Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anybody go from full suspension to a hardtail?

Love my full squish bike but I only get in about 15-20 miles a week,have a 4 year old and live within walking distance of a paved greenway. I can buzz the greenway and get my cardio. I tried a road bike killed my hands and then tried 29er wheels with street tires on my nickel. It was ok but it was heavy and I'm thinking a light carbon hardtail around 20lbs would rip in the woods and on the greenway.

Just wondering how bad of a beating id take on the trails.

I live in florida so it's not really rooty but the tech stuff can be techy. But the trails are fast.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Well, my dad who's a trail rider on mostly single track went from an all mountain FS bike to a 23lb carbon hard-tail and completely smokes me on everything now. The hard-tails make a lot of difference in pedaling efficiency also and now as bouncy when pedaling. Overall, after riding a hardtail, I don't think I could ride a FS bike and like it.
    NorCal High-School XC
    2014 Giant XTC Composite 29er
    2012 Scott Scale Team 29er
    2013 Diamondback Podium 5

Warrior's Society
    Been riding FS for years.....these days I spend 85% of my riding time on my SS.

Still fun to get out on the Tallboy from time to time, but really enjoy the SS.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    After 6 FS bikes in 16 years, I decided to build up a HT last winter. Partly it was to try something new. And partly it was to be a gravel grinder. I started the spring on the trails, learning a new way to ride and enjoying it, although the first outing was pretty ugly - 3 endos, partly due to sorting out the cockpit and partly to getting used to that kick in the ass. With the heat and bugs of summer, I've been riding a lot of rail trails. I can cop some breeze and outrun the bugs. I like it. My RIP9 just sits. I rode it once on the trails and it in felt slow and clunky - of course it can eat chunk at speed like nobody's bizniz. The HT is just different, like all the ways you read about, and I'm enjoying it - both in the woods and on the rail trails. I'm running Bonty XR2s, a big tire with light tread. I'll probably get 2.35 Ikons next season.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yep, and don't regret it. Went from Kona hei hei, to a hard tail orbea alma, and recently picked up a rigid SS, that has become my new favorite bike. The Kona was 27lbs, the alma is 23, and the SS is just a hair under 20. The light bike really do go great in the woods.

I should be studying...
    I went from a Cannondale dual squish to a Castellano Softail to a giant XTC composite 29er hardtail which I now have converted to ss... next thing you know I'll be riding a full rigid. Seriously, It would be hard for me to go back to riding dual suspension unless I lived in a mountain state. Especially on the 29" platform.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Every time I ride my hardtail or rigid bike (it changes back and forth) on a real mtb ride, it makes me love my FS bikes even more!

But on a paved greenway, there is no joy or exhilaration to be found on an FS bike. In your position, I'd build up a hardtail, for sure, but I might go with a 120 fork to keep the love flowing a bit when you get a hall pass to head out for a full day on the trail with the boys!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Been riding FS for years.....these days I spend 85% of my riding time on my SS.

Still fun to get out on the Tallboy from time to time, but really enjoy the SS.
    ^^^this !

mtbr member
    I went from Full suss to Full Rigid SS and have not looked back.

SPP
    Rigid.

dvn
    mtbr member
    I have been riding my SS and Fat Bike a lot lately. When I get on my FS it feels soooo sluggish on the climbs! I hate the way the suspension soaks up half my input. On the other hand, FS sure is nice going down! We have a wide variety of terrain around here. Some where suspension is not needed at all and some where I wouldn't want to ride without it. I'm actually going to call Suspension Experts today and see if they can firm it up. It's due for a service anyway. If I rode in an area without a lot of technical terrain, I wouldn't hesitate to ride a hardtail exclusively.
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    I have a 26" FS Epic, and just built a carbon 29er HT. Living in GA we have a lot of XC trails with small drops, long climbs, roots and rocks. The HT does a great job pedaling up hill, the 29" wheels roll over roots and rock really well. The carbon frame absorbs much of the high frequency vibrations and components like the seat, bars, grips, and tires all work well to help smooth out the ride. After several rides my carbon HT is now my new favorite bike, however, I'm not selling my Epic anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OHtard View Post
    Yep, and don't regret it. Went from Kona hei hei, to a hard tail orbea alma, and recently picked up a rigid SS, that has become my new favorite bike. The Kona was 27lbs, the alma is 23, and the SS is just a hair under 20. The light bike really do go great in the woods.
    well ive never owned a FS but i just recently started riding and bought a '11 orbea alma h50 with some upgrades and i am loving every second of it

COTA member
    Yes. After 2.5 seasons on a Niner Jet 9 RDO I went to a S-Works Stump Jumper Carbon 29 XTR. Very pleased after I put a shorter stem and a flexi seat post on. Most of my rides have several thousand feet of climbing and the light hard tail makes that task much easier. Also like the shorter wheel base. Not saying I won't ever ride the RDO again, but for my riding style don't see the need for FS.

mtbr member
    Considering building up a Highball for my fireroad "fitness runs". 12-1500 ft of climbing in a a 30-40 min loop. Time depends on routes and occasional hiker traffic.

