mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Anyone Ridden the 2013 Rocky Mountain Instinct 950

I am looking at purchasing a 2013 Rocky Mountain Instinct 950. Has anyone out there ridden this bike? If so, what are your thoughts? How do you like the Ride 9?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have the 950. I love it. I've ridden a lot of 29 suspension bikes. This one I'm keeping.

So far I've ridden the Nuetral position and steepest with the heaviest spring rate. the heaviest spring rate feels like a very capable XC bike. The pedaling feel is very firm with essentially no movement even looking at the linkage while you pedal. This is seated in descend mode.

The Nuetral setting has a nice gradual progressive feel shock rate wise. It pedals almost as well as the steeper setting. Ill be heading up to the bigger mountains this weakend and plan on running it in DH mode.

The ride 9 takes a little bit of tinkering to line every thing up. This was best done in my bike stand. Definitely not something to do on the trail.

I think my only complaint as of now is the weight. With a dropper post and XT trail pedals, water bottle cage and 2.2 mountain kings run tubeless I'm sitting at 30 pounds 14 ounces. Still, I love the bike and at some point I might try to make it lighter. For now though ill tolerate the weight for the ride quality.

I know, pictures or it didn't happen I'm sorry , this is all I have I need to get three bikes ready and load up my car for a 5 day road trip. Pics will have to wait.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by caoboto View Post
    I have the 950. I love it. I've ridden a lot of 29 suspension bikes. This one I'm keeping.

So far I've ridden the Nuetral position and steepest with the heaviest spring rate. the heaviest spring rate feels like a very capable XC bike. The pedaling feel is very firm with essentially no movement even looking at the linkage while you pedal. This is seated in descend mode.

The Nuetral setting has a nice gradual progressive feel shock rate wise. It pedals almost as well as the steeper setting. Ill be heading up to the bigger mountains this weakend and plan on running it in DH mode.

The ride 9 takes a little bit of tinkering to line every thing up. This was best done in my bike stand. Definitely not something to do on the trail.

I think my only complaint as of now is the weight. With a dropper post and XT trail pedals, water bottle cage and 2.2 mountain kings run tubeless I'm sitting at 30 pounds 14 ounces. Still, I love the bike and at some point I might try to make it lighter. For now though ill tolerate the weight for the ride quality.

I know, pictures or it didn't happen I'm sorry , this is all I have I need to get three bikes ready and load up my car for a 5 day road trip. Pics will have to wait.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm interested to know how it made it in downhill mode and if it was able to handle the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've run the Ride 9 in the Nuetral setting, and 8 and 9 . There are definate differences in the spring rate. In all settings the Instinct has been a capable descender. My last descent of the weakend was in setting 9 from setting 8. Geometry felt a liitle more stable but still very easy to maneuver. The largest difference was in the spring rate. It got noticeably more plush.

There is still feedback from the trail but its barely there. The 8 setting felt very firm and there was more feedback when hitting obstacles. In the 8 mode I found no need to run the trail mode it pedals very firm. In 9 mode I hit the trail mode. I didn't need it but it helped a little bit so I ran it climbing.

Climbing the Instinct is not as easy as a real XC bike. I also have the Element 950. The 950 is clearly the better climber. The Instinct is more of a spin and enjoy the scenery ride.The short cockpit seamed perfect which was a concern for me as I typically prefer a longer TTH. It is upright but for some reason on the Instinct it works.

Descending the Instinct is very fun. It does very well. It's confident at speed. Even in the stiffer modes it does very well. The geometry is very descend friendly in every setting I've ridden. The stiffer suspension didn't hold me back at all. I'm still going to set up in the different modes, preferably all 9 .

Too me, the suspension had less to do with its descending ability then the geometry. The suspension is there when you need it.

I'm still loving the Instinct. More as I have time to Tinker.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Climbing the Instinct is not as easy as a real XC bike. I also have the Element 950. The 950 is clearly the better climber. The Instinct is more of a spin and enjoy the scenery ride.The short cockpit seamed perfect which was a concern for me as I typically prefer a longer TTH. It is upright but for some reason on the Instinct it works.
    Thanks for the feedback. If you had to make a choice for riding with an occasional race in a relative flat area (Ontario, Canada) which bike would you prefer between the Instinct and the Element?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    What's the terrain like ?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    What's the terrain like ?
    Primarily flat, the hills are nothing major (compared to the west coast), not too much riding in roots and rocks. At 49 I am not into jumps and drops anymore.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have ridden the Instinct 970 2 times here in the Front Range of Colorado. I have only ridden the bike in the Slackest setting of the ride 9. I think that the reviews above that said this is a very capable bike that ride on the x-c side, nails it. This bike feels like you are sitting in the bike and not on top of it. It is very playful and carvy, even at its slackest setting, but is also much more plush than the element(and my Tallboy). From the 2 rides I have on it, it is a very fun bike that is easy to like and is more playful, carvy and fun than many other 120+ travel 29ers. The CDT works great on the bike and I used it.

I have also had about 4 days on the BC edition element and this bike is great. Super agile, quick and snappy. I currently ride a Tallboy with a 120 and dropper post, and between these two bike, they ride very, very similar and are set up identical. I am biased to this bike since I love the tallboy. I rode the rear shock the hole time in the trail mode and it was great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If the trails aren't tech. Then I'd go with the Element. It's much easier to keep speed up. The geometry is spot on for XC riding. it really does everything well. You may just want to make minor adjustments for fit and preference.