yte
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Another big man 29er question

Finding a bike is hard!

Work hours, lack of bike shops in my city etc

Here goes,

Looking for a 29er HT for $600ish. Haven't ridden in forever, not looking for anything too fancy. Mostly will be riding on gravel, pavement and the occasional trail come spring / summer

The caveat is I'm 6'5 270, so buying things like shoes and clothing is a pain on its own. I searched a lot of threads about larger bikes and there's plenty of larger guys on the forum, but the models I found I cant find online anymore, or are $2300, a bit out of my price range until I get in to riding a bit more.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

PS: I was looking at the Diamondback Overdrive 29er 22", which seems to be the sketchers of the MTB world, also TREK had a nice model I was interested in as well, just wondering if there were any Diamonds in the rough out there. I'm planning on ordering and having my local bike shop set it up for me.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I would take a look at the Specialized Rock Hopper. I had a 2017 model and loved it.

yte
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeGee68 View Post
    I would take a look at the Specialized Rock Hopper. I had a 2017 model and loved it.
    That is a good lookin' bike!! Definitely will do some research on it. Thank you!!

Definitely considering this bike, any one have any other options / experience?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by yte; 03-08-2018 at 06:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    You would have better results posting this question in the "Clydesdale" forum. You are "average" sized over there!

mtbr member
    If you're interested in the Diamondback, google up the directions to sign up for their corporate discount. It'll save you some dough.

yte
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks for the diamondback tip!

And I checked out that forum.. interesting place... I don't think that's really my demographic

So for now it's overdrive vs rockhopper, any suggestions would be appreciated!

They both seem very similar, so far overdrive has better reviews, some say rockhopper has bad frame, but there's so many different years and variants so damn confusing.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The Rock Hopper has been a great bike for me. Mine is a 2015 and Im pushing 700 miles on it. Couldnt be happier. im 6'0 230. My frame is a LG 19. At 6'5 Im assuming you prob need an XLG frame but not 100% on that.

yte
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TRLJNKY View Post
    The Rock Hopper has been a great bike for me. Mine is a 2015 and Im pushing 700 miles on it. Couldnt be happier. im 6'0 230. My frame is a LG 19. At 6'5 Im assuming you prob need an XLG frame but not 100% on that.

I think it was easier to find my m6 than these darn bikes!

So I settled on a rockhopper xl (or xxl) or an overdrive 29er xl 22" but I just cant find them, even online! Amazon says they will be in stock in 9 days for the overdrive, anyone know where I can grab one online ?

Sorry for being needy!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yte View Post

And I checked out that forum.. interesting place... I don't think that's really my demographic
    But that forum is where you will find most accurate information for a dude of your size.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    i just looked at both websites. Specialized will show dealers close to your location and can search by size and looks like Diamondback may direct ship. im not sure where your located but hope that helps.

yte
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Called them already Out of stock until Mid April, and doesnt show XL version of Overdrive I found a Cannondale Trail 7 locally though, I might go check that one out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yte View Post
    Not sure what you mean by that...are you looking here at the 'MTBR Clydesdale and Tall Rider Forum'? I'm 6'04 / 220 and have gotten lots of info from fellow tall and bigger sized riders. You're one of us...don't be afraid!

Clydesdales/Tall Riders - Mtbr.com
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

yte
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Alrighty I talked to two shops, here's what I can get

TREK MARLIN 7
    ROCKHOPPER PRO 2018 (neon green one)
    Cannondale TRAIL 7

What would you guys get

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I hated the Suntour forks that my Rockhopper came with and upgraded to the XC30 Rockshox that the Trek 7 comes with (Think I paid close to $800 for my Rockhopper in '15). Ive been much happier. The Specialized and the Trek 7 are great entry level HT's imo. i have a friend that has a Trek 7 and its very comprable. i dont know much about the Canondale. my issue with the Suntours where they just didnt feel smooth to me and my lockout tab kept popping off even when it wasnt locked out. kinda cheesy entry level front forks. Im no expert though but I would say that either with the Trek or Specialized you would be happy. Your a bigger dude so concerned about the Suntours on the Canondale but maybe I just got a bad set of forks as well.

yte
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TRLJNKY View Post
    I hated the Suntour forks that my Rockhopper came with and upgraded to the XC30 Rockshox that the Trek 7 comes with (Think I paid close to $800 for my Rockhopper in '15). Ive been much happier. The Specialized and the Trek 7 are great entry level HT's imo. i have a friend that has a Trek 7 and its very comprable. i dont know much about the Canondale. my issue with the Suntours where they just didnt feel smooth to me and my lockout tab kept popping off even when it wasnt locked out. kinda cheesy entry level front forks. Im no expert though but I would say that either with the Trek or Specialized you would be happy. Your a bigger dude so concerned about the Suntours on the Canondale but maybe I just got a bad set of forks as well.
    Great advice, thank you! Went ahead an ordered a Trek Marlin 7 23" from my LBC, very looking forward to it!!

Ironically they tried to talk me down to a more made model they had in stock, I was going to do it then I remembered this thread and all the great advice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk