mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Any thoughts on the Scalpel Alloy 4?

Finally got 5 posts....

Novice rider here returning after a year or two to single trail mountain biking. I ride mostly for fun and exercise.

Looking for a non top of the line FS 29er. The Scalpel 4 fits the budget but for the life of me, I can't find any write ups here. No one seems to be too interested in it so maybe I should go with the Scalpel 3 or move over to Specialized Epic or something?

The LBS has one but not in my size so I can't really try before I buy. There is also a local dealer for Spec but they don't have an Epic in my size either.

Any thoughts anyone?

mtbr member
    I've been riding my Alloy 4 for about a month and a half - absolutely love it. Quick, nimble and really smooth. No complaints at all with the RockShox fork or X - Fusion shock. Good solid package of components. I think it's a helluva good value for the price. Pick one up, you won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you for your response Bill.

I was going to get the 2012 Scalpel 4 as the LBS had a discounted price but....it wasn't my size. They are now unable to get it in my size so I have to look for one online. They can get the 2013 model but obviously not at the same price.

The other LBS sells Specialized and they have an Epic that seems to get more reviews than the Scalpel. They also don't have one my size and will only order one if i commit to buy.

Sooooo......I would go for either a Scalpel 4 or aSpecialized Epic whichever one I can find first at the right price.

mtbr member
    The one thing to note on Scalpel 4 compared to the Special Ed Epic, is that the Cdale is going to use a 1.5 stem and the fork has a 1.5 steerer tube. Not a big deal, but you'd be pretty limited to run that stock fork in any other frames other than a cannondle or the few frames that have a 1.5 headtube. There are very few options for stems that fit 1.5 steerers. Also, that fork is a 20mm t/a, which will be stiffer than a quick release.

Also, the Scalpel 4 is running a 3x10 and the Entry level Epic looks like it's running a 2x10. Also, looks like Epic will have a brain. Might mean a bit more maint and some people do not like them. I really do think the sram 2x10 cranks shift super fast. Both bikes will ride pretty nice. I like 2x10 better than 3x10, but you could just drop the big crank on the Scalpel. If I had to pick just of specs, I'd take the Epic just becasue its already set up with 2x10 and it has a more common steerer tube, if you can live with the brain.. The Scalpel is nice too though. Can't go wrong with either, both will ride nice.

Last edited by crclawn; 08-15-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you very much for the detailed comparisons crclawn.

I have a lot of studying to do because you've pointed out items that obviously need consideration. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about......so the learning begins now.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by crclawn View Post
    The one thing to note on Scalpel 4 compared to the Special Ed Epic, is that the Cdale is going to use a 1.5 stem and the fork has a 1.5 steerer tube. Not a big deal, but you'd be pretty limited to run that stock fork in any other frames other than a cannondle or the few frames that have a 1.5 headtube. There are very few options for stems that fit 1.5 steerers. Also, that fork is a 20mm t/a, which will be stiffer than a quick release.

Also, the Scalpel 4 is running a 3x10 and the Entry level Epic looks like it's running a 2x10. Also, looks like Epic will have a brain. Might mean a bit more maint and some people do not like them. I really do think the sram 2x10 cranks shift super fast. Both bikes will ride pretty nice. I like 2x10 better than 3x10, but you could just drop the big crank on the Scalpel. If I had to pick just of specs, I'd take the Epic just becasue its already set up with 2x10 and it has a more common steerer tube, if you can live with the brain.. The Scalpel is nice too though. Can't go wrong with either, both will ride nice.

Hmm.....I think I got it but to clarify....

Because of the steerer tube, the Cdale fork would be difficult to reuse or sell if I were to replace it, right?

I just saw pics of cranksets so I get the 2x10 vs 3x10. Is the 3x10 heavier so that the 2x10 is considered an upgrade?

I will do a search and see what the complaints are on the brain.

Thanks again for pointing these out.

mtbr member
    3x10 is heavier than 2x10 because of the big chain ring. It depends on they type of riding you do, IMHO 2x10 is better for the type of riding I do. Also, I ride shimnao and sram, sram crank shifts faster becasue it has more pick up points.

I think the fork would be harder to sell or reuse outside of a Cdale frame. Don't rule out the Cdale though, just pointing this out. Cdale makes some awsome frames and you can run any fork in Cdale, just add a headset reducer that is 1.5 for tapered or strait steerer.

Brain is good, just a little more maint and it's expensive. Lots of guys like them. Just point out the diff in the two bikes. Both bikes are a dream for your first one. Best of luck.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by crclawn View Post
    3x10 is heavier than 2x10 because of the big chain ring. It depends on they type of riding you do, IMHO 2x10 is better for the type of riding I do. Also, I ride shimnao and sram, sram crank shifts faster becasue it has more pick up points.

I think the fork would be harder to sell or reuse outside of a Cdale frame. Don't rule out the Cdale though, just pointing this out. Cdale makes some awsome frames and you can run any fork in Cdale, just add a headset reducer that is 1.5 for tapered or strait steerer.

Brain is good, just a little more maint and it's expensive. Lots of guys like them. Just point out the diff in the two bikes. Both bikes are a dream for your first one. Best of luck.
    This is helping me quite a bit. Again, your thoughts are much appreciated.