Results 1 to 94 of 94
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    510

    Any bets that Lance is on a 29er this year at Leadville

    Now that there is a racing 29er with a Trek Logo i'm thinking he'll hop on the Trek Superfly.?
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    760
    Is it confirmed that Lance is racing at Leadville this year?
    If the Superfly dons the Trek label and he's there then have to believe he will be on one. Leadville in particular is perfect for a 29er...a roadbike race on the dirt.
    No doubt he is still licking his wounds after the TdF however...emotionally at least since his least favorite racer won the race again. Hard to give up that glory it seems.

  3. #3
    At Work
    Reputation: sxr-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,668
    Would not surprise me.
    TREK EX9 27.5

    NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

    2009 Gary Fisher Rig

  4. #4
    Newt Guy
    Reputation: FrostyStruthers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider7
    Leadville in particular is perfect for a 29er.
    HA! That is pretty funny.

    RIDING in particular is perfect for a 29er.

    Yes, steel is most certainly stronger than aluminum EVERY time.
    ~Frosty Struthers

  5. #5
    Superflying on Haven
    Reputation: Menzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    638
    Rumors say he'll be riding this bike...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any bets that Lance is on a 29er this year at Leadville-bionx-bike.jpg  


  6. #6
    In FTF We Trust
    Reputation: el-cid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,819
    Didn't he test both 26" and 29" bikes and decide on the 26" last year? I'm pretty sure he would've been able to ride the bike he was most comfortable and faster on.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

    Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

  7. #7
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Menzo
    Rumors say he'll be riding this bike...



    I think Lance puts out more power .

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    510
    Lance is in D-Town with the Governer for a press conf. So That tells me he has already been riding at altitude for the race.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

  9. #9
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,484
    Quote Originally Posted by 29or6to4
    Lance is in D-Town with the Governer for a press conf. So That tells me he has already been riding at altitude for the race.
    But doesn't he have a house in Aspen now?

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    510
    yep his training grounds
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    30

    He is racing

    The Leadville site has him signed up for the race.

    http://www.leadvilletrail100.com/lt1...rantsList.aspx

    I think he will be on a 29er from Bikesdirect!

    Gall

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    103
    JHK is signed up. Should be interesting.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 1-bar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,466
    Lance is clearly the favorite if he attends. His level of training and conditioning mixed with competitions like the Tour De France most likely exceed any level of training that most mtb pros do. Perhaps if the course was shorter, other mtb pros might have a greater chance of keeping up.
    2017 Spec Epic Expert WC
    2016 Trek Superfly SS (32x21)

  14. #14
    Bicycle Addict
    Reputation: J3SSEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,298
    I''m gonna win it! Who's Lance?
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,822
    "This month is one month you wanted to lay low," Armstrong said. "It ends up I'm pretty slammed with some commitments."

    He told the AP he's also leaning toward riding again in the lung-searing Leadville 100 mountain bike race on Aug. 14, the nation's highest-altitude endurance test that he won in record time last year.

    "I just had my first ride on dirt in about a year," Armstrong said Tuesday. "So, it's just trying to get my mountain bike skills back. The other key is altitude. Almost the whole race is above 10,000 feet. I have to make sure I spend enough time in the mountains before I go out.

    "I suspect I'll be there."


  16. #16
    What It Be ?
    Reputation: ChrisJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    888
    I hope Bishop or Todd Wells bring there A game. Lance is a pansy......

  17. #17
    At Work
    Reputation: sxr-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,668
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ
    I hope Bishop or Todd Wells bring there A game. Lance is a pansy......
    2 questions.


    1. Are You Racing in the Leadville?

    2. Could you hand Lance his ass on a platter on the race course (could you beat him?)



    If you answered 1 & 2 with no then STFU!!!!!!!!!!!

    If you answered 1 yes then good luck and I wish you the best of luck.

    If you answered 2 with Yes then I am going to call BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    TREK EX9 27.5

    NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

    2009 Gary Fisher Rig

  18. #18
    Pimpmobile
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    487
    Someone's e-Panties must be in a big wad to be calling Lance a pansy!
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

  19. #19
    What It Be ?
    Reputation: ChrisJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    888
    2 questions.


    1. Are You Racing in the Leadville?

    2. Could you hand Lance his ass on a platter on the race course (could you beat him?)



    If you answered 1 & 2 with no then STFU!!!!!!!!!!!

    If you answered 1 yes then good luck and I wish you the best of luck.

    If you answered 2 with Yes then I am going to call BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nope no plans to race the road race high up in Colorado. Brec100 one day. Not a Lance fan. He did alot to bring people out for Leadville. But compared to the W101 or the SM100 its nontechincal. Yes elevation is a factor, still a roadie style 100.

    Harlan price knocked off Floyd Landis at the SM100 a few years ago.

    So take a second step back and calm down. Just stating my opinion dude.

  20. #20
    At Work
    Reputation: sxr-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,668
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ
    Nope no plans to race the road race high up in Colorado. Brec100 one day. Not a Lance fan. He did alot to bring people out for Leadville. But compared to the W101 or the SM100 its nontechincal. Yes elevation is a factor, still a roadie style 100.

    Harlan price knocked off Floyd Landis at the SM100 a few years ago.

    So take a second step back and calm down. Just stating my opinion dude.
    Just messing with you. All in fun.
    TREK EX9 27.5

    NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

    2009 Gary Fisher Rig

  21. #21
    What It Be ?
    Reputation: ChrisJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    888
    So take a second step back and calm down. Just stating my opinion dude.
    Did you not read this? Or are you so in love with Lance your blind to anything not including his name?

  22. #22
    At Work
    Reputation: sxr-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,668
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer
    Just messing with you. All in fun.
    I will see your response and raise you one with...........

    "Just messing with you. All in fun"

    Did ya happen to read that?
    TREK EX9 27.5

    NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

    2009 Gary Fisher Rig

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    769
    If Contador or Schleck shows up then Lance is in big trouble. Not to mention the whole grassroots aura of the race.

  24. #24
    42t
    42t is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    43

    As for what bike he'll ride...

    ...it all depends on what Trek's making an effort to sell through his participation. It really is that simple.

  25. #25
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    Vegas says 2:1, j/k.

  26. #26
    At Work
    Reputation: sxr-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,668
    I was wanting Schleck to upset Contador......... Next year.
    TREK EX9 27.5

    NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

    2009 Gary Fisher Rig

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ
    I hope Bishop or Todd Wells bring there A game. Lance is a pansy......
    Don't really care about Lance one way or the other but Wells says his WC training (1 1/2 hour events once a month as opposed 5 hour days for three weeks) isn't very well suited for Leadville. At least thats how he sees it.
    Last edited by reydin; 08-04-2010 at 02:02 PM.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

  28. #28
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,068
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer
    I was wanting Schleck to upset Contador......... Next year.
    Worked out nicely for Specialized either way huh ? Now if they could just get Contador to do the leadville on an epic 29er....

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 1-bar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,466
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    Worked out nicely for Specialized either way huh ? Now if they could just get Contador to do the leadville on an epic 29er....
    That would be an epic race if Contador came out or any other superstar roadie to challenge Armstrong. Eitherway it is great publicity for mountain biking.
    2017 Spec Epic Expert WC
    2016 Trek Superfly SS (32x21)

  30. #30
    Freelance Whatever
    Reputation: chowdownca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    210

    Will he be riding the new Trek?

    You know, the one with the auto inflate tires? Or will there be support stationed in the brush along the course to jump out and help him swap out the wheels. Maybe he took some notes on the cobbles. Won't matter much when JHK flies by, though...
    What I do for a living doesn't define me....

  31. #31
    At Work
    Reputation: sxr-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,668
    That is true. Specialized came out the winner either way!!!!!!!!!

    I just like the underdog. Schleck does not seem like the arrogant racer that you see alot of sometimes. Contador is a hell of a racer. His out of the saddle charges were impressive as hell.
    TREK EX9 27.5

    NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

    2009 Gary Fisher Rig

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    126
    What Lance will be riding at Leadville


  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,306
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar
    That would be an epic race if Contador came out or any other superstar roadie to challenge Armstrong. Eitherway it is great publicity for mountain biking.
    Do you think that Roberto Hera's is racing the endurance mtb races for fun? He wants another chance at Lance, it is just that be cannot seem to get into Leadville via the lottery ( or perhaps in my mind anyway . . . .).
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkirkpatri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,548
    Good thread already going on in the Endurance forum. Bit more informed too, if anybody's interested in some details.

  35. #35
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,355
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri
    Good thread already going on in the Endurance forum. Bit more informed too, if anybody's interested in some details.
    Thanks.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gmtx77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by lowestgear
    What Lance will be riding at Leadville

    Pure Greatness...

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vecsus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,812
    While I respect Lance and his accomplishments, until he wins a real mountain bike race (meaning something with a bunch of technical single track) then he's just a roadie with knobby tires.

    I never bought into the whole cult of Lance anyway. Seeing legions of yellow and black clad livestrong wannabe's on local rail-trails is amusing.
    Vecsus

    HTFU or STFU

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    261
    How much singletrack does Leadville even have? I heard that it was like a road race the year Lance beat Wiens...

    High Cascade 100 might not have the altitude or glamour of Leadville but it looks like more of a 'real' MTB course. Brutal, actually. (not that I could do either one).

    Lance should race a Tallboy painted over with Trek decals, like he did with his old Litespeed TT bike.

  39. #39
    In FTF We Trust
    Reputation: el-cid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,819
    High Cascade? Heck, IMO the most brutal endurance/100 mile race is the Butte 100. 100 (actually 106) miles on the Continental Divide Trail of brutal racing mixed with some serious stormlets this year gave Tinker Juarez a helluva workout (and a 3rd place finish)...
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

    Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Soupboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,048
    All the Lance-hating is funny including the (swear adjective) talk about L100 vs. whatever (swear adjective) race XYZ.

    Describe a single (swear adjective) "XC/Endurance" MTB race course that is so overwhelmingly "gnar" as to be entirely unlike the L100. Most pros still ride HTs with 80mm forks on lockout in serious professional "mtb" races. (Swear verb), look at the bikes the Great Divide riders use - SS, rigid, HT w' susser fork, drop bars, etc.

    Lance haters seem to fall into two categories: i) self-loathing (swear nouns), or ii) jealous, wannabe (swear noun) suckers.

    I believe the alleged should be remain innocent until proven guilty. If he's shamed like Floyd, et al, before him it will be (swear adjective) pathetic and disgusting and I will be the first to burn him in effigy. Unless and until, however, all the haters can suck a big, girthy, sweaty, equine-esque (swear noun).
    Professional Amateur

  41. #41
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,089
    The Tour-Down-Under (roadie stuff) , Lance brings his team down and rides as a practice training/race publicity stunt , the South Australian Government pays him millions ...i believe the figure was above 4 million not including sweetners for "Lance" and his team to compete in the TDU. It brought 5 times that to the state in revenue....

    I have never swung my hairy leg over a roadie in my life EVER ..... but the man is a legend in the sport and the biggest crowd puller in cycling ever . BTW Im ALWAYS the first to bash roadies for everything possible
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JohnnyG 1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by lowestgear
    What Lance will be riding at Leadville

    BRO PRICELESS !!!!!
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

  43. #43
    Sup
    Reputation: Burnt-Orange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,696
    what if they will make a movie about it
    ever thing of that
    I am slow therefore I am

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    540
    Lance will ride whatever the cool bike of the hour is @ Trek. Probably will be a 29er, but something tells me the bike doesn't win the race.

    As far as doping... he's never officially tested positive. However, during his reign, he might be the only top-5 rider not to test positive. So, even though I'd like to think he was 100% clean. I think the odds are that his money kept things quiet. And, his persona and ability to draw a crowd forced the overlords to look the other way. And... Lance quit cycling for a few years when the UCI reformed their testing standards. Interesting timing.

    I'm a fan of his accoplishments. I am in awe of his charity work. But, I think most people feel the guy was doped up.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    While I respect Lance and his accomplishments, until he wins a real mountain bike race (meaning something with a bunch of technical single track) then he's just a roadie with knobby tires.
    Lance has been racing dirt in Texas off and on since 1995 that I know of as I have seen him at races. Not every race he enters gets national media attention. I guess you don't know Texas race courses (we have technical singletrack) as well.

  46. #46
    Teen Wolf
    Reputation: cr45h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    All the Lance-hating is funny including the (swear adjective) talk about L100 vs. whatever (swear adjective) race XYZ.

    Describe a single (swear adjective) "XC/Endurance" MTB race course that is so overwhelmingly "gnar" as to be entirely unlike the L100. Most pros still ride HTs with 80mm forks on lockout in serious professional "mtb" races. (Swear verb), look at the bikes the Great Divide riders use - SS, rigid, HT w' susser fork, drop bars, etc.

    Lance haters seem to fall into two categories: i) self-loathing (swear nouns), or ii) jealous, wannabe (swear noun) suckers.

    I believe the alleged should be remain innocent until proven guilty. If he's shamed like Floyd, et al, before him it will be (swear adjective) pathetic and disgusting and I will be the first to burn him in effigy. Unless and until, however, all the haters can suck a big, girthy, sweaty, equine-esque (swear noun).
    beautiful

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eric_syd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    369
    Any bets that Lance is on a 29er this year at Leadville
    Won't he be before a grand jury by then ?


  48. #48
    At Work
    Reputation: sxr-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,668
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsteven
    Lance has been racing dirt in Texas off and on since 1995 that I know of as I have seen him at races. Not every race he enters gets national media attention. I guess you don't know Texas race courses (we have technical singletrack) as well.
    I remember him entering some of the Norba National events years ago. cannot remember how he placed.

    Dirt is not a foreign object to him.
    TREK EX9 27.5

    NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

    2009 Gary Fisher Rig

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    59
    Back to the OP's question...

    There's pictures of Lance on a Superfly from a few years back. Who knows if he'll be riding one for this race. Either way, I'm sure he can throw down on any bike he's on. Apparently he was testing the Superfly and the Trek in '08 in preparation for Leadville. Story here.

  50. #50
    Super Ginger
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    117
    I wonder what Levi is going to ride. It shows him registered for the race.
    2013 Jamis XCT 650b Pro
    2015 Merckx Mourenx 69
    2017 Orbea OIZ M20

  51. #51
    Sup
    Reputation: Burnt-Orange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,696
    you know you want them
    Last edited by Burnt-Orange; 08-27-2011 at 10:10 PM.
    I am slow therefore I am

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tamen00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,025
    I think Lance has better skills than you guys all give him credit for... he won the CO state mountain bike championship race alst year and that course was supposed to be pretty technical, and it appears that he beat several top MTB pros in that race as well...

    http://www.bikeworldnews.com/2009/08...championships/

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    126
    Those of you that have actually raced a road bike in European road races know that the bike handling skills required are at least equal to cross country mountain bike racing. Some of the "roads" I've raced on over there are rougher than a typical cyclocross course. Narrow goat paths with a couple hundred guys on skinny tires in the rain all trying to be first through the next corner... Wet muddy cow poop covered pave (cobblestones) on skinny tires? Man that's as hard to stay upright on as any single track in any XC race. If you think roadies are lame, go race in Belgium and report back. Respect.

  54. #54
    don't try this at home
    Reputation: moschika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,601
    Quote Originally Posted by brandykill
    I wonder what Levi is going to ride. It shows him registered for the race.
    we was riding a 26er at the local dirt crit last night. wasn't there but saw a couple pics. not saying that's what he's gonna ride at leadville, but just what he's most recently riding.
    will you rep me?

  55. #55
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,036
    from lance's twitter:

    Tested my new @TrekBikes 29'er today. Smuggler, 4 corners, lenado, and back. That is one helluva bike.

    continue speculating
    Try this: HTFU

  56. #56
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,792
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ
    Yes elevation is a factor, still a roadie style 100. .
    If so, then why do you hope that "Bishop or Todd Wells bring their A game"???

    Lance is a pansy that beat Weins...right? Is Wein's a pansy?

  57. #57
    Complete Bastard
    Reputation: mward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,282
    Maybe he likes watching pansies duke it out.

  58. #58
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,484
    Quote Originally Posted by lowestgear
    Those of you that have actually raced a road bike in European road races know that the bike handling skills required are at least equal to cross country mountain bike racing. Some of the "roads" I've raced on over there are rougher than a typical cyclocross course. Narrow goat paths with a couple hundred guys on skinny tires in the rain all trying to be first through the next corner... Wet muddy cow poop covered pave (cobblestones) on skinny tires? Man that's as hard to stay upright on as any single track in any XC race. If you think roadies are lame, go race in Belgium and report back. Respect.
    Yup, I think too many folks on here mistakenly assume that the local road racers they've seen try riding off road are representative of all road racers.
    Not just the poor road surfaces, but the reaction times required to stay upright in a lot of pack situations.
    Unfortunately, sometimes there are slow-mo clips shown from pro races that make a rider seem clumsy and not a solid bike handler, but they don't take into account speeds and fatigue.
    Besides, I've lined up with LA at a local endurance race (Miles of DisComfort,) and it's not walk in the park. Rocky, fairly technical, and he did just fine on the rough stuff.
    I'd have to say no to the pansy title.

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  59. #59
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,742

    A few divisions

    First, the natural dvision. Second, the master's division. Lance could really only ride in one of those divisions. Hmm.

    He likes 26" bike because that is what he always chooses. I know, he is obviously mistaken because everyone knows 29ers do everything better then 26er. Someone send the email to Lance

  60. #60
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    First, the natural dvision. Second, the master's division. Lance could really only ride in one of those divisions. Hmm.

    He likes 26" bike because that is what he always chooses. I know, he is obviously mistaken because everyone knows 29ers do everything better then 26er. Someone send the email to Lance
    Lance has some problems right now as investigators circle the wagon's on him. It should be in interesting. I believe all those Tour guys are using something to power them on such a crazy bike race.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    521
    Hell yea he will be racing it.
    He wanted to race it but last year but could not be on a Fisher. So, they revamped everything so "Trek" had a 29er for him to race.

  62. #62
    Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Reputation: Phishin Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ
    I hope Bishop or Todd Wells bring there A game. Lance is a pansy......
    Bishop is sick. He showed up this year to Vision Quest without lights, never seen the course, and beats Tinker by over 20 minutes and crushes old best by 20 minutes. While it does not have the altitude of LV it is a very grueling course with 11,000 feet climbing in 56 miles.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    493
    Yeah, that sounds about right, Trek revamps their entire global marketing strategy so Lance can ride a 29er Trek at Leadville.

    Makes sense

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    962

    Next to NO singletrack @ LV 100

    Quote Originally Posted by lil'stink
    How much singletrack does Leadville even have? I heard that it was like a road race the year Lance beat Wiens...

    High Cascade 100 might not have the altitude or glamour of Leadville but it looks like more of a 'real' MTB course. Brutal, actually. (not that I could do either one).

    Lance should race a Tallboy painted over with Trek decals, like he did with his old Litespeed TT bike.
    LV 100 has very little singletrack which is why it's also been called "The 100 Miles of No Singletrack Race",,,,,,,,,,I haven't been on the course in 10 years and I believe they did add a bit of singletrack close to the beginning of the race a few years back,,,,,,more recent racers can advise. The elevation is cruel and the pace furious but IMO it is truly one of the most overrated races in MTB.

  65. #65
    Teen Wolf
    Reputation: cr45h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle
    Yeah, that sounds about right, Trek revamps their entire global marketing strategy so Lance can ride a 29er Trek at Leadville.

    Makes sense
    lmfao!!!!!

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    All the Lance-hating is funny including the (swear adjective) talk about L100 vs. whatever (swear adjective) race XYZ.

    Describe a single (swear adjective) "XC/Endurance" MTB race course that is so overwhelmingly "gnar" as to be entirely unlike the L100. Most pros still ride HTs with 80mm forks on lockout in serious professional "mtb" races. (Swear verb), look at the bikes the Great Divide riders use - SS, rigid, HT w' susser fork, drop bars, etc.

    Lance haters seem to fall into two categories: i) self-loathing (swear nouns), or ii) jealous, wannabe (swear noun) suckers.

    I believe the alleged should be remain innocent until proven guilty. If he's shamed like Floyd, et al, before him it will be (swear adjective) pathetic and disgusting and I will be the first to burn him in effigy. Unless and until, however, all the haters can suck a big, girthy, sweaty, equine-esque (swear noun).
    Don't forget the 3rd category of Lance haters: Those that can see what an arrogant, self obsessed, cheating (in racing and in his personal life) hypocrite he is. Yeah, he should remain innocent until proven guilty. But one must be quite naieve and blinded by childish sports hero worship to truly believe he didn't dope.

  67. #67
    Complete Bastard
    Reputation: mward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,282
    Floyd, I thought you were out of town.

    Quote Originally Posted by lil'stink
    Don't forget the 3rd category of Lance haters: Those that can see what an arrogant, self obsessed, cheating (in racing and in his personal life) hypocrite he is. Yeah, he should remain innocent until proven guilty. But one must be quite naieve and blinded by childish sports hero worship to truly believe he didn't dope.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    I think Lance has better skills than you guys all give him credit for... he won the CO state mountain bike championship race alst year and that course was supposed to be pretty technical, and it appears that he beat several top MTB pros in that race as well...

    http://www.bikeworldnews.com/2009/08...championships/
    Actually, there really weren't any "top-pros" in the that race (since it was a CO only championship)

    But, I've always loved the roadie-mountain debate and totally respect what Lance can do on a bike and what he has done for cycling. I don't road ride (I do commute though) so I enjoy picking on my roadie buddies, but the truth is, my cycling/fitness would improve a bunch if I started riding road too.

    Did any of you see the "roadie vs. dirty" in Mountain Bike Action magazine awhile back. They pit Andy Shleck vs. Burry Stander...Burry buried him!

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,800
    Did they do the Crested Butte chainless downhill race?

    If they did that, I bet Schleck would have beat Burry by at least 39 seconds.

  70. #70
    At Work
    Reputation: sxr-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,668
    Lol. That was so wrong!!!!!
    TREK EX9 27.5

    NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

    2009 Gary Fisher Rig

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    367
    Will Alphonse be there with Lance?
    LS

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    30
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d=127009645933

    Yeah I say he is riding a 29er this year!

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    30
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d=127009645933

    Picture #10

    Yeah I say he is riding a 29er this year.

    Go Lance!

  74. #74
    Squalor
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,576
    New proposed rule for MTBR:

    No posting opinions about a race course unless you've raced it and finished.

    That should quiet this place down a bit.

    LP

  75. #75
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by lanpope
    New proposed rule for MTBR:

    No posting opinions about a race course unless you've raced it and finished.

    That should quiet this place down a bit.

    LP



    I would not even mind hearing from those that haven't finished the course , there is much that can be learned from everyone that has been there . My two cents .

  76. #76
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,837
    Quote Originally Posted by 29or6to4
    Now that there is a racing 29er with a Trek Logo i'm thinking he'll hop on the Trek Superfly.?
    I say 29.

    And just have to chime in and say you have the greatest avatar ever.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: murtaghstyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by brandykill
    I wonder what Levi is going to ride. It shows him registered for the race.
    This is my guess

    http://forums.mtbr.com/**************/i/32gO

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    512
    have you guys seen this video. it was from august 7th. lance and JHK training together. lance on superfly and JHK on superfly 100

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kADiz...layer_embedded

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,060
    You wanna know what LA will be ridding at Leadville? I'll tell ya what he's ridding.......nothin! thats what he's ridding, check it out here http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...adville_134059 , don't know if it's a 26er or a 29er nothin but there you have it.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    249
    that's too bad because i wanted to see how the g2 geo handled when lance did his climbs. what other racer should i look out for who is riding a fisher 29er?

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by common_man
    that's too bad because i wanted to see how the g2 geo handled when lance did his climbs. what other racer should i look out for who is riding a fisher 29er?
    JHK
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    126
    Lance Armstrong withdraws from 2010 Leadville

    http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...adville_134059

    *** Be sure to check out the comments below the article which are suitable for cut'n'pasting into this thread. It would seem it's open season on old Lance now that he's out to pasture and an easy slow moving target

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: murtaghstyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by reydin
    JHK
    And Todd Wells

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by murtaghstyle
    And Todd Wells
    29er yes, Trek/Fisher/G2 no. Wells rides for Specialized.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    126

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: murtaghstyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by reydin
    29er yes, Trek/Fisher/G2 no. Wells rides for Specialized.
    Ah - missed the Fisher part

    I also always mix up Wells and Sam Shultz who does ride for Subaru-Trek (but does not appear to be racing Leadville).

  87. #87
    I make pants
    Reputation: JoshPants's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    12
    Here are a few shots of the "Trek Superfly" he was on last weekend in Steamboat:












  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    94

    front shock

    why the switch to a reba front fork over the stock fox

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation: juan_speeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,299
    Quote Originally Posted by markaz
    why the switch to a reba front fork over the stock fox
    LA is financially invested in SRAM.

    SRAM makes Rockshox.
    Supply Side Jesusnomisist

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder
    LA is financially invested in SRAM.

    SRAM makes Rockshox.
    SRAM sponsors the Trek/Fisher team and has done so well before LA bought into SRAM, all the team bikes that JHK, Sam Schultz, Willow Koerber, and Heather Irmigr are set up with Rebas so I can't say for sure if it's a team setup thing of a financial setup thing. Probably a little of both.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    94

    front fork

    I would assume that change would make the bike ride different, because the Reba does not have a 51mm off set

  92. #92
    Front Range Cyclist
    Reputation: juansevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by markaz
    I would assume that change would make the bike ride different, because the Reba does not have a 51mm off set
    That is if you assume they don't make one. And well, I have one in my hand that is 51mm offset
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

    Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

  93. #93
    No longer 26
    Reputation: G-Live's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,087
    Quote Originally Posted by juansevo
    That is if you assume they don't make one. And well, I have one in my hand that is 51mm offset

    I know the team had been running the std 46mm offset fork. Not sure if they have changed that for this year, or are going to change. I think the 0'11 GFSig line has some G2 Rebas in it. Not sure if they were readily available prior.

    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

  94. #94
    Front Range Cyclist
    Reputation: juansevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    I know the team had been running the std 46mm offset fork. Not sure if they have changed that for this year, or are going to change. I think the 0'11 GFSig line has some G2 Rebas in it. Not sure if they were readily available prior.

    G
    Let's just say there were around in February I'd be surprised if some of the team hasn't been running them. It's well known now the 51mm exists, but 6 months ago it was hush hush.
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

    Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •