Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

New question here. Any 29er Riders Using Spinergy Xyclone Disk Wheels?

I've been thinking about a set of these for a 29er. I read the reviews, but wanted to see if there's anyone who has anything else or pics to add...Especially pics of the white spoked model. Thanks

http://www.spinergy.com/catalog/prod...products_id=86
    Visit my Photography Website
    http://www.wanderlustgalleries.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I don't have any experience with these to tell you about....but from years ago when Spinergy was big in the tri-geek world, and for a year or two in MTB, yes their wheelsets were light, had a nice feel with PBO straight pull spokes, but replacing or even purchasing a single spoke was a nightmare if the need came up. Wait for some more posts in making your choice.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You get extra spokes with each wheelset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    ive been running them for a little over a year now. Im 6'2" 210 naked. First they were on my Jet9 now there on my Rip9. I dont baby them. Drops jumps etc. Traditionally I ride light, but honestly I havent given these any special care. They absorb loads of vibration without feeling overly squishy. As a side note, I run them tubeless (rampage SB8) and after the initial seating theyve been flawless. I guess they could be 200g lighter, but for the money, theyre a VERY strong contender. HTH

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i too am running them on my rip 9. 6'2" 240 nekkid and the are a bit flexy in the rear for someone my size. otherwise they have held up EXTREMELY well considering the pounding they get 3 times a week! i have ridden them in a 24 hour race and a 6 hour race in the last 6 months and the only issue thus far is that the rear hub had to be tightened after last weekends mudfest of a 6 hour race. i have taken out one chunk on the rear on an avalanche of baby heads created by someone eating it uphill from me. I have the red spokes and it looks KILLER on the raw rip 9 frame...

29 TO LIFE

Get Them!

I've been running them for about a year now and I weigh 230 lbs. I have them on my Jabberwocky. Not a single problem with them. The combination of steel frame and carbon spokes is amazing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the info. I'm 190 with gear. I bought the 2nd to last pair of white spoke 29er wheels on ebay for $529.00 with free shipping. There should be one pair of whites left and some blacks too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have been running mine for about 18 months in lots of rocky mountain rocks, Tennessee roots, Florida limestone and sand and so far they're straight, true and un-dung. Kinda heavy, but no failures yet. Tubed.

Oh and mine did not come with spare spokes and were bought new from a dealer off of eBay.
    Last edited by kardy; 02-18-2010 at 09:07 AM.

29 TO LIFE

Get Them!

I converted mine to tubless using the Stans kit without a problem. I am running the standard Geax Sugaro 2.2 tires. I have run them as low as 20 psi. I will be switching the sealant to Cafe Latex because I dont want to risk damaging my rims with the Stans sealant based on what a lot of people have said about the amonia in the sealant eating aluminum. I just wish they weighed about 1600 grams instead of the 1800 and something that they actual weigh.

mtbr member
    I've been riding for Spinergy for almost 5yrs and I've had these wheels on all kinds of bikes..(road, Freeride, 29er, tubeless) They ROCK..ZERO PROBLEMS..One time on my fall lines (DH-freeride wheelset) I broke like three spokes but other than that..... Go to their site and check out my Bio.....Now before anyone says "Duh, of course your going to say they rock you ride for them) WRONG,,,,,That's not me brother..If they su@k they are NOT for me PERIOD.......Hope this helps.. CF.

Kaizen
    Great wheels! Solid. Somewhat light. Very maintenance. Decent bearings. Loads of curb appeal!! Blingy!!!

Neg reppers r my biatches
    I like mine a lot. I had a set of OLD MTB spinergys that did have hub issues. however, they now thoughtfully source some parts from hadley in this regard and i love mine. they may very well a bit flexy but perhaps they are compliant...dunno, but i love them and they seem VERY low maintainence. just have spoked on hand if needed, just like you should with any wheelset / spoke combo. just need the spinergy tools to help with process. in summary, i like me these wheels

mtbr member
    Spinergy's use Hadley freehubs now? What does that put their engagement at? 36 point or 72? This could make them a very nice option at the ebay pricing mentioned earlier . . .

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hubs seem to engage quicker then other wheelsets I've been on. It would be nice if they were lighter but there strong.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I ride em and LOVE em Keep a few "spokes" on hand just in case but other than that, no special treatment required. They've been bulletproof so far...

How about you fellow Spinergy riders post pics of your rides??? I'll get some of mine up tomorrow

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Excellent responses.

I bought the white spoke model and will post pics of them on my new not yet ridden Atomic Blue (glow in the dark) Air9 with the matching fork.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I was going to post pics but it decided to snow and sleet all day so... I'll post them when I can

mtbr member
    Was just checking out the web site and see that that Spinergy has a trade in deal of 20 to 25% off. Anybody use it?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Spinergy wheels are great. I had them on my26 epic and rode that for three years and the wheels were as true as the day I put them on. When the time came for a 29 wheelset it was an easy choice. They outlasted my jet9 and are now on my air9.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rocket
    Spinergy wheels are great. I had them on my26 epic and rode that for three years and the wheels were as true as the day I put them on. When the time came for a 29 wheelset it was an easy choice. They outlasted my jet9 and are now on my air9.
    CF.

Kaizen
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    I ride em and LOVE em Keep a few "spokes" on hand just in case but other than that, no special treatment required. They've been bulletproof so far...

How about you fellow Spinergy riders post pics of your rides??? I'll get some of mine up tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizen
    wow...nice!

Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    My 08 Cannondale F29er ONE

"Clatto Verata Nicto"
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ecthelion
    Spinergy's use Hadley freehubs now? What does that put their engagement at? 36 point or 72? This could make them a very nice option at the ebay pricing mentioned earlier . . .
    I just mounted a pair on a new Big Mama build and counted the clicks last night out of curiousity. They are 36 point engagement.

Having run the 26er Xyclone Enduros on a Reign for several years I have no qualms at all about the durability and low maintenance the wheelset provides. They were the only choice for my 29er build.

I'm over 250 suited up and tend to bomb down hill and mash uphill, with a tragic history of breaking spokes, freehubs, etc. before giving Spinergy a whirl. They are the most durable wheels I've owned.
    Local Riding Area - Rocky Hill Bike Ranch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast