mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Anyone have a big mama?

I'm thinking about buying a used big mama, was wondering what people thought about it? I read about chain suck issues and was wondering how bad it was.

Also, it is currently a single speed with ZTR Arch Rims with SRAM 9 hubs, would I have to get a new hub for the rear to get a 1X9 setup going?

All help is appreciated!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    need a small, I might have one for you.
    Large Niner One9 w/Niner carbon fork
    Large El Mariachi Ti Lefty equipped

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    no sorry, I need a medium or large, how was your experience with it?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ibjames View Post
    I'm thinking about buying a used big mama, was wondering what people thought about it? I read about chain suck issues and was wondering how bad it was.

Also, it is currently a single speed with ZTR Arch Rims with SRAM 9 hubs, would I have to get a new hub for the rear to get a 1X9 setup going?

All help is appreciated!

Thanks!
    I liked mine. Chainsuck happened only when the chainrings were worn out.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    belongs to a buddy, he might've liked it better if he got a medium, his is a bit small. He went with the sizing on Salsa's website for his height.
    Large Niner One9 w/Niner carbon fork
    Large El Mariachi Ti Lefty equipped

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah, but I would never tell her.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibjames View Post
    I've run mine for a couple of seasons. I can recall three, maybe four occasions during that time when the chain got sucked in and then jammed. It's not the suck so much as it is that the chain gets jammed and you can't just lift it out again. If you run a Powerlink or similar, you can just disconnect the link, pull the chain through, and free it that way.

At first I didn't like mine, because it's heavy, especially as compared to the Hifi 29er Pro I had come from. But I grew to like the Big Mama, in part because it's heavy. It's got a good, solid feel to it when you're slamming into roots and such. I also found the geometry to be a really good fit for the way my body is configured, so much so that I've since bought two more Salsa frames. One of those is a Spearfish which I hope gives me the geometry I like without so much weight to haul around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just sold one and already I miss it. It was a tad heavy at 30 lbs but I had 2.3 tires and a 5" fork with a 20mm thru axle on it. It bombed thru everything and climbed just as well.

My new Spearfish is nice, but its made for a different type of riding.

If you can get a good deal on the BM buy it, you'll like it

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I've run mine for a couple of seasons. I can recall three, maybe four occasions during that time when the chain got sucked in and then jammed. It's not the suck so much as it is that the chain gets jammed and you can't just lift it out again. If you run a Powerlink or similar, you can just disconnect the link, pull the chain through, and free it that way.

At first I didn't like mine, because it's heavy, especially as compared to the Hifi 29er Pro I had come from. But I grew to like the Big Mama, in part because it's heavy. It's got a good, solid feel to it when you're slamming into roots and such. I also found the geometry to be a really good fit for the way my body is configured, so much so that I've since bought two more Salsa frames. One of those is a Spearfish which I hope gives me the geometry I like without so much weight to haul around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I do and love mine. No chain suck, ever, but I don't ride that much. I run mine 1x9 with a Salsa chainring up front. Wish I had more time to ride!

X9 hubs should be ready for a cassette.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Single Speed really? how does tha work?

I ride with a guy who has one and he really like it I have never seen him have chain suck issues (deosnt mean he hasnt).. his is right aroiund 30lbs I believe with a very reaonable build no super high dollar or wieght weenie parts (older reba, XT, shimano wheels, mtn king tires, wtb saddle, salsa bar). I would conisder one if looking at a good price point
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've got a new old stock, never built medium frame I may be willing to sell.

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Yeah, but I would never tell her.

Nicely done!!
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I love mine but the quest for a lighter frame has forced me to sell. It is a size large if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i have a budget BM I built a year ago. Size medium. The bike is mint. I like the bike a lot I just don't ride much lately. I'll probably let it go cheap and save up for something in the future.For a FS bike it climbs really well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    for all that are talking about this can you PM me? Let me know the price and what parts it has on it?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I've had mine for 2 years. When I replaced the bearings,I had it powdercoated Flat black and added a few accessories. Sun Ringle Black Flags, Sram Carbon crank 2x9 (which ended all chainsuck issues), KS 950r seatpost, SLX Ice Tech brakes, Windcutter rotors, XT FD, X9 RD, XO grip shifters, Raceface Atlas bars, Raceface Deus Stem, Raceface bashguard. I'll post photos before & after later.
    Last edited by coacheye; 11-29-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Add a picture

human dehumidifier
    I have a small here. The biggest gripe I have with mine is there's no bottle cage mounts, so no matter how far I ride, I have to put a bag on my back. I hate those things most times. Oh, and I had horrible ghost shifting problems until I taped the cable loop down to the chainstay so suspension couldn't affect the cable tension.

I've found certain conditions will induce the chain suck. Shifting to the granny while the suspension is compressed seems to cause it on mine. There's one place here where I was able to make it happen every time. So I just worked around that, no big deal.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    When I had an LX crank, chainsuck happened when I dropped to the small chainring on steep climbs. Picked up a new Noir crank and 32/24 Blackspire rings and I have not had an issue. I've became a better rider with this bike and learned how to shift appropriately for this bike. Suggestion: Always keep your chain lubed, keep an eye on chain wear and be proactive on steep climbs (drop to small chainring earlier). Other than that the Bike is awesome. I have other bikes (Niner EMD) and On One (Inbred 29er) SS, but this is the GO-TO bike and always the first choice. A lighter bike would be nice, but the frame is bullet-proof. I weigh over 200 lbs and give her a beating...It's better that I lose weight before the bike does. I have made gradual changes to the Salsa Big Mama and feel that it is spec'ed out to my style of riding. Many people buy bikes, ride them for a short period,then read a replies from forums and are convinced it is the bike that holds them back, then buy a new one and the cycle conitues. Commit to a bike, ride it, make improvements to it and keep riding it. I have 3 bikes that offer three different types of riding styles. Thanks to MTBR, Craigslist and eBay, I have been able to build all my bikes for a fraction of retail and all my bikes have components that I handpicked.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by coacheye View Post
    When I had an LX crank, chainsuck happened when I dropped to the small chainring on steep climbs.
    My chainsuck problem didn't manifest until I installed an LX crank. I had a Firex on it for months before that and had zero problems with it.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    I love my Big Mama.

The chain suck is easily solved by putting some type of protection on the stay. In addition to protecting the stay it narrows the gap down so the chain can't push through. I have taped apiece of leather there and also wrapped an old road tyre there with success.

The weight issue is BS. If you build a pig, you ride a pig. The published claimed weights for 18"(M) that I saw from owners when deciding was 3000g, with the larger sizes maxing out at 3200g. A few hundred grammes more than some other bikes. Anyone who would claim to feel that spread over a whole frame is not someone I would listen too closely to.

Only frame breakage would see me replace it and I ride very steep, long rides on it.

One thing I would do immediately if it hasn't been done is replace the suspension bearings. Prepare for a fight - I never thought I'd bash a bike that hard.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by coacheye View Post
    I've had mine for 2 years. When I replaced the bearings,I had it powdercoated Flat black and added a few accessories. Sun Ringle Black Flags, Sram Carbon crank 2x9 (which ended all chainsuck issues), KS 950r seatpost, SLX Ice Tech brakes, Windcutter rotors, XT FD, X9 RD, XO grip shifters, Raceface Atlas bars, Raceface Deus Stem, Raceface bashguard. I'll post photos before & after later.
    I would like another Big Mama (medium). Was the perfect suspension bike for me.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    The weight issue is BS.
    I have a different perspective to offer. The weight is real. Some here might recall that I was put off by the weight at first. Ride the bike though. Give it a chance. The weight never held me back. (I've enough weight of my own to do that). And in fact, the weight lent a certain authority to the bike that was welcome over rough ground and going down hills. It was only ever a drawback on climbs.

I ended up buying one for my son. And his two friends also ride Big Mamas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It was a big fat pig and rode like one. Much happier on my YS. No issues with chain suck (1x9).
    Idaho

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I love my big mama, as others have said it rides like a lot lighter bike. Not sure what makes that happen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I first built my frame up with crap/cheap parts and hated it due to how sluggish it felt. Not the bikes fault at all. I was about to sell it when I splurged for a new easton wheelset. That made all the difference in the world. Now I love it.