mtbr member
    Mar 2004

anthem 1 29er or epic comp carbon 29er if same price?

I think the anthem is the best value when the epic is at regular price but when the epic is about the same as the anthem X1, which one is best value?

Note: I did test drive both on the road (not on the trail) and I would be happy with either...
    That may change on the trail though...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Basically it is Carbon Vs alu. Both bikes are good. Anthem a bit more trail than epic. But still both excellent bikes.
    Maybe this can help u decide..

If you are a average rider that will not be getting too extreme on the bike. (You dont crash that much)The Epic might be the slightly lighter(Not by much afaik) and more racier for your needs. Brain vs maestro. Both do the job. Good pedaling efficiency.

I see the Anthem as a bike that can take multiple falls with no problems. This is best suited to a more extreme trail rider. Or maybe trails with more rock.

I,m not a carbon skeptic. I have used carbon 3 road and 2 mtbs. If I crash/ding my bike. I like to be able to inspect damage and make an informed decision whether it is safe to use again. I,m afraid carbon doesnt give you this option.

I ride a beat-up anthem with confidence(Waiting on 29X) I couldnt ride a beat up carbon bike with confidence. Any shop mechanic will say the same.

Compelling, and rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by pb11 View Post
    I see the Anthem as a bike that can take multiple falls with no problems. This is best suited to a more extreme trail rider. Or maybe trails with more rock.

I,m not a carbon skeptic. I have used carbon 3 road and 2 mtbs. If I crash/ding my bike. I like to be able to inspect damage and make an informed decision whether it is safe to use again. I,m afraid carbon doesnt give you this option.

I ride a beat-up anthem with confidence(Waiting on 29X) I couldnt ride a beat up carbon bike with confidence. Any shop mechanic will say the same.
    For not being a carbon skeptic, you certainly sound like one. And no. Any shop mechanic will not say the same thing you do. It's easy to inspect carbon for damage, it's just slightly more involved than inspecting an alloy frame.

Santa Cruz Test Labs - Food for thought.

Anyway, now that that's out of the way. Both are great bikes. I think you'll notice the better components on the Anthem more than the carbon front triangle on the Epic.

The Epic will probably take longer to dial in, but that's just the nature of the Brain. I've also heard of reliability issues with the 2012 version of the Brain, I never had any issues with my 2011.

If the frame material isn't important to you, you could always get the alloy version of the Epic Comp and upgrade the parts (better wheels, in particular).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I stand by my non septic views

Santa Cruz make quality frames. I owned one of the first Madones 5.9 2004 OLVC. 3rd owner. Fork was like Crocodile Dundee had attacked it. Big gouges all over it and frame. I sold it since. It is still going strong now. See my faith in carbon?

Now if that frame was a knockoff/ebay job. I wouldn't be as confident. The fact still remains carbon cracks-alu deforms.

Strikes on carbon tubing will kill even the most protected of frame. Carbon cannot take localised compression/impact. Sure these tests focus on the frame as a Monocoque design. If you put a carbon frame in a bike stand and tighten the clamp as hard as you can. You will crush the tube and kill the frame. A rock strike in the middle of the top/bottom tubes/stays will all fail with similar results. Alloys can withstand these local pressures with ease and longevity. In a crash this is what usually happens. Frame ends up hitting a blouder in a place it wasn't designed. Give me alu mtb. Carbon Road bike. Thats my stable and thats hows its staying.

The V10 strike test fails btw. Look at frame. Wonder why they didnt use a nomad/blur for that test.. Love to try it with a hong kong frame.

So we will agree to (dis)agree. Carbon is great. Alloy is great.

Epic rider
    Frame weight of alu Anthem X29 is a bit less than Epic Comp Carbon. Weight frame only incl shock:

MEDIUM:
    2350 Niner Jet RDO med carbon
    2356 Specialized Epic S-Works 29 med carbon
    2406 Giant Anthem x1 29 2011 med alu
    2505 Giant Anthem x1 29 2012 med alu
    2645 Specialized Epic comp carbon 29 med carbon+alu
    3078 Specialized Epic comp 29 med alu
    LARGE:
    2281 Trek Superfly 100 19" carbon
    2472 Santa Cruz Tallboy large carbon
    2486 Giant Anthem x2 29 2012 large alu (zelf gewogen)
    2985 Niner Jet large alu
    3141 Fuji Outland 29 1.0 alu
    12 Anthem X29
    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro