mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Anyone here ridden the Remedy 8 29er yet?

I asked another, more detailed question earlier that apparently didn't tickle anyone's interest, so I'll try this shorter one - has anyone ridden the Remedy 8 29er yet, and if so do they have any thoughts? It's apparently impossible to demo them here in New Hampshire and I'm trying to research it as thoroughly as possible before taking the dive.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    I've ridden a Remedy 7 29er at Omer and Bobs in Lebanon, NH. I thought that the rear suspension felt bottomless, and that it felt almost like a hardtail, except that it was so much more fun on even the smallest of bumps.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thank you for the response! Can I ask how the fork felt? Did the bike handle well? Also, if you recall, what size was it? I'm right between a 17.5 and 19 and really trying to figure out what's perfect for me.

Thanks again!

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    The fork felt very good. I t was squishy, but it did not slow me down much at all. The 7 has a RockShox fork while the 8 has a Fox fork, so there will likely be a slightly different fork feel between the two bikes. I think the frame was a 19, but I am not sure. Frame size will be found by your height, and if you like to have a bike feel like a XC racer, or a downhill shredder. Because the Remedy has the G2 geometry, it is one of the best handling 29ers around.
    Have fun with your new bike.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Awesome - thank you so much for the detailed responses. I like the Remedy 8 specifically for the 3 setting CTD fork (as opposed to the 7).

Thanks again, I repped you up for your first reply; it wouldn't let me do it again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Re: Anyone here ridden the Remedy 8 29er yet?

I just bought one, size xl/21, last Thursday. No trail time yet, too wet.

I also have a sf 100, which I love.

Around the block I am impressed. Heavy but you don't notice it pedaling around the street anyway. More this weekend... when I'm taking it to a lift access bike park

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I'll say this... I used to have a 26er remedy carbon, about 29lbs with big burly tires and bars. The remedy 29 , with shock in climb mode, seems more "locked out" and efficient than my pushed rear rp23 I had on my 26.

Ie, I expect the remedy 29, although heavier, to be faster

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the responses rfxc... I hope you'll get a chance to hit the trails with it soon. I really wish I could demo one, but I think this is the bike I want.

Just out of curiosity, how heavy would you say it is? My bike will be a 19 at the largest, and weight isn't that important to me but I'm still curious.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have the Remedy 9 29er, 19 inch and I am 6 ft (6'1" on a good day). The bike came in at 31 lbs 6 oz fully stock.

I came from a 26er Remedy 7 and I absolutely love the 29er version. I ride 98% of the time in North Vancouver, and was a bit hesitant about the wagon wheels on our tight trails. So far, it's only been a very minor hindrance, and the fun factor of faster rolling and way better climbing has more than made up for it.

Having tried other 29ers (parking lot only) I can say that this is the best one yet. You feel like you are sitting 'in' the frame, rather than perched on top of it. Suspension is great front and back, and the three settings work great for their intended use (CTD). C really locks it out, and makes it feel very efficient.

Go for it, I am sure you'll like the Kool-Aid too!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've been rocking a Fisher 29er hardtail for 10 years, and I fully get 'perched on top' feeling. I feel way to high up on it. I am 5'10.5" right now, 32" legs; it appears 19" models are hard to come by anyway so I may go with the 17.5 model. That should save me a few ounces too, though like I said that's not as important. At any rate, how do you feel about the fit? Would you call it perfect for your size, or a little big or small?

Thanks for your response!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

At over 6ft, what it's your optimal saddle height for climbing?

I'm 5-11. Bought a 21. Saddle height is 785mm

Just curious

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just curious - why'd you opt for the 21? We're pretty similar in height; the online measurements are telling me to go 18, and my 19 feels a touch big (I'm basically on the top tube when standing).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

My inseam is 36". Long legs short torso, high center of gravity- I need longer wheelbase, prefer long top tube and short stem (running an 80mm with 690mm Bars on my SF100)

I rode a 19 SF100 for a month, needed a 105mm stem. I couldn't get my weight off the front wheel. Tried a 90mm stem, still couldn't get weight off front wheel. Too easy to go over bars, couldn't corner hard at speed.

The 21 SF100 fits me better perhaps than any bike I've ever had.

I used to ride a large anthem x.

Edit: so when it came time to buy a Remedy 29, size 21 was it. Parking lot tests indicate that the 21" Remedy 29, with stock 750mm bars and my own 60mm stem (20mm shorter than stock) feels about right.
    Last edited by rfxc; 06-26-2013 at 03:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm 5'11" and I bought the 19" model one week ago. Love it. I was expecting buyers remorse to set in by now but it hasn't. After test riding about ten bikes in five different shops and being tempted by an Enduro 26er, a discounted 2012 Rumblefish, and a Tall boy LT 29er, I settled on the Remedy 8 29er. The slack geometry setting with three headset spacers felt the best to me. There really is something special about the rear suspension, which feels bottomless. The 17.5" felt fine but the handlebars were interfering with my knees while in the saddle. It felt a little scrunched up when turning. That's why I went for the 19".

BTW, those stock Bontrager non-tubless tires work just fine tubless. Buy the rim strips, some Stan's, and some valve stems, and you're running tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    My inseam is 36". Long legs short torso, high center of gravity- I need longer wheelbase, prefer long top tube and short stem (running an 80mm with 690mm Bars on my SF100)

I rode a 19 SF100 for a month, needed a 105mm stem. I couldn't get my weight off the front wheel. Tried a 90mm stem, still couldn't get weight off front wheel. Too easy to go over bars, couldn't corner hard at speed.

The 21 SF100 fits me better perhaps than any bike I've ever had.

I used to ride a large anthem x.

Edit: so when it came time to buy a Remedy 29, size 21 was it. Parking lot tests indicate that the 21" Remedy 29, with stock 750mm bars and my own 60mm stem (20mm shorter than stock) feels about right.
    That makes perfect sense... thank you for clarifying. My legs are much shorter than yours, so I think the 19 will fit me. Tomorrow I'm going to go see how I fit on a Fuel 29er 19" bike, and I'm going to bring fit and sizing sheets for both Remedy and Fuel to see if feeling it out that way works.

Quote Originally Posted by fadec View Post
    I'm 5'11" and I bought the 19" model one week ago. Love it. I was expecting buyers remorse to set in by now but it hasn't. After test riding about ten bikes in five different shops and being tempted by an Enduro 26er, a discounted 2012 Rumblefish, and a Tall boy LT 29er, I settled on the Remedy 8 29er. The slack geometry setting with three headset spacers felt the best to me. There really is something special about the rear suspension, which feels bottomless. The 17.5" felt fine but the handlebars were interfering with my knees while in the saddle. It felt a little scrunched up when turning. That's why I went for the 19".

BTW, those stock Bontrager non-tubless tires work just fine tubless. Buy the rim strips, some Stan's, and some valve stems, and you're running tubeless.
    This is very helpful, thank you. My current 19" hard tail 29er feels a little big, but it seems all the dimensions on the Remedy are slightly smaller, and I'd prefer a touch to big than a touch to small.

Hopefully I'll be ordering one in the next week or so; really just value shopping for the best price at this point, and I think I'm pretty close.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    After much research, thought and consideration I plunked down a deposit for a 19 inch Remedy 8 29er today. I got to check out a R7 and the only sizing issue I had was that the seat post is too long; they're going to chop it down 3 inches, which should do it. I'm pretty pumped... will definitely post a review once I get a couple weeks of trail time on it.

MTB B'dos
    Just remember that you need about 100mm/4" inserted into the frame, so don't forget to include that. Curious what length post they're coming with, if it's frame size specific or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Mumphry View Post
    After much research, thought and consideration I plunked down a deposit for a 19 inch Remedy 8 29er today. I got to check out a R7 and the only sizing issue I had was that the seat post is too long; they're going to chop it down 3 inches, which should do it. I'm pretty pumped... will definitely post a review once I get a couple weeks of trail time on it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Loving my Remedy 9 29er so far riding a 19" at just a bit over 5'10 and 34" inseam the bike feels just right. Really is one of the best bikes I have owned. My other choices were a tallboy lt or a RIP 9. I have since gotten to ride both those bikes and I feel Remedy was still the best choice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Just remember that you need about 100mm/4" inserted into the frame, so don't forget to include that. Curious what length post they're coming with, if it's frame size specific or not?
    It comes with a Bontrager Rhythm Elite, which appears, based on the Bontrager site, to be either 330 or 400 mm. On the R7 it just seems to be too long - on the lowest setting the seat is a touch over 40 inches off the ground. On my current bike my preferred height is 36.5 inches. I'll certainly ensure there's still 4 inches in the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by dea1276 View Post
    Loving my Remedy 9 29er so far riding a 19" at just a bit over 5'10 and 34" inseam the bike feels just right. Really is one of the best bikes I have owned. My other choices were a tallboy lt or a RIP 9. I have since gotten to ride both those bikes and I feel Remedy was still the best choice.
    I was looking at pretty much every option and narrowed it down to the specialized Specialized Enduro Comp SE and this. While the ultimate factor became availability, I'm convinced this is the right choice based on the overall package and my riding style. All the positive feedback the Remedy 29ers are getting help a lot too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dea1276 View Post
    Would you be willing to elaborate on why the Remedy 29 won your heart over the Tallboy LT? About to pull the trigger on a Remedy 29 and making final comparisons so any beta would help.