mtbr member

Anthem with a 120 mm fork or wait for Trance 29er?

Hi! Looking to replace my venerable Fisher 293. I love the idea of a Trance 29er, but after talking to my shop guy, am waffling and thinking about getting an Anthem and putting a 120mm fork on it.

I ride Sun valley Idaho area single track mostly. most SV riding is pretty smooth. Some rocky or slightly technical areas, but mostly good swoopy single track. I also ride some flow trail stuff that has been built in the last year or two up here.

I am a forty something, strong citizen rider. Not a racer, (except for Thursday night shop rides that can turn into races a bit), don't hit huge jumps, but do go down to Moab once in a while, etc. I am 180 something lbs during riding season, and 5'9" I typically ride a medium frame.

i bought a used Trance x2 for my son, and it seems a nice bike. But I want my 29 inch wheels. My shop guy, who basically started the 29er movement in the area, and sold me my Sugar a long time ago, thinks perhaps, for most of my riding, an Anthem with a 120mm fork would be plenty.

I am used to my Sugar, but want better geometry as I feel on the steeper technical downhills that the front angles are too steep. It has a 100m Reba on it. I have widened the bars and run a 2.4 Ardent up front and a 2.1 Ignitor in the back.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Based on a response I got here, and based on my shop, we should know something about a Trance 29er in August. So what do you guys think based on my above stated use?

mtbr member
    Yeti SB95

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 AX29 by the way. I may go with a 120mm fork soon.
    But if I were to buy a new ride it would be the SB95 race XT build without a doubt.
    Check it out in the Yeti section.
    Last edited by Jimmy V; 05-10-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Spelling

usually cranky
    when is the trance29 supposed to be out?

mtbr member
    An Anthem with a 120mm fork? I think you would be making a mistake. You will slow the Anthem down unnecessarily both weight and agility wise. I have an Anthem 29er and sold my 26 inch Trance to buy it. The Anthem 29er can do everything my 5 inch Trance could do. There is stuff my 29er can do that my Trance could never do.
    Buy the Anthem and keep the 100mm fork on it. You will be happy.
    As to the question of a Trance 29er, have not seen one yet.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    not

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    not
    +1.

The Anthem with a 100mm fork is an agile racing machine that is perfect for riders like myself. It's perception, but for most riders, putting in a 120mm fork would not turn handling into 'slow'. It would turn it into 'a bit less agile', pedal strikes would be reduced and the HTA would still be in a range that many riders would call steep. Especially with the slack HTA craze that seems to be going on these days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I actually have a 120 fork on my Anthem 29er. Best change I made to the bike. I put on a Fox 34 (set at 120mm) and have only noticed improvements,

The climbing abiity has not been sacrifised at all, and really if anyone can notice the difference in weight while riding they need a new hobby,

I say go for the Anthem at 120, you will not be sorry, I am not.

Will post pics later if you want to see how it looks

mtbr member
    If you already had the A29, I'd say go for it.

However I would say that buying an Anthem then putting a 120mm fork on it wouldn't be the best option.

Why not look at a frame designed for a 120mm fork like a Rip9?

Alternatively, get the anthem and put a Talas 95-120 fork on it, so you can still use it as intended for your race days, but can raise the travel for your Moab days.

I have that fork on my 29er titanium hardtail. Best of both worlds.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Don't wait; you'll miss a summer of riding, and might have trouble getting a Trance29 even if they do come out in August. I've got a '11 AnthemX 29er with a Marz 44 Micro Ti set at 120, and it's just a great bike. For the riding you describe, it's also plenty of bike. I've got a Transition Covert for my Moab trips, etc., but unless you're in Clyde territory and hitting the burlier stuff on your trips to Moab, you'll be fine on your Anthem, esp. once if you've got a 120 on the front. Have fun!
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Nah, I was fine on my Sugar 293 in Moab, though I want to slacken things a bit and shorten the chainstay. I may be rethinking what I want. An Anthem with a 120 would probably work, but I may want to do something closer to a Tallboy now that I think about it, or a Rocky 950.

Like I say, I may be re-thinking this.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I ride with a guy who went from 100 to 120 on his anthem 29er and now can keep up with the faster guys on the way down. He did the talas and thinks it is the best money he has spent on the bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Nah, I was fine on my Sugar 293 in Moab, though I want to slacken things a bit and shorten the chainstay. I may be rethinking what I want. An Anthem with a 120 would probably work, but I may want to do something closer to a Tallboy now that I think about it, or a Rocky 950.

Like I say, I may be re-thinking this.
    My son loves his Camber Expert.
    I really like my AX29er, I'm in Clyde territory and ask it to be more than an awsome XC race hero. It never disappoints, but often I feel like a little more beef wouldn't hurt.
    But what you are describing is exactly why I am looking at the Yeti SB95.
    So, no I don't think it would be cost effective to get any complete bike and need to change the fork. Unless you already own the one you need. Or maybe money is no object?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy V View Post

But what you are describing is exactly why I am looking at the Yeti SB95.
    So, no I don't think it would be cost effective to get any complete bike and need to change the fork. Unless you already own the one you need. Or maybe money is no object?
    Yes, after looking into it more, I don't think it is a great idea for me to get an Anthem and then have to swap out forks. Money is an issue in fact. As I am a one mountain bike guy, something along a 4inch rear travel/5inch front travel bike looks to be a good compromise, but I am not convinced the Anthem is the way to go. I may look at the RipNiner frame, a TallBoy frame, or check out that Yeti.

As my Sugar will not sell for what its current parts are worth, I may shop and save for the frame and fork I want, and salvage all I can from the Sugar, and replace that stuff as I can afford it and as it is needed. I can at least salvage my race face carbon bar (1/2 season old), my X9 transmission (newer), my brakes (one season), etc.

I would like a bike with chainstay under 18" a bit, around 70 degrees in the head tube, and 120 mm fork. My reasoning is I want a higher bottom bracket than the Sugar, a bit more travel in the front, and a bit more slack.

The Anthem is really too close in many respects to the Sugar frame, and if I am going to change it up, I want to move in a more modern direction.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

rumblefish 2012

Hey Sunvalleylaw!
    =============
    If you are looking for a 120mm, and like your Fisher 293, then what about replacing them with a new Trek/Fisher RUMBLEFISH? The RF has an original 120mm travel front & rear, so you dont have to mess with changing the fork etc.

I own the 2012 RF ($2,570) and I love it. Mr Fisher knows how to build good bikes.
    It's solid, it's plush and great for rough terrain, long distance rides, desert trails, uphill, downhill... just everything! You can also check the RF Elite or the RF Pro.

Bike model comparison - Trek Bicycle

Good luck!

Mo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Banshee prime!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The Anthem looks like a cool bike and from what you say it doesn't sound like you need a Trance 29er but that's up to you I guess. I've been riding a Tallboy for two years now and started at 100mm and switched to 120 and haven't looked back. Luckily I have a Reba so I can do that by adding/removing a spacer. I would recommend trying any frames that you can so you can get the right size, but I know that can sometimes be difficult. I think you're headed in the right direction, though. Most of the bikes you'll be looking at are awesome and it simply comes down to personal preference or that initial test ride on a new weapon!

mtbr member
    After trying a couple bikes, and looking into this some more, and after the Trance 29'er came out, I am looking much more seriously at the Rocky Mountain Element 950. I like the geometry and feel. I am going to give a demo 2011 Stumpjumper FSR 29 comp a whirl. but I really think I don't need that much travel/plush in the rear for what I do. The 950 seems like a pretty good fit for my needs. Now I just have to find a demo or a used one from someone who wants to trade up to the newer model or 970 or something so I can afford one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For what your riding needs seem to be, IMO I recommend you take a demo on a Santa cruz Tallboy. You'll love it with a 120 fork!

mtbr member
    I set up my Anthem with a TALAS 90-120 and it was farkin fantastic!
    Most o the time I conveniently forgot that the 90mm setting was even there.