Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

American Classic MTB 29er OR Hope Pro 2 hubs + Sapim D-Light spokes + ZTR Arch?

Hi all,

Can you help me choose between these two wheelsets? (The price is exactly the same in this particular deal.)

I race MTB marathons and avoid courses with very technical terrain.

I do not destroy wheels and would err on the side of lightness over robustness (but not over reliability).

I weigh 75 kgs.

I must decide by tomorrow!

Thanks very much in advance!

Nuno H Luz

mtbr member
    I would say wait for the Crest to be available again, or go with the 355's.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    DavidR1: the wheelsets are part of a package and I must choose one or the other.

Thanks for the reply!

NHL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhluz
    DavidR1: the wheelsets are part of a package and I must choose one or the other.

Thanks for the reply!

NHL
    In that case, the Hope Arch combo. Better hubs.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Hope / Arch.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    But aren't the Hopes + Arches significantly heavier than the American Classics?

Thanks again!

NHL

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Heavier but more reliable.

Another vote for Hope/ Arch

mtbr member

Thanks again!

NHL
    Not sure of the exact weight as I'm not familiar with the Sapim D-light spokes, but your probably looking at an extra 100 grams for this wheelset. I would say worth it for the better components of this build. Plus, if you ever really want a lighter set of wheels, replace the Arch's with some Crest and you will be well under the AC set at a minimal cost.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Hope/Arch. Super reliable from what I've read.

bog
    mtbr member
    Hope - Arch for sure. You get great hubs with very nice rims that can be rebuilt by any decent wheelbuilder. The little bit of extra weight will be worth it when you consider the easy tubeless set up of the Arch rims.
    SC Tallboy C : Spec Enduro 29 : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9000

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I despise the American Classic hubs. Yes, they're very light, but the engagement is atrocious.

Leg Shaver

Thanks again!

NHL
    Significantly?

are you concerned about the dead scale weight in your garage or rolling?

you will have more tubeless tire options with the stans rims that will favor rolling weight depending on set up.

The front Hope Pro II hub can convert to Maxle in seconds which is nice

IMHO the potential for strong lateral stiffness,more tubeless options, Maxle conversion, better engagement according to many (I am not an engagement expert) Bearing durability..all favor the Hope Stans imho

The AC is a fine wheel set however. Is your option the MTB 29 Disc 'Tubeless' or just the MTB 29 Disc?
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I couldn't but obey -- went with the Hopes/Arches.

Thanks very much for your help.

Nuno

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You will love them that is what I run on my niner mcr9 and just ordered the same set for my rip9 as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    the ac hubs got a redesign this year. don't know if it'll fix durability issues, but supposedly engagement has improved. waiting for my set, so i'll keep posted.

N8!
    mtbr member
    Lots of peeps ride Am Classics... check out this build:
    Hot Off The Press New Lynskey Ridgeline 23.65 Pounds

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Like it

Good build

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    IMO