mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Anyone 58 or taller riding a small Horsethief?

Please post your height info and frame size your using.

This will be my first new bike in over 20 years and I want it to fit just right.

Im 58 and change, which puts me right in the middle of a small and med. Im getting mixed advice and there is no dealer nearby.

Hopefully, Ill get to saddle-up one at a dealer while on company travel this week but I would be very interested to see what others are comfortable with.

Thanks in advance.

Trail Junkie
    The Geo on the Horsethief is slightly different than the geo on the other Salsa bikes I have owned, but I'm 5'8'' nearly 5'9 and I felt that I fit much better on a small than a Med.

The numbers that I am looking at the indicate this..comparing the last Salsa I've owned was the Selma that has a 22.83" TT and 15.73" reach vs. the 23.3TT and 15.6" reach on the Horsethief. I was using a 90mm stem, neg. rise and low rise, low sweep bars and it was a perfect fit!

Now of course you could have longer arms or longer torso or both which would probably make you fit better on the medium, but as a norm, if you're inbetween sizes, its better to go smaller than bigger, and get the right size stem, or run a setback post to get the right fit. I think you'd be much too stretched on the Med. which may lead to lower back problems when pushing hard and climbing.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks, this was very helpful.. How about the shorter crank arms. Any issues there? Are you pleased with it?

Again, thanks for sharing that!!!

I