mtbr member

Anyone on a geared Misfit diSSent?

I know it is a SS frame but Misfit offers a dérailleur hanger and I know I am not in the kind of shape to do any serious riding on a SS bike. I was wondering how the frame does with a geared setup. I was thinking even just doing a 1x9 so that I kinda get started in the SS direction. I love the frame (looks, reviews) but if it is not the best option to use as a geared frame eventually changing to a full SS bike, I am open to suggestions.

I wasn't sure if I should post here or in the single speed section.
    Last edited by Nubster; 03-10-2010 at 02:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I am in the process of switching my SS dissent to geared right now...
    Just ordered some ZTR flows with 15mm axels and hunting around for a X0 or X9 1x9 setup.

Was looking for pics of how people routed the fully housed derailleur cable...

I love my Dissent by the way, just want try picking the gear for the trail, instead of picking the trail for the gear. It can get a little hilly here in northern CA.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    A friend converted his to a one by nine.

If you want to look thru a few pages......

Misfit riders unite!
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

Off the back...
    My wife uses a diSSent for her winter bike, and rides 1x9. It actually works really well. She has the Mk 1 frame, which built up into a geared bike easily. I set it up with one long run of cable housing from stem to stern, and the shifting has been crisp. The only hitch I ran into was with the chainring. Using a ring designed for shifting [i.e. a standard chainring] allowed the chain to derail occasionally. I installed an old CX ring and all is well.
    dgsmills.com
    #pinkrobeyyc
    CMBA

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks Pinkrobe and Juanmoretime,

Ordered the ZTR Flows with 15mm QR conversions and 10mm solid axels (a cool set up they showed me at Thread Cycle in Campbell CA) and a Niner carbon fork yesterday.
    For the 1x9 I am thinking about a X0 twist shift (I put that on my daughters bike and liked it) X0 9 speed derailleur small cage and 11/26 PG970 cassette. I need to count teeth on the current single and see if 26 buys me enough climb, but I liked the idea of small cage and tight shifts.

Opinions?

I know a lot of dough for a $450 Al frame. But there is magic in that frame, I really like the feel. It kills my epic in every way, but gears, at the moment.

When all done I should have a clean 07 Epic marathon to sell, some used Misfit SS wheels, and a fu bar...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I ride a 1x9 al frame dissent with a fox fork. It's been great as a geared bike. Do it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hi Pinkrobe,

Re-reading your message and not sure I follow your reference to derailing and using an old CX ring to fix it?? CX ring being a cycle cross ring? How is that different?
    I was hoping to use my SS ring in front, would that do the same thing?
    Did I miss your point completely?

Thanks again to all who replied. Did not know there was a large Misfit cult out there!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey daveinalmaden

Not sure what pinkrobe meant about using a CX ring, but a SS specific ring will work better than one designed for shifting due to the taller teeth and lack of shift gates. I'd also recommend getting a chain guide or using a chain catcher+bashring combo. One of my friends installed an MRP 1x catcher, and while I can't compare it to any other catchers, it does the job. I used to be able to derail his bike jumping over (and occasionally on...) logs, not anymore.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I know it is a SS frame but Misfit offers a dérailleur hanger and I know I am not in the kind of shape to do any serious riding on a SS bike. I was wondering how the frame does with a geared setup. I was thinking even just doing a 1x9 so that I kinda get started in the SS direction. I love the frame (looks, reviews) but if it is not the best option to use as a geared frame eventually changing to a full SS bike, I am open to suggestions.

I wasn't sure if I should post here or in the single speed section.
    been riding my diSSent 1x10 for almost a year now. Bought an X-cal and took off all the parts and sold the frame. Then slowly upgraded parts as I went along. Now set up 1x10 with XT drivetrain and SLX cranks. Arch rims on Chris King hubs. I absolutely love this bike. The frame geo makes the bike feel a manueverable as my Trek Top Fuel. Really no issues with running it 1x10 as far as set up. I'd suggest ordering 2 hangers, just in case you break one or bend past the point of straightening it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone on a geared Misfit diSSent?-rear-wheel.jpg  

Anyone on a geared Misfit diSSent?-front-hanging.jpg  

Anyone on a geared Misfit diSSent?-endor3.jpg  

Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I know this is raising a thread from the dead, but that's better than a new one, right?

For those of you running gears on a mkii, can you post what you're running in the front and back? I've seen reference several times to bad chain slap or no clearance running too small a ring up front and I'm trying to figure a little more out before I bite the bullet and pick up a used MkII frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    hi jpeaslee,
    I almost forgot I posted this way back then. I went 1x9 on my misifit with mkii sliders.
    I run a Shimano crank and 36 up front, an X0 9 speed cluster (12-36, I think) with an X0 short cage and a velo neoprene sleeve to prevent chain slap. With that set-up I cannot hit the 12 (9th gear) without rubbing the sleeve. With a 34 I could not hit 8th gear.

Still well worth it in my opinion. It lets me enjoy my misfit when being out of the saddle on travel for 3 weeks would make me dread the first few days back on my SS. I still play mind games "Nothing lower than 4th on this loop..." so it feels like the single, up of the saddle for the climbs.

Another tip: I upgraded cranks and the new one had a double ring. Really small one (maybe a 20) and the 36. I left the small ring on, and one day when climbing a real ***** I reached down and manual shifted to the 20. It worked for 1st thru 4th. Now I know I can manual shift to granny gears when absolutely required and still run the short cage "1"x9 set up.

mtbr member

Anyone on a geared Misfit diSSent?

SLX cranks with a 30T chainring, I originally set it up with a 26T while I was waiting for the the 30T to come in from Andersen. 11-36 XT cassette and a med cage XT rear derailleur. Never had any issues with chainring clearance. As far as chain slap that more about having the right length chain and type of rear derailleur. I absolutely love this setup. I might be buying a slightly used frame as a back up or just build it up with spare parts I have lying around.
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9