Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    808+909 = Party Good Time

Anyone go back from suspension to rigid and why?

I like to downhill speed of suspension but thinking I might switch back for every other reason.

Would love to hear others stories of success or failure after switching.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by chumbox View Post
    I like to downhill speed of suspension but thinking I might switch back for every other reason.

Sure, as an attempt to get some SS work in last fall, I went from this for the off season....

XCRIP9Tires

....to this...

KMDisc

....which quickly led to this....

drinking

...which led to me being on the couch....

BB

....which led to a chain reaction of events and now I'm happily back on suspension.

Trail Prospector
    Discovered that this,

Anyone go back from suspension to rigid and why?-p1010991.jpg

is overkill on most nearby trails.
    ------------
    Now this,

Anyone go back from suspension to rigid and why?-p1020007.jpg

most often gets taken to carve them up.

Hadn't thought of it as fail / win, and so far no couch-time, or family intervention has occurred.
    Last edited by Flyin_W; 04-25-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    I have a 26er FS bike with 6"+ of travel which I use for a lot of my MTBing needs. I had a 29er HT which I just replaced with a 29er rigid bike - although I went from 2.4" tires to 3" tires. I'm using the 29er for bikepacking and smoother XC rides. If you made me get ride of all but one MTB I'd keep the 26er FS bike.

I think having 2 MTB options is nice to pick the right tool for the job and for some variety.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Professional Crastinator
    I usu. ride a rigid 29er.
    I bought a 5" FS 26er just to see what all the hubbub was about. It is fun and fast on the downs, but I go to the rigid 29er 95% of the time. For me that's the "real" MTB experience. FS insulates me too much from the terrain.
    But I don't switch at planned intervals or anything. The FS comes out on random impulse.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    just recently got an old squishie fork from a friend so for the first time in 8-10 years i am riding front suspension. fun! it haz lockout so it can be squishie or not. i see no downsides so far and am wondering if i will ever go back to a fully rigid front.

back in the day standing climbs plain sucked with suspension; these days with a lockout not so much.

Chairman of the Beard
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I have a 26er FS bike with 6"+ of travel which I use for a lot of my MTBing needs. I had a 29er HT which I just replaced with a 29er rigid bike - although I went from 2.4" tires to 3" tires. I'm using the 29er for bikepacking and smoother XC rides. If you made me get ride of all but one MTB I'd keep the 26er FS bike.

I think having 2 MTB options is nice to pick the right tool for the job and for some variety.
    Same, have JET9, recently bought a Krampus for the front range trails that aren't too techy. Digging the climbing efficiency, still having way too much fun going downhill.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    Every time I switch to my susp fork, I curse it on the climbs (bobs, and adds a couple of lbs). And then I hit some sort of root or rock or tech feature too fast and I think "that would have sucked rigid". I'm at about 60/40 rigid/suspension for most of my riding (one bike, 2 forks). If I had 2 bikes, I dunno...

mtbr member
    Why not one of each? I keep it fresh by switching back and forth from FS to SS hardtail depending where I'll be riding and what mood I'm in.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Have had a Tallboy and a Jet9.
    Both of them barely got ridden in comparison to my Blacksheep so I sold them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sold my FS bikes. Still have a HT SS, and built up a rigid SS 3 months ago. HT SS gets the call when I'm headed out with fast people. But rest of the time, rigid has been awesome.

Also, whenever TR posts his BS, it pisses me off and makes me hot-n-bothered at the same time.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Sold my FS bikes. Still have a HT SS, and built up a rigid SS 3 months ago. HT SS gets the call when I'm headed out with fast people. But rest of the time, rigid has been awesome.

Also, whenever TR posts his BS, it pisses me off and makes me hot-n-bothered at the same time.
    You get hot and bothered??
    I have to walk past her several times a day!!

TR You don't miss squishie on bombing downhills?

workin' it Administrator

Went from a 6"x6" santa cruz bullit to an El Mariachi and then a jones diamond.

I just got tired of the full suspension dance. My time is precious and having to tinker with suspension settings, checking pressure etc, just cut into my few minutes i have available to ride. With the rigid bike I check air pressure, lube the chain if it needs it and ride.

I got a fat front setup for serious traction and some cush when needed but I have a matching front which I ride most the time anyway. However I still dream of a full suspension rig here and then. Something with cush travel and fast roll over descending....but it isn't going to happen for a long long time because my money is tight but not as tight as my time.
    Try this: HTFU

Rockcrusher you just summed up my whole life story and reasoning for switching back right there. Thanks.

the half breed devil
    l like having front suspension...although i like one speed and the simplicity of vee brakes...along with the ability to go long and fast...get my drift?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone go back from suspension to rigid and why?-dscn0520.jpg  

Anyone go back from suspension to rigid and why?-dscn0551.jpg  

Anyone go back from suspension to rigid and why?-img_20120512_174049.jpg  

B.Ike
    Unlike wives, (like wanting two headaches), bikes for me are like girl-friends: the more the merrier. Why pick? I'd someday like to run my local trails on a dirt jumper and a cyclecross. For now I mix it up with ss ridgid 29er, 1x9 29er ht trail bike, and ht 26er am bike. I can't seem to make it more than two or three rides in a row before I've got to mix it up. OCD?

TR
    Angry bunny
    TR You don't miss squishie on bombing downhills?
    Not really, but that is more because there is not much technical stuff where I ride.
    That said, I am stockpiling parts to build up a Prime.
    Hopefully it is not an expensive mistake.

My other current want is a CX bike.

For real downhill adrenaline, I have 2 road bikes.

Trail Prospector

Re: Anyone go back from suspension to rigid and why?

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Not really, but...
    For real downhill adrenaline, I have 2 road bikes.
    Just saying this ^ on a mt bike site could invite an arse kicking.

Now quit playing in traffic, the fumes are making you daffy.

(by phone)
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

There need be no "switching" bikes in mountain biking. Only "adding".

I did not switch to rigid, but I did add one. It was fun to shake things up and make things challenging again. This went along with SS. For a couple years I rode this way more than the geared FS.

After a while, I got tired of getting beat up and I added a suspension fork...... then I got tired only having one gear, and went 1x3..... then 1x5.... then 1x9.... then I just started riding the FS most of the time.

I have since re-purposed the rigid for on/off pavement exploring.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Here's two trails. Riding one, I'd like a fully. On the other, I'd prefer my 20 pound rigid. I have no interest in a half suspension bike for either.

(Rocky trail was borrowed from daily pic thread, smooth trail was horsethief bench along the colorado)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone go back from suspension to rigid and why?-horseshoe-bench.jpg  

Anyone go back from suspension to rigid and why?-8682773446_224f047a4a_c.jpg  

mtbr member
    I kind of agree with Teton29er here. I keep wanting to downsize from a FS 26" and a rigid (not ridged) SS 29er to a HT 29er, but for me a hardtail is a middling compromise. When I try to blast down the trail like on the FS, the rear end gets slammed around. If I pick my line to avoid that, well, why not just enjoy the sharp steering or a rigid bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Teton29er View Post
    Here's two trails. Riding one, I'd like a fully. On the other, I'd prefer my 20 pound rigid. I have no interest in a half suspension bike for either.

(Rocky trail was borrowed from daily pic thread, smooth trail was horsethief bench along the colorado)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I rode with front suspension for fifteen years. I picked up a custom steel 29er in 2006 with suspension-corrected rigid fork. At the same time, I bought a suspension fork. I never installed the suspension fork, and have been riding rigid ever since. Less to futz with, better steering, concentrate on the trail and improving skills. I'd be faster with a suspension fork, but who cares? Keep it simple.

mtbr member
    I'm in this club.

Just sold a beauty of a full sussy frame because I just got so used to the niceness of standing on the pedals without the suspension sucking up the energy.

Rigid is what I like...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    and TR that is one fine rig.

SPP
    Rigid.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast