Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Another Canfield Nimble 9 mini-report

I finally sold my 07 Voodoo Canzo frame that I have ridden sparingly over the past couple of years. I liked the Canzo, it was a decent frame for the price bla bla bla, we've all heard the reviews. At 5'-8", the medium frame was a touch to big for me so it was time to go. I also ride a small Vassago Jabber, SS and rigid(ETT was roughly 23.3" on both bikes). The Jabber is my go to bike, I just like how it feels and the handling is very predictable on most of the trails I ride here in Arizona. I'm not a "spring chicken" anymore and after some longer, rocky terrain and sometimes "feel it" in the back!
    Long story short, they are building a ton of new tech trails in Prescott and I am by no means a tech ninja like Enel or Helimech to name a few. I like to go out and try new lines, if I'm not comfortable with a certain line, I have no shame in walking it! Hey, I have young kids to take care of!
    After doing a lot research, reading the forums etc and reviewing my budget I decided on the Nimble 9 for my next steed. Now mind you I have only one ride in since the build, I decided to go SS for now but am planning on changing to 1 x 9 shortly. All the talk about short chainstays and slack headtubes is not BS! On my initial ride I was cleaning stuff easier than the other 2 bikes and riding some lines that I wouldn't attempt before. To say this bike is fun to ride is an understatement!
    Again only 1 ride techy ride in so far, I plan on a 22-25 mile cross country ride this weekend and will hopefully have more to report. Here are some initial thoughts:
    - A medium frame with a short stem is perfect for someone my height.
    - This bike freakin handles awesome! Point the front wheel and the rear wheel floats right thru it.
    - I love how the front pulls up easy, but a controlled easy! Bunny hops like a MoFo!
    - Really fun as a SS but plan on trying a 1 x 9
    -Low BB = pedal strikes on the techy rocks!
    - If anyone is in AZ and wants to try a medium shoot me a PM
    Build list:(mostly pulled off the Canzo)
    Fox F29 (100mm seems right on this frame)
    XT/Stans wheelset(yanked my Stans 355/Surley SS off the Jabber for the time being)
    XT cranks,running 32x22 as SS(will go to 34t & 11/34 with the 1 x 9)
    Syncros bars, Sunline 65mm stem,Syncros Ti seatpost(awesome!)
    BB7's,CB Mallet pedals.
    I have Nevagals and a WTB Exi on there now but have Ardents I'll put on shortly.
    Roughly 27 lbs(bathroom scale) as it's currently set up.
    Heres a few pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Canfield Nimble 9 mini-report-canfield-n9-05.jpg  

Another Canfield Nimble 9 mini-report-canfield-n9-07.jpg  

Another Canfield Nimble 9 mini-report-canfield-n9-10.jpg  

Another Canfield Nimble 9 mini-report-canfield-n9-12.jpg  

Another Canfield Nimble 9 mini-report-canfield-n9-15.jpg  

Plan #123-D
    Sweet!
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Nice write up! Funny...I was on a Vassago before my Nimble as well.
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

hispanic mechanic
    Glad you're enjoying it! I love mine on the low speed tech, high speed corners, jumping water bars, rock drops... It's just been great so far!

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by going29AZ View Post
    On my initial ride I was cleaning stuff easier than the other 2 bikes and riding some lines that I wouldn't attempt before.
    Such as.....

A medium frame with a short stem is perfect for someone my height.
    Or mine

Fox F29 (100mm seems right on this frame)
    Very nice to see a properly short fork on this frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

hispanic mechanic
    Watch it. My Fox is very sensitive about short jokes.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Watch it. My Fox is very sensitive about short jokes.

Los
    Los, I hear it's not about the size of the fork...it's the magic in it!

So my wife says.....

mtbr member
    nice looking bike and a good writeup!
    My Canzo rarely gets ridden in favor of the Jabber as well.....Might have to consider a winter project.....decisions, decisions....

mtbr member
    Keep us posted on how the 9 fairs on the longer, more XCish, ride.
    While I've enjoyed my Jabber (in S AZ) I can imagine how a more Nimble ride may have it's benefits. I'll look forward to your observations as you adapt to and learn from this bike.
    Cheers,
    M

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yes, very nice indeed. Is it just me or is your seat post inserted backwards? 180 deg off. I love my Misfit Dissent but I'd like to try one of these!

Ovaries on the Outside
    Sick!

- uMartH

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Such as.....

Or mine

Very nice to see a properly short fork on this frame.
    Hit my "rock" Eric....cleaned it!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I did a couple more rides on the N9, one was only about 7 miles of rocky, techy,chunky on a local trail called Lakeshore. IMHO more techy than Constellation, others may disagree. Some additional observations....this bike likes to climb! I feel much more comfortable/confident on this bike than my other 29ers. It truley is fun and a joy to ride! Before I did a 22+ mile cross country ride this am, I made a few changes. First off I switched to 1 x 9 from SS, most of the stuff I ride I really like the extra gears. Also changed the rear tire from a Nevagal to a new 2.25 Ardent...Holy *****, the Ardent really exposes some flaws the Nevagal has.
    Anyway, there was a bunch of loose climbs and some sweet arse singletrack, this bike excelled and felt great. As mentioned earlier I put on a Syncros Ti seatpost, I really think it helps to soften some impact that reverbs thru a steel frame.
    If your looking for a steel frame that has great geo for CC rides and some medium level chunky and is fairly priced I have no reservations in recommending the Canfield N9.