Weekdays only!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Consider keeping the FS, you never know when you will want it. Then since you have a small amount of time, Life, kids, work, etc. think about getting a Single Speed HT. I have both (STJ FSR 29 comp and Salsa SS) and its a nice mix. There are SS that are low in price, but high in value: Salsa, Specialized, Kona, etc.,.....

Single Speeds make the easy trails fun and hard work at first.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I sold my FS bike for a steel hardtail. I wasn't happy with the FS - too much maintenance, too flex, too much pedal bob. I'm loving the simplicity of a hardtail.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Go get a Walmart road bike for your green way cardio. It will cost you $99 and the larger tires and flat bar will soak up the bumps no problem. Just remove the kickstand and make sure everything is built correctly as the Walmart stockers who build it just don't care....
    700c Thruster Fixie Bike - Walmart.com
    It looks ridiculous in that green color, look for the black one. It's geared perfectly for Florida as well.

mtbr member
    Like others in this post I have both and I like my HT just fine and I can have fun on it anywhere, when it comes to longer rides on pavement to the trailhead or riding in wet weather its my bike of choice but here is nothing my HT does better than my FS, it doesn't climb, descend or handle any better than my FS and I have ridden them both on the same trails.
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've had several fully's and bought a Giant XTC adavanced and love it. I climbed aboard a friends fully and it felt so weird. It took a while to get used to it but it climbs so well. I put it in a harder gear on climbs and I take off. I looking for lines now rather than not paying attention. I am lovin' it. Do it. BTW, I'm an old fart at 46 years old so if I can do it, anyone can!

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Been rocking a Tallboy LTa for a while now. Prior to that, many other FS 29ers. Seriously thinking about a Canfield Bros Nimble 9 (the new steel one). All my parts should swap right over (even the Reverb post). Want to run it 1x10 with the option to go SS on occasion. What's stopping me? I know I'll love it!
    Can you hear me now?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    OP - based on your description of FL riding conditions....looks like a carbon race HT is the ticket.

I had an aluminum race HT that got down to 19 pounds, with Weight Weenie parts. It killed the trails, up and down. But remember, riding a HT you need to pick smooth lines or you get the crap beat outta you.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Went from an SX Trail to a 29er carbon hardtail with a 100mm fork. While I can't hit a seven foot drop anymore, I am having more fun now than I can remember. I also enjoyed lift served rides but only had an opportunity to do it a couple of times a year, so no big loss. I'm 47 years old and the hardtail doesn't beat me up at all. Like someone else said, I too have a flexi seat post and short stem to make it more comfortable and nimble. The bike can take a four foot drop without issue as long as the transition is decent. Single chainring up front helps keep the setup simple and light.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    I went from Full suss to Full Rigid SS and have not looked back.

SPP
    +1
    I ride the same trails as SPP...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iceaxe View Post
    Seriously, It would be hard for me to go back to riding dual suspension unless I lived in a mountain state. Especially on the 29" platform.
    Yup.

Unless you are looking to run through real technical stuff as fast as you can without having to worry much about the line you pick, doing trails with big drops/lots of features, or live in the mountains and love going straight down... A full suspension is overkill.

I am sure there is an exception to those rules, but it likely applies to most.

I just went from 26FS to 29 rigid SS. 26FS is up for sale. May pick up a 29FS for those few occasions where the above is encountered, though. But if I only could have one bike, it would be a 29er hardtail, fork and gears adjusted as necessary.

psycho cyclo addict
    I have one of each- FS, HT and rigid steel SS 29er's. Trails in my area vary from buff to very rocky and technical. Depending on where I am riding and what condition my somewhat temperamental back (from 30 years of soccer) are in, I choose a different steed. Sounds like a HT would be ideal for where the OP rides ...

I still prefer FS for endurance races and very rocky terrain and get plenty of time in on the SS as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast