mtbr member

Anyone 6' on a XL Highball (or similar)?

So I am looking at getting a SC Highball as I can get a great deal on an XL - but only in XL. At 6', I normally ride a large frame, but was thinking the XL would be OK with a short stem.

Seat tube is 21.5", top tube is 25", standover 31.3", which all sounds slightly less than ideal, but basically fine.

So, for anyone 6' or 6"1' on an XL with similar geo, what do you think? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    So I am looking at getting a SC Highball as I can get a great deal on an XL - but only in XL. At 6', I normally ride a large frame, but was thinking the XL would be OK with a short stem.

Seat tube is 21.5", top tube is 25", standover 31.3", which all sounds slightly less than ideal, but basically fine.

I'm your size. I had an XL Tallboy carbon for about a year (also got a great deal on it because it was XL). It worked, but I couldn't get over the fact that it probably wasn't ideal. I eventually moved to a L Tallboy LTc. This was for pretty aggressive trail riding, though. For something more XC focused, it might be just right. Long story short, I think you will be able to ride the bike comfortably, no problem, but a more stretched out position will be your only option.

Dropshot Champ!
    on almost exactly the same geo (top tube is identical), I'm 6ft and ride a large. With 750 bars and a 90x6* flipped stem. Fit is perfect but aggressive.

XL would be too big for me.

Try and ride both if you can

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post

I was in the same boat as you ... could've gotten a really good deal on the XL but was worried it would be too big.

Anyway, ended up buying a large and I have to say, while I'm not sure if the XL would've been ok, the large fits me well.

Mine is aluminum, b/c I wanted to run it singlespeed, so even though it was a killer deal on the XL, the L "only" cost me about $300 more.

For me, it was worth the extra $$$ to make sure it was going to fit ...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Santa Cruz runs a little small. I am 6' and ride a large highball with a 70mm stem. With that set up it feels a little small, a 100mm stem feels better, but I dont like decending with a 100mm stem so I ride with the 70mm. I think a XL with a 50-70mm stem might work.

BTW, the highball is awesome, such a fast and fun bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by taylor.roberts View Post
    Santa Cruz runs a little small. I am 6' and ride a large highball with a 70mm stem. With that set up it feels a little small, a 100mm stem feels better, but I dont like decending with a 100mm stem so I ride with the 70mm. I think a XL with a 50-70mm stem might work.

BTW, the highball is awesome, such a fast and fun bike.
    Yeah, I'm running a 80 mm stem with a Niner Carbon fork...agreed it is super fun and geo is sweet!

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    6' 2" and running a 100mm stem and setback post on my Large Highball C, the top tube is lower than my Large Niner EMD 9.

I could see myself on a XL running a 80mm and no setback post
    Cube LTD PRO
    Niner EMD
    Trek Fuel EX 8
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    on almost exactly the same geo (top tube is identical), I'm 6ft and ride a large. With 750 bars and a 90x6* flipped stem. Fit is perfect but aggressive.

XL would be too big for me.

Try and ride both if you can
    Well, I am a bit shorter and I am very comfortable on the XL. Not sure if it's just me...

Happy Trails

Don't do it.

mtbr member

I am 6'1" and had a large highball and large tbc for a year and a half. After lots of riding I came to want wider bars and shorter stem (60mm) on both. Frame was too small to do that. Went XL on a new highball frame and got an xl tbltc. Both set up the same with 60mm stem and 680mm bars. Perfection.
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    I am 6'1 1/4" haha, 6'2" in the morning with 34" inseam. I ride an XL tallboy, with a 60 stem and wide bars. I could not get the setup I wanted on a smaller Tallboy.

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot for all the responses. It does sound like the XL will be fine with short stem which is what I prefer anyway. It's too good a deal to pass up, so I am going to do it. Thanks again - very helpful!

mtbr member

Enjoy, it's a ripper. I ride AM on mine with a dropper and beefy tires when I want to change it up from the TBLTc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by argibson View Post
    Enjoy, it's a ripper. I ride AM on mine with a dropper and beefy tires when I want to change it up from the TBLTc.
    Thanks. I live in your area. Just wondering what trails you find the bike capable of going down before it is (or you are) out of comfort zone or thinking you wish you were on the TBLTc? How does it handle Solstice/split rock type of trails?

mtbr member

I have ridden solstice, quarry on Burdell, 711, hitlers, and other gnarly rocky steep trails on the highball. Without dropper-uncomfortable. With dropper and beefy tires-fun, but just a little more challenging than TBLTc and slower on the technical chunky downs. The TBLTc just motors over everything and is forgiving. Highball is for racing, faster on less chunky and good for something different, but usually reach for TBLTc.

mtbr member
    I have ridden solstice, quarry on Burdell, 711, hitlers, and other gnarly rocky steep trails on the highball..
    props for doing quarry on a hardtail.

mtbr member
    OK - couple more questions. 100 or 120mm fork? Is there a better deal on lightweight wheels than the $595 Stan's Crest?

mtbr member

Def 120. I have a 32 fox ctd trail adjust 120 on mine and like it with the wide bars and short stem.

What do you weigh and what size tires you planning to use? Also, willl this be your only mtb and/or no full suspension for chunk? Depending on those I would get the 28h xc Chinese carbon wheels or the wider AM Chinese carbon for about the same price.

mtbr member
    I weigh 180. Was thinking about 2.25 Ra Ra or NN for general riding. I won't be doing to much gnar on this bike as I have a Nomad for that, but it's good to know it can handle it as I plan on doing longer rides on this bike for fitness, but with a lot of varied terrain, eg., up fireroad on mount tam, then hitting singletrack around top. Longer rides around back side of china camp also, where the nomad is a bit too much bike. Have you built up a set of the Chinese rims? That would be a good option.

mtbr member

Perfect. Just get the built up wheels with novatec hubs-for about $600 shipped. 1450 for xc and 1650 for AM. Good hubs and very stuff.

mtbr member
    Enjoy, it's a ripper. I ride AM on mine with a dropper
    with the curved seat tube, are there any issues with max. Insertion of post. I have a 400mm gravity dropper post I was planning on using, but not sure if it will fit?

mtbr member

I would be surprised if it was an issue-doubt your post will be in that much. I have my 125mm reverb (think 380 or 400) and my seat height on the xl frame is 30.5" from middle of crank axle to middle of rails in line with post-not anywhere close to the seat tube bend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    SC runs small. I just bought a tblta in xl. I am just a bit over 6'. I now think that my old blur lt was to small and it was a large. Might explain some of the handling issues. Test ride it and if it feels good go for it.