Powered by ice cream.
    Hit my "rock" Eric....cleaned it!

OTB rock!?! AWESOME.

Glad to see you get back out there and hit that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member

another report

Another shortish review.

Got the Nimble 9 frame earlier this week.

RAILS on singletrack. Great, light turning feel...quicker than the El Mar, Jabber, Bokor, MCR, Paradox…I have owned all of them. The ride feel is very nice. Springy. Smooth. Almost soft feeling. It felt a little noodly at first, kinda like the MCR, but I think much of that feeling comes from the inital adjustment to steel. I was riding an ALU frame before his one.

BB area is stiff. I run SS (34x18) and have had no issues with the tensioners. They have stayed put under heavy stomping and breaking.

I have done 20 mile singletrack loops on this bike. Very mixed trail conditions. Lots of up and down. Roots. Rock. Reggae. I have no complaints about this bike. I thought that the seat tube angle woud be a little wonky, but it has proven to be a non-issue. The seat position feels no different than any other "normal" seat tube position/angle. The N9 steers very well from the hips. It moves very well underneath you when carving singletrack.

I have not done techy chunky rides yet. I imagine it will do well, but can't say for sure. I run a mostly XC cockpit, and the front end pulls up very easily over trail obstacles. This will be an attribute in the chunk.

Yesterday, I rode a 65+ mile loop on two track roads. The bike felt very good. Comfortale for the long haul. I did not feel like I was pedaling a slackish bike. It felt very normal on the long distance ride. My SS gear ratio was too soft, though, I spun out A LOT. Meh.

Finish quality is really very nice. Welds look good. Paint looks good, and is durable. Attentino to detail is good. I am impressed, and see no reason to go custom, this production bike is right on the mark.

Bike feels great with a rigid fork. A longish sus fork might make it feel a little tall, though, at least for me.

Buying experience was easy. I ordered. Paid with Paypal. Was sent UPS tracking the next day. Nice.

Bike setup:
    N9 frame. Large.
    Salsa Cromoto fork.
    XT cranks
    BB7 brakes
    Surly and Mavic wheels
    WTB tires
    90mm stem. Flat bar.
    Bell.

What else do you folks want to know? I am happy to answer.
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Canfield Nimble 9 mini-report-dsc_0045.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ^ NICE! whats your height and inseam?

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9". 31" inseam.

I like big bikes and I cannot lie. Most folks my size would go with a medium. The large is more like a medium/large in my opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by badgermtb View Post
    I'm 5'9". 31" inseam.

I like big bikes and I cannot lie. Most folks my size would go with a medium. The large is more like a medium/large in my opinion.
    Nice looking build Badger, I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam...medium is perfect for me

mtbr member
    Nice reviews, guys!
    You've just motivated me to ride my current frame into the ground.
    Cheers,
    M

mtbr member

Nimble 9 good for XC rider?

Having read your reviews sounds like this frame works well for XC riding. I ride SS XC exclusively, lots of climbing on rooty twisty trails (I like to climb!). I don't ride AM at all, currently running an El Mariachi with Reba and Niner One9 rigid. The short CS on the Nimble 9 sounds like it would be a good fit for my riding, esp, the climbing and twisty trails, but wanted to get some more opinions before I take the plunge.

Thanks!

Mark

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Myers005 View Post
    Having read your reviews sounds like this frame works well for XC riding. I ride SS XC exclusively, lots of climbing on rooty twisty trails (I like to climb!). I don't ride AM at all, currently running an El Mariachi with Reba and Niner One9 rigid. The short CS on the Nimble 9 sounds like it would be a good fit for my riding, esp, the climbing and twisty trails, but wanted to get some more opinions before I take the plunge.

Thanks!

Mark
    Myers005, I think this frame would perform great as a dedicated SS country rig. Maybe look at a 80mm fork to keep the front end a little lower? Just gotta get used to the lower BB.

mtbr member
    Could definitely run the Reba at 80. Thanks going29AZ!

beater
    Very nice, clean, classy build.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Myers005 View Post

Thanks!

Mark

I wouldn't go 80mm. I was getting pedal strikes like crazy on my last ride. I'm raising it to 100mm this week. For XC riding, maybe try a neg rise stem and flat bar. Maybe even dirt drops.

I went from El Mariachi to N9. The riding position is definitely more AM on the N9. I wouldn't use one as a XC race rig---well, if you're serious about racing anyway. But for everything else, this bike rips. I do XC rides most of the time and this bike has yet to disappoint me. This bike would compliment that One9 nicely.

mtbr member
    Thanks p nut - that's helpful. I'm not a racer, so that's not a concern. Good to hear your opinion having going from the El Mar to the N9. Sounds like the low BB will take a little getting used to, but otherwise I really like what I hear about the bike.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast