mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Any Experience with the Groover 29?

Does anybody have any trail time with the Vicious Groover 29? I am thinking about as my next bike.

bike weenie
    I have one -

Really nice, efficient climber, and don't see too many others on the trail. Handled well in tight singletrack.

I actually plan to sell the frame - travel just was a little light (80mm front and rear) for me coming off a 5-spot. If you want something very efficient, with enough travel to take the edge off, it should do the trick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

rider
    The Groover is basically a steel version of the Asylum/Racer-X. Looks nice, lots of paint choices, cool builder, heavier than the other two.

SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Short TTs

I owned one and it was a fantastic bike - just too short for me - even the 21" (XL) had a 23 and 7/8" eff TT. The rear was VERY efficient. I'm very impressed with the RX rear as far as efficiency - felt more solid than my steel HT, but as said before its not by any means plush. And its heavy.

They do custom geo for a little mo cash.

bike weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone
    I owned one and it was a fantastic bike - just too short for me - even the 21" (XL) had a 23 and 7/8" eff TT. The rear was VERY efficient. I'm very impressed with the RX rear as far as efficiency - felt more solid than my steel HT, but as said before its not by any means plush. And its heavy.

They do custom geo for a little mo cash.
    Yep - mine was a custom XL with a 25" TT. I don't think they charged me extra.

In FTF We Trust
    I'll toss another picture of my bike up here. I came off a Sugar 293 with the Sybil link (100mm rear) and I think this bike is better balanced. It's a bit heavy, but you don't buy one of these to build up as a weight weenie. Mine is a large with a longer custom top tube (23.9"). I'm really satisfied with it, not much more to say.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    I am also thinking of getting one built real soon. They said it is a week wait.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Time to revive an older thread...

I finished building my Groover up last weekend - mostly the components came off of my 26er FS bike. Tonight I took it out on it's first ride. I think I'm going to like it.

It climbed really well, although the weight of the Rampage tires is noticable. Downhills were very nice too. I wasn't able to ride any rougher trails due to the sun setting earlier these days, so I've not much to report there yet. But the shake-down ride felt nice.

Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

In FTF We Trust
    Laffeaux, nice ride. Could you take a close-up pic. of the tire clearance in the rear end; in particular the chainstays. I can't believe you fit a Rampage on the back of that, clearance around the FastTrak on the back of mine is really tight. Oh, and since you've bought into the 29er thing I'd be glad to take a couple of those old, obsolete 26" bikes off your hands; the Bontragers and Ritcheys in particular. Just let me know, Southwest Montana is pretty close, I could be there in a matter of hours .
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

In FTF We Trust
    One more thing, it's hard to tell what your fork travel is set at, but if it's 80mm you might want to try it at 100mm eventually. That's how mine is set up and it's got a really good feel with the 100mm in the front.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Oh, and since you've bought into the 29er thing I'd be glad to take a couple of those old, obsolete 26" bikes off your hands; the Bontragers and Ritcheys in particular. Just let me know, Southwest Montana is pretty close, I could be there in a matter of hours .
    lol I've been swapping out my rigid 29er with the old beater 26ers for a couple of years. As much as I like the 29er, I'm not prepared to give up on my 26ers either. I appreciate the offer though.

I'll take a close up. There's not a lot of clearance.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

In FTF We Trust
    Well I had to ask.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Here's a picture of the clearance (or lack there of). If there's any mud involved, I'd not recommend it. But in the sandy soil of southwestern Idaho, there's plenty of clearance.

In FTF We Trust
    Hmm...I've got a pair of Specialized Resolutions that should be here by Friday. The plan was to run one on the front and keep the FastTrak on the rear, but I just may try both of them on the bike. Of course, the Delgado Disc rims spread out the tires quite a bit so a fatty tire may fit even better with some skinny rims. Maybe I'll try the King/Alex TD-17 wheels from the Stong on it too. Lots of food for thought.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    One more thing, it's hard to tell what your fork travel is set at, but if it's 80mm you might want to try it at 100mm eventually. That's how mine is set up and it's got a really good feel with the 100mm in the front.
    It's at 80mm right now. After I get a few rides in on it, maybe I'll bump it up to 100 to see how it feels.

How's the riding in Anaconda? I was through there for work about a year ago and it seemed like it would be a great place to ride. I'll be passing near there again late next month. I'll be in Helena for about a week. Unfortunately, with the short days, I'm not sure if I'll bother bringing a bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Awesome guys! Great to see other Vicious Cycles bikes!

I have a Groover 26" wheel in a stock XL sizing. However, I spend most of my time on my Motivator 29er SS.

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    How's the riding in Anaconda? I was through there for work about a year ago and it seemed like it would be a great place to ride. I'll be passing near there again late next month. I'll be in Helena for about a week. Unfortunately, with the short days, I'm not sure if I'll bother bringing a bike.
    The riding around Anaconda is pretty good; mostly fire-roads and four-wheeler trails, very little singletrack. There is some nice riding around Butte (25 miles east) on sections of the Great Divide Trail. Helena has developed a really nice trail system on both Mount Sentinel and Mount Helena. Mid-to-late October can get pretty sketchy around here weather-wise and it's going to be getting dark pretty early soon so it might not be worth taking a bike. A friend and I took a trip to Sun Valley in min-October last year and it was a blast but it was pretty darn cold. If you have to be in this neighborhood any time in the late Spring or Summer hit me up and we can go ride.