RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Any experience on a Soma Wolverine?

Looking for a bike I can take on the road and gravel, along with throwing in some touring both on and off road. This looks like it has those bases covered, but would like to hear from those that have ridden one and what you would compare it to (also looking at Macho Disc and Salsa Vaya for same purposes). Thanks!

mtbr member
    You might want to try searching the Bikepacking, Commuting or Cyclocross forums. People that hang out in those places might have more experience with that style of bike.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Posted in the cx forum. No bites in 5 days so I figured I would check here. Ill keep fishing!

mtbr member
    It's a sweet bike. Looks like you'll have to get one and report back to the forum!

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So I'm going to be the Soma guinea pig....

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    So I'm going to be the Soma guinea pig....
    I can at least vouch for Soma in general, although not the Wolverine specifically. I have a Double Cross that has logged many miles all over the world, and the frame has been solid. I think Soma hits the price/performance value target better than almost anyone. The framesets are only slightly more expensive than Surly, but the tubing quality and build quality are arguably equal (or better) than Salsa.

The Vaya is a nice bike, but they aren't available new as framesets (if that is important to you), the tire clearance is substantially less than a Wolverine, and you lose the tensioning/belt-split option of the Wolverine dropouts.

A Specialized AWOL frameset is $100 higher than the Wolverine and commits you to a long TT / short stem geo. The Fargo commits you to a dirt-drop type of geometry that, imho, isn't appealing on the road. Personally I prefer the more conventional geo of the Vaya or Wolverine.

My sole complaint about the Wolverine: the sizing. Despite having 5 sizes, the increments in reach/stack dimensions are so small that the 5 sizes only cover the middle range of people sizes. Its also a bit short for my tastes: the stack of the largest (58cm) Wolverine is less than the stack of a 55cm Vaya and less than the XS size Fargo!

So as much as I love the Wolverine design, at 6'4" its unfortunately a categorical no for me.

A God Without A Name
    ^Did you know that with their newer runs of the Wolverine they intend to expand their sizing by a lot? the Wolverine was a home-run in sales for them. They intend to make a lot more of them!