808+909 = Party Good Time

Anyone else have trouble keep Sun Equalizer 23 rims true?

Been riding them since December and have had the LBS (good wheel builder) true them but no matter how well they are trued they just go out again.

I ride XC on a 29er hardtail but I wouldn't say I was aggressive compared to others, however I do ride rocks and roots as quick as I possibly can, which isn't that quick in comparison.

Wheels came stock on 2009 Kona Big Kahuna and looking at getting them pulled apart and rebuilt 'properly' or just getting new rims.

Current wheels:
    Sun Equalizer 23 rims
    Deore rear hub
    Formula front hub
    15g Sandvik Stainless spokes

Any thoughts?

Former Bike Wrench
    Has your LBS checked the spoke tension on them...they can true them all day long but if you have uneven spoke tension they are going to come out of true again.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I am riding the Disc-o-Flea wheelset that uses these rims. I am a clyde and have ridden them on my HT and a FS and only did minor truing. The rear had all of the drive side spokes replaced thanks to a well placed branch and following the spoke replacement, still remains true. Been thinking of getting a new rear hub to lace to these rims, I like them so much.
    I turn a wrench @ Simplicity Cycles
    http://www.simplicity-cycles.com

Quote Originally Posted by bikewrench
    Yeah, I am riding the Disc-o-Flea wheelset that uses these rims. I am a clyde and have ridden them on my HT and a FS and only did minor truing. The rear had all of the drive side spokes replaced thanks to a well placed branch and following the spoke replacement, still remains true. Been thinking of getting a new rear hub to lace to these rims, I like them so much.
    Everytime I do a search, I get the same sort of reviews coming up for them... maybe they just need pulling apart and relacing by my LBS. Might have got a bad stock set. I was thinking of doing the same, switching out the formula hub if they are pulling them apart anyways.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by chumbox
    Everytime I do a search, I get the same sort of reviews coming up for them... maybe they just need pulling apart and relacing by my LBS. Might have got a bad stock set. I was thinking of doing the same, switching out the formula hub if they are pulling them apart anyways.
    Machine built wheels are always a crap shoot. If I get a set of wheels new on a bike, the first thing I do is tension them correctly. Sometimes setting the proper even tension results in a wheel slightly out of true, but if it's within a reasonable tolerance (say a mm or so) then I leave them. Unless your tire clearance is tight, it really doesn't make that much of a difference. My current rear wheel is that way, but it stays the same amount of "out of true" because the spoke tension is even.

Might just need a rebuild...if the the front Formula hub is cartridge bearing, I wouldn't bother replacing unless you think your going to upgrade to a 15mm or 20mm thru axle fork in the future. Front hubs are just two bearings and a shell.

Professional Crastinator
    After folding 2 AC front rims (due to pilot error) I replaced it with the much more economical and just as light with a larger bead hook EQ23 (laced to the AC hub with Wheelsmith 14/15 spokes). I did the normal stressing when I built it, rode it twice, re-tensioned, and it has been true ever since. I even got it wedged in some rocks at Michaux and it was fine. I weigh 185# and I don't think twice about dropping off a picnic table.

-F

Flaccid Member
    I think the mistake was in building the wheel sets with straight 15 gauge spokes, instead of something double butted 14/15/14 gauge spokes, certainly at least on the rear wheel, and also on the rotor side of the front wheel.
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 01-31-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    If I get a set of wheels new on a bike, the first thing I do is tension them correctly. Sometimes setting the proper even tension results in a wheel slightly out of true, but if it's within a reasonable tolerance (say a mm or so) then I leave them. Unless your tire clearance is tight, it really doesn't make that much of a difference. My current rear wheel is that way, but it stays the same amount of "out of true" because the spoke tension is even.
    Took them to my local LBS and he completely undid both wheels and did exactly as your described above. They have been retensioned properly from scratch. He mentioned the wheels are now 'ever so slightly' out of true now but within tolerance.

Yet to ride them but pretty sure they'll be fine now.

Thanks all for the advice.