mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anybody here run the DT Swiss 470 29'r rim?

I am going to build up the wifey a bike; get this, she wants a single speed; she's seen me loving mine, and she said that one of the reasons that she always got frustrated biking was because of the gears, derailers, etc. We'll see how it goes! She runs about 150 (6' tall) and will not be doing any more than regular xc riding on well established single track. Wanted to know how these hold up and if they are easy to set up using Stan's!
    Thanks
    Folks

mtbr member
    I had those on my Stumpjumper 29er HT. Just wondering, why don't you get some Stan's rims for her since they supposedly work so well for tubeless? (mine haven't arrived yet).

My DT-S 470's are dead now, but no fault of the wheel. My buddy stepped on my spokes when he fell backwards on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, I weight 210lbs. They felt fine. I'd have no reservations using them for your wife's bike.

simple
    I use one and it has been flawless. Tubeless w/ Stan's strip has worked from day one.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid
    I am going to build up the wifey a bike; get this, she wants a single speed; she's seen me loving mine, and she said that one of the reasons that she always got frustrated biking was because of the gears, derailers, etc. We'll see how it goes! She runs about 150 (6' tall) and will not be doing any more than regular xc riding on well established single track. Wanted to know how these hold up and if they are easy to set up using Stan's!
    Thanks
    Folks
    Durability won't be a problem for her, but the DT rims are needlessly heavy and tubeless setup will be needlessly complex.

She'd be far better served with a set of Stans 355 rims.

Best of luck.

MC

55rpmasher
    The X470's weigh 470 grams. Hence the name. The 355's would be good for her as she is light. I have been running X470's for 2 seasons now and decided on these over the Arch's as they weigh the same and at the time were half the cost. I set them up tubeless easy with a rimstrip that was on my 355's, which is not the right one. I have not checked the retail on these lately but if they have not changed then the you need to ask is she a racer? Is light weight (60 grams a wheel) realy that important? I am 195 lb expert racer and ride hard. They ran straight until I bent the hanger in a race, broke a spoke, fixed all but the spoke and then raced for another hour. I have since replaced the spoke, trued the wheel and raced the wheel again on rooty stuff and it is all good. Oh yeah and no eyelets on rims is dumb. Unless you want to run brass nipples then there goes your 60 grams per wheel.