mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Any Ted Wojcik riders out there?

curious what sort of geometry you're riding, what your riding style is, what sort of trails you ride and what you think about your frame.

thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    dont hear much about TW anymore. LAst posts I recall were abouot 2-3 years ago about how he seemed to go quiet for a while, then emerged, and built a few bikes. Always had a rood rep but in general- pretty quiet on the TW front these days.....

mtbr member
    I used to see a guy riding at Graham Hills a lot on a pretty old TW bike ...

haven't seen him around in a few months, though.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Ted's still building! I just chatted with him a week or so ago via facebook. I think his Softrac 29er geometry is still on his web site (formerly called the Monkeybutt).

The Monkeybutt geometry was developed with input from Ted, other riders, and ridemonkey.com forum members hence the Monkeybutt moniker it had on it back then. I rode a couple of those bikes - even carried a couple as demos - and they were superb riding bikes. Do a search in this forum for details I'm sure you can find those threads on the black and red Monkeybutt and then the second Indigo Blue Monkeybutt I had for a while. That Indigo Blue bike is now being raced by an Xterra athlete and he's been more than stoked with it.

Ted will work with a customer to get the geometry and feel the rider is looking for - he's top notch peeps!

Cheers,

Mark

mtbr member
    here - I found the thread:

I love Monkey Butt

mtbr member
    Great guy and awesome builder. I have a Monkey Butt with some geo tweaks and a Wojcik rigid fork, It's a blast and the fit is spot on. I'm in the South East and wanted a singletrack machine for tight twisties and this bike just plain works well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    do you have any other 29ers and if so then how do they compare in ride characteristics to the TW?

thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    funny- i looked back at thread from march of 2008 and my response was still the same. Im nnot a TW hater at all but does not seem like many bies are coming out of TW land anymore. You need to decide if you want someone a bit more "active", despite his great rep and somewhat legend status for some people (me included), to build your ride. I weighed the options and simply decided not to call and look for someone who was accessable, known by a few more people, and who i knew would be around for a while in case something happened to the frame i was gonna drop that kind of coin on.

up to you.....

also- do you ride a 29er today? There are lots of choices out there......wondering why you are focused on TW specifically. Just thinking aloud. Did you see one and love it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa View Post
    I weighed the options and simply decided not to call and look for someone who was accessable, known by a few more people
    I've e-mailed Ted a few times and he's responded promptly, thoughtfully and thoroughly each time. I'd consider him very accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by jomissa View Post
    also- do you ride a 29er today? There are lots of choices out there......wondering why you are focused on TW specifically. Just thinking aloud. Did you see one and love it?
    Yes, I'm currently riding a 29er, Vicious Motivator. I focused on Ted because his work looks impeccable, his resume is awesome and I've never found a single negative statement about him.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

<-- multi TW rider

Hello,

I have been riding and racing TW bikes since my first one from him in 1996. That is a TW custom with AMP B-3 rear (since replaced with Yeti asr-sl). I also CURRENTLY ride the Soft-Trac hard tail that was built three years ago. If you want something that is an extension of you touching the trail, Ted is it. Only reason for the Yeti is because Ted didn't have a full suspension option I preferred for true XC. What he does offer is an amazing trail FS frame.
    Once you ride a Ted, you will wonder why you ever purchased anything else. It is a cult following with him and rare do you find a person willing to sell theirs.

Cheers.
    Shut Up and Ride.

Don't become a ghost bike, ride to be seen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    wonderful. very good to know. im sure he'll build you a killer rig!

mtbr member

X 2....

Quote Originally Posted by draudio2u View Post
    Hello,

I have been riding and racing TW bikes since my first one from him in 1996. That is a TW custom with AMP B-3 rear (since replaced with Yeti asr-sl). I also CURRENTLY ride the Soft-Trac hard tail that was built three years ago. If you want something that is an extension of you touching the trail, Ted is it. Only reason for the Yeti is because Ted didn't have a full suspension option I preferred for true XC. What he does offer is an amazing trail FS frame.
    Once you ride a Ted, you will wonder why you ever purchased anything else. It is a cult following with him and rare do you find a person willing to sell theirs.

Cheers.
    I just saw this, not on the forum much these days. I have a Ted that I purchased in July of 2006. I have owned (still own about 4) and ridden many bikes but nothing as telepathic as my Ted. During winters I ride my other bikes, all steel (one ti) 29ers with xc racing geometry. When spring through fall rolls around I pull out the Ted. It never ceases to amaze me how responsive, and nimble the bike is. How I can always take a tighter line around corners or how it does not lose composure when I am flying through rooty, rocky terrain. It just holds a line and does not let go. It's also very light (4.5) lbs for a 250 lb w/o gear rider like myself.
    Welds are invisible and the paint still looks good after all these years. I have converted my Ted to ss and soon will put a Willits W.O.W. steel fork on it. It's the one bike I will NEVER, EVER SELL.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER