mtbr member
    May 2009

Another what to buy thread. 08 Fuji Tahoe 29 Pro vs. 09 Specialized 29er Expert

So I am new here just looking for some advise. How good is this deal. I can get an 08 Fuji Tahoe 29 Pro for $900 which I found at a Performance shop on closeout or pick up a 09 Specialized Rockhopper Expert for $1150 at another lbs. I had a Hardrock sport from 93 and want to get back into riding. How good is the Fuji deal or should I just spend a little more and get the RH. Thanks.

I like Squishy Bikes
    Wow...the Fuji has a funky looking downtube.
    I know looks shouldnt matter, but that really is fugly.

The Specialized wins the Beauty Contest.
    Last edited by Hollis; 05-21-2009 at 05:13 PM.
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollis
    hard to say not knowing whats on the bike:
    fork,
    shifters,
    brakes etc

Here is a side by side at bikepedia..

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/S...=13826b+15888b

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    personally, i say go tahoe in a heartbeat if it fits you well. i have a tahoe pro from last year and love it, ive beaten the crap out of it and its going strong. frame is a bit on the heavy side, but its spec'ed well for the money. for a $250 jump in price, you downgrade your drivetrain, brakes, and move sideways on the wheels. plus i like the dirt color of my tahoe.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Didn't Specialized talk trash about 29ers for a few years only to tuck their tail and make them later...I'm surprised that isn't more of an issue for "the faithful" around here.

On top of that, Specialized has a history of suing any and everyone. For that reason alone I to my best not to support them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If I had the same decision, I would go with the Fuji.

I own a 2009 Rockhopper 29er Expert, and absolutely love it, I have no problems with anything on the bike.

There's nothing I see on the Fuji that isn't equal or better than the RH.

Best thing to do is ride both of them and see if you like one of them more than the other.

(I have ridden both and really didn't feel too much difference between the two of them. I chose the RH simply because the LBS that carries Spec has multiple locations around the area, and I have a job that takes me all over the place, so if I need service or anything, I can just load it in my work truck and drop it off at whichever shop I happen to drive by that day)

Former Bike Wrench
    I'd get the Tahoe...but then buy a Access XCL 29r frame and swap all the parts (and everything swaps...down to the seatpost). Your still $100 less than the Specialized and while I liked my Windsor (same bike as the Tahoe except the downtube)...the Access frame is a better singletrack frame (more standover, more nimble) while the Tahoe frame is a better fire road bomber (more stable).

Or just get the Access XCL 9.7

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have the Fuji Tahoe SL and love it. I like the way the Tahoe Pro is specd better and Fuji is are on the money on the weights they post. Fuji has my vote.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for all the insightful information. I test rode both and plan on going with the Tahoe Pro. Now I have to figure out how to ride with clipless pedals.