi All-

I just received a set of the 1.75's. I need to mount them and ride them. I will get ya a weight and impressions soon. These are pre-production, but pretty close to what they will be.

Matto

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothar Othp
    I've been riding the 2.1's for a few weeks now. They're ~700gm each. They're a very tight fit on the Bonty TLR wheels and seal well, even without sealant. (I did add ~60ml sealant but could have gotten by with less). I started ~30psi and went down from there. Currently running ~22psi. They hold air well, no burps, no leaks. Even at this weight & this low of pressure, these are the fastest rolling tires I've ever used on my Niner.

Cornering is, well, sketchy, so I may give up on this tire on the front.
    Agreed 100% on all.

I am eagerly awaiting the TLR ACX tire as I previously had an ACX on the front and it cornered much better. Traction in the rear with the Dry X is ok, could be better. But for all out speed, these things are FAST.
    LO
    The ACX TLR 2.1 has been available all summer. They are slower, narrower, and better cornering (bigger edge knobs) than the Dry X up front. I think you're on the right track with using the ACX up front and Dry X out back. ACX is not nearly as nice of a casing, requires sealant (and mine have all leaked down significantly for the first few rides before finally getting to a slow loss of ~6psi overnight) and very easy to cut the sidewalls. Hence the front-use recommendation.

Cheers,

MC

Just ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee

The ACX TLR 2.1 has been available all summer.
    I don't see 29er ACX TLR on the Bonty website

http://www.bontrager.com/Mountain/Wh...tain_Tires.php

I'll have to check Dexter. I already have the non TLR ACX's, maybe I'll give them a go with sealant.

LO

Just ride.
    I don't see 29er ACX TLR on the Bonty website

http://www.bontrager.com/Mountain/Wh...tain_Tires.php

I'll have to check Dexter. I already have the non TLR ACX's, maybe I'll give them a go with sealant.

LO
    OK, I'm a dumbass. I found it.

http://www.bontrager.com/Mountain/Wh...Tires/5770.php

Thanks for the heads up.

LO

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Agreed 100% on all.

The ACX TLR 2.1 has been available all summer. They are slower, narrower, and better cornering (bigger edge knobs) than the Dry X up front. I think you're on the right track with using the ACX up front and Dry X out back. ACX is not nearly as nice of a casing, requires sealant (and mine have all leaked down significantly for the first few rides before finally getting to a slow loss of ~6psi overnight) and very easy to cut the sidewalls. Hence the front-use recommendation.

Cheers,

MC
    Mikesee - I had my LBS order a TLR DryX for me yesterday. Are you saying the TLR ACX uses a different casing than the DryX TLR? I was thinking of replacing my Ignitor up front with a TLR ACX on my Flows but will stick with a converted tire if the casing isn't any good.

Thanks.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Recovering couch patato
    I don't like advisising non-tubeless tires for tubless setups online, but if you like AcX better than Dry X for you trails, you may want to try a Panaracer Rampage up front. Panaracer on this forum said it's okay by them if you want to use them tubeless, even if they didn't design it for this in any way. They just stand behind their product.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mattomoto
    Hi All-

I just received a set of the 1.75's. I need to mount them and ride them. I will get ya a weight and impressions soon. These are pre-production, but pretty close to what they will be.

Matto
    Very interested to see your review. These are the size that intrigues me the most. Any info on release date to the masses, mainly me?

Thanks, Tim