mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Anybody race xc with a Trek Mamba?

I've been riding my 2013 Trek Mamba since September and finally consider myself proficient enough for a race. I was wondering if anyone races xc with a mamba and if so did they upgrade it in any way specific for xc?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Good job!

I just got a 2013 Trek Mamba about two weeks ago, so I can't really comment too much on the nature of XC racing. However, because the Mamba has the same frame as "Trek XC 29er Race Hardtails" (Cobia, X-Caliber), I imagine the lower end components (fork, drivetrain, etc.) on the Mamba won't slow you down so much that you'd be uncompetitive--as long as you can make up for it in endurance and skill. I would however, invest upgrades that will make riding fast much more convenient, such as remote lockout for the fork, a tubeless rim/tire set, and a dropper seat post. Regardless of following responses, I plan on racing mine when I become proficient enough.

mtbr member

Re: Anybody race xc with a Trek Mamba?

I don't see an issue, I'm doing an xc race this weekend on my trek marlin. I've done some upgrades to it so forks are same as mamba, bb7 brakes, slx 2x10, wheelset, among other things. Though I'm not doing it to compete as much as fun and personal goal (im a clyde working on weight loss/getting healthy) but my marlin handles more than I'm comfortable riding at my skill but i keep coming out on the bike with all smiles. My upgrades (outside of forks cause marlin stock forks are ****). Where partially cause of my size and partially cause I have a problem of tinkering

So hell yes I'd ride a mamba for xc racing on a serious level.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Any comments on brakes? Tigris99--how are bb7s? Traxtion--do you have as many complaints with the Hayes brakes as everyone else does. They've worked great for me so far, but it's my first hydraulic system so I might just be behind the times.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The Hayes could definitely be better but to be honest I'll probably upgrade my drive train first. My biggest complaint is that they're a little slow to kick in but once they bite I haven't had any difficulties. If you do decide to upgrade shimano hydraulics used to be stock for the mamba and had decent reviews so I would look into those.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've definitely experienced the slow gear shifts as well. I haven't upgraded anything yet, and in hindsight, I am glad I didn't. I've been allocating my funds towards riding gear instead (knee pads, camelbak, etc.). Let me know if you do upgrade your DT though and if it was worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Traxtion View Post
    The Hayes could definitely be better but to be honest I'll probably upgrade my drive train first. My biggest complaint is that they're a little slow to kick in but once they bite I haven't had any difficulties. If you do decide to upgrade shimano hydraulics used to be stock for the mamba and had decent reviews so I would look into those.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a 2012 which I "race." I race the Xterra triathlons as well as the local races here I don't need a license for. Basically everything is the same from 2012 to 2013 except I think you got the model with a slightly lower end brakeset.

I'm alright considering I'm not the best technical rider but I am fit and am usually a lot stronger climber than most. Because of that I upgraded the wheelset and tires to run tubeless (went with bontrager rhythm comps and 29-3 tires) and shed some weight and that has made a huge difference. I'm definitely not as quick as some of the riders around here but I'm still competitive considering I train for different events than they do.