Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone 6' on a XL Highball (or similar)?

1K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  krd123 
#1 ·
So I am looking at getting a SC Highball as I can get a great deal on an XL - but only in XL. At 6', I normally ride a large frame, but was thinking the XL would be OK with a short stem.

Seat tube is 21.5", top tube is 25", standover 31.3", which all sounds slightly less than ideal, but basically fine.

So, for anyone 6' or 6"1' on an XL with similar geo, what do you think? Thanks.

#2 ·
So I am looking at getting a SC Highball as I can get a great deal on an XL - but only in XL. At 6', I normally ride a large frame, but was thinking the XL would be OK with a short stem.

Seat tube is 21.5", top tube is 25", standover 31.3", which all sounds slightly less than ideal, but basically fine.

I'm your size. I had an XL Tallboy carbon for about a year (also got a great deal on it because it was XL). It worked, but I couldn't get over the fact that it probably wasn't ideal. I eventually moved to a L Tallboy LTc. This was for pretty aggressive trail riding, though. For something more XC focused, it might be just right. Long story short, I think you will be able to ride the bike comfortably, no problem, but a more stretched out position will be your only option.

#4 ·

I was in the same boat as you ... could've gotten a really good deal on the XL but was worried it would be too big.

Anyway, ended up buying a large and I have to say, while I'm not sure if the XL would've been ok, the large fits me well.

Mine is aluminum, b/c I wanted to run it singlespeed, so even though it was a killer deal on the XL, the L "only" cost me about $300 more.

For me, it was worth the extra $$$ to make sure it was going to fit ...

SPP

#5 ·
Santa Cruz runs a little small. I am 6' and ride a large highball with a 70mm stem. With that set up it feels a little small, a 100mm stem feels better, but I dont like decending with a 100mm stem so I ride with the 70mm. I think a XL with a 50-70mm stem might work.

BTW, the highball is awesome, such a fast and fun bike.

#15 ·
I have ridden solstice, quarry on Burdell, 711, hitlers, and other gnarly rocky steep trails on the highball. Without dropper-uncomfortable. With dropper and beefy tires-fun, but just a little more challenging than TBLTc and slower on the technical chunky downs. The TBLTc just motors over everything and is forgiving. Highball is for racing, faster on less chunky and good for something different, but usually reach for TBLTc.

#18 ·
Def 120. I have a 32 fox ctd trail adjust 120 on mine and like it with the wide bars and short stem.

What do you weigh and what size tires you planning to use? Also, willl this be your only mtb and/or no full suspension for chunk? Depending on those I would get the 28h xc Chinese carbon wheels or the wider AM Chinese carbon for about the same price.

#19 ·
I weigh 180. Was thinking about 2.25 Ra Ra or NN for general riding. I won't be doing to much gnar on this bike as I have a Nomad for that, but it's good to know it can handle it as I plan on doing longer rides on this bike for fitness, but with a lot of varied terrain, eg., up fireroad on mount tam, then hitting singletrack around top. Longer rides around back side of china camp also, where the nomad is a bit too much bike. Have you built up a set of the Chinese rims? That would be a good option.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.