mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Any viewpoints regarding the bike...Charge Cooker Hi Mountain??

I am pretty much stuck on the DB Comp 29er, especially since they dropped the price. However, by the price dropping on the bike I was watching, another bike jumped off the screen and it's called a Charge Cooker Hi Mountain. I looked on the review page and did not find it and I looked it up and all I could find was that it is a bike from the UK. For the listed price it seems to be a very good deal but for now, the wife seems ready to let me get the DB Comp for the sale price, but if I can come up with some good opinions, she may let me splurge and get a better bike. This is the link for the Charge Cooker.....

2013 Charge Cooker Hi Mountain Bike - Big Deals on 29" Wheels

Rogue Exterminator
    When you say DB Comp 29er, are you referring to the Overdrive Comp, Recoil Comp or some other model?

I had an Overdrive and although it had lower end components than the Comp, it always seemed cheap. The frame never seemed to be sturdy. Don't know what sale price you are referring to but either way, I would skip this bike.

Can't tell you much about the Charge Frame, but the components are a lot nicer on the Charge. Good fork, better brakes, better derailleurs, etc. In fact, that bike is specked out quite nicely for that price.

Another notable difference is frame material. Some people prefer steal, some aluminum but I don't think you can go wrong with either.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    When you say DB Comp 29er, are you referring to the Overdrive Comp, Recoil Comp or some other model?

I had an Overdrive and although it had lower end components than the Comp, it always seemed cheap. The frame never seemed to be sturdy. Don't know what sale price you are referring to but either way, I would skip this bike.

Can't tell you much about the Charge Frame, but the components are a lot nicer on the Charge. Good fork, better brakes, better derailleurs, etc. In fact, that bike is specked out quite nicely for that price.

Another notable difference is frame material. Some people prefer steal, some aluminum but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I am looking at the Overdrive Comp....it have the Sram X5 components

Rogue Exterminator
    Yeah, the Charge has X7, and Elixir 5's and a Rock Shox Recon also the rims are tubeless compatible.

The OD Comp has X5, and Elixir 1's and Rock Shox XC 32

Again, I don't know what the sale price of the Overdrive is to compare if the better components are on the Charge are worth the extra money but no matter what the price difference I won't have a good opinion of the frame. The MSRP of it is the same as the sale price of the charge. That being said, there is no comparison.

Also, what will you be riding?
    Seeing you are from La Mirada, I will guess you will be hitting some pretty fun stuff but if you plan on sticking to fire road and easy trails the DB will be fine. If you plan on hitting techy trails and hucking stuff, I wouldn't even consider it.

mtbr member
    Look into the Airborne Goblin. For a mere $300 more than that Charger you get a better fork and other components.
    Signature

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Look into the Airborne Goblin. For a mere $300 more than that Charger you get a better fork and other components.
    Agree but it is only $200 more.

Didn't suggest it though because it already sounds like he needs to get approval for the $1k

If you can't spend the $1k then look at the Airborne Guardian.
    Similar components to the Overdrive for only $599.

Airborne Bicycles

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Get the charge , nice steel frame , your azz will thank me. Pretty low risk deal given Performance's return policies also.

mtbr member
    I just bought the Cooker yesterday... I was looking at the Goblin and some bikes direct stuff but couldn't decide without riding any of them. So I went out to test what I could ride. Owning a 26 Stumpjumper I tried the comparably priced $1100 Rockhopper comp first, and as expected Specialized made a really nice bike. Than I went to the next closest shop and found this retro looking Cooker for $1200. The components were way better than the Hopper for about the same price, so I took it for a test. I freakin loved how it rode. Way more fun than my Stump or the new Hopper I just tried. I had to have it. I think the steel frame was a big part of what I liked, sure it was a good 4 lbs heavier than the aluminum Rockhopper, but once I was riding I didn't notice the weight. I did weigh it by the way - 30.2 lbs (large frame).

Here's a pic with it next to my old stumpjumper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any viewpoints regarding the bike...Charge Cooker Hi Mountain??-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am also torn between the Cooker Hi and Airborne Goblin... Would I see any differences between the 2 as far as riding techy trails with some rough stuff? I know the Goblin is considered 'XC'. I don't have a performance store in my area and obviously can't ride the Goblin before hand. Let me know if you guys have any opinions!

mtbr member
    I think what I liked the best (and what surprised me most) was the steel frame on the Cooker. It just seemed to increase the comfort leaps and bounds over what I had expected. The extra weight is a downside, but I really only noticed that when I picked it up, not while riding it. And it was really only heavier than the Specialized I was also looking at, I think the Goblin and Cooker are almost the exact same weight. So I think you would probably enjoy the Cooker in the rough stuff.

On the other side the Goblin does have a few better components for the same price.