mtbr member

Anyone else's KENDA Klaw XT leak?

Just making note......

Mounted a new KANDA Klaw XT on my Stans 29er rims and the sidewalls leak!!! NOT the bead but the actual sidewalls. Not to mention the bead is not sealing too well either. Bad batch maybe......

Should of just got another Maxxis.

Stans sealant is ooozing everywhere.......I'd take them back but I bought them in San Diego and now I'm in New Zealand.....bugger.
    Not afraid of reality.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

Not uncommon...

Quote Originally Posted by ne14cycling
    Just making note......

Mounted a new KANDA Klaw XT on my Stans 29er rims and the sidewalls leak!!! NOT the bead but the actual sidewalls. Not to mention the bead is not sealing too well either. Bad batch maybe......

Stans sealant is ooozing everywhere.......I'd take them back but I bought them in San Diego and now I'm in New Zealand.....bugger.
    to have some sealant oozing throught the sidewalls on initial set-up. Just rotate the wheels around and over and it should eventually seal up. I'm assuming you shook up the sealant well before you put it in.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ne14cycling
    Just making note......

I was going to keep quiet until I read the last line.

The Klaws are not designed to be used without an inner tube. The moment you mounted them without tubes and with sealant you voided any warranty and made them non-returnable.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Shock the sealant like a 17 year old with a Glamore magazine....added 2 "cup"s...normally I just put one in.....I have spun, rotated and sloshed that stuff around for 3 days.....maybe my sealant is "done".....

After all one viewing of the "Stan's Sealant" video and I know this KENDA should be sealing up.....

I'll give that a try......thanks for helping me think outside the box.....its gotta be the damned sealant.......

Cheers
    Not afraid of reality.

mtbr member
    Shiggy....really...only with tubes?

Do people still use tubes!?!?!

Just kidding of course......

bummer.....Anyone in Wellington, NZ want a real cheap tire?

Cheers for the help
    Not afraid of reality.

And He was Not
    I never could get my rear one to seal up, the front did fine. A friend of mine added a cup of slime to his and he said it helped. Mine kept producing pin holes in the side wall. I had a similar expirence with the Karma.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    Welcome everyone to the new Kenda tires. I have posted about this on Stans forums, e-mailed with them and and Kenda both. Here's the long and short of it.

Yes, these (and any other tires that are non UST or tubeless ) are not designed to be used in a tubeless application. (I'll use the term UST to designate tubeless even though that really refers to a standard that not every tubless tire/rim conforms to)

Yes, Stan's sealant, rim strips, and valve stems with yellow tape are made to convert the tubed tires to tubeless in the interest of saving weight. Technically, you can't return a Kenda (or any other tire that is made to be used with tubes) because they won't seal up.

A little background on Kendas. Many of their tires come in both UST and non-UST versions. Most of them are actually made from diferent rubber. For instance, the Blue Groove. In UST is is almost completely LR3 rubber where as the non-UST is a dual-compound tire of LR3 and DTC or Stick-E compound. In 26" tires, the UST weighs just over 770 Grams and has larger/taller lugs. The Non-UST version can come in a weight as low as 427 Grams with shorter/smaller lugs. The Non-UST versions of their tires perform much diferent (and typically better becuase of dual compound).

These newer Non-UST tires are averaging about 40-50 grams lighter than previous versions for the XC racing scene. Most of the weight reduction comes from a thinner sidewall. When the tire is pulled from the mold, there are rubber "nipples" about every 2-3 inches. With the rubber being so thin on the sidewall now, if those rubber nipples are pulled, you are left with a good sized pinhole and the thinner sidewalls are inconsistent.

Stans experience so far matches my own. About one in three (average) tires will seal without bleed through or pinholes. Stans and Kenda have been business partners for a couple of years now. Stans has talked with Kenda to try and address the quality control of the tires but don't see much change down the road.

I have two Kenda tires that bleed sealant in sections as long as three inches and the other side has up to 11 pinholes that spray sealant. I have a third that will hold air long enough for a three to four hour ride. Some things that have limited effect include:

* mixing ATV Slime with the Stans

* Mixing glitter in with the Stans (adds to the small glitter like stuff that they use) to seal pinholes.

* Some folks have had better luck using Molder's latex and water. The downside to this mixture is the latex has a measure of ammonia in it and over time can eat away at the rubber from the inside. If you use this mixture, it is best to pull the tire every other month and clean it and let sit for a few days before mounting again.

* Standard rules apply for airing up (and setting the bead). Don't use Co2. Use compressors. The Co2 will freeze and ball up a good amount of your sealant (any variety) and leave you with less liquid to fill all the holes. (Just had to mention that)

For the most part, this issue is worse with the DTC/Stick-E and LR3 dual compound tires which not all Kenda non-UST tires are made from.

I have been messing around with these Kenda setups for the past year here in TX. When I have to go further West to race/ride in places like Terlingua (Lajitas), El Dorado (XBar Ranch), Kerrville, and some places North of San Antonio with sharper rocks or lots of Cactus, I just take the weight hit and use UST tires with sealant. Almost everywhere else, I just use the converted tires and sealant ans survive just fine.

My experience so far has been that the non-UST tires (in 26" application any maker) that are at a weight above 450-460 grams, will seal up nearly perfectly at install and continue to hold air and withstand punctures. I am still trying to determine the best break even weight for the 29er tires. I have high hopes for the Maxxis Ignitor as I have a couple of race team guys that are using them on Stans hoops (mostly my adventure racer folks) with great results so far. I am waiting on some 29er Karmas to get here for rear wheel test run in converted application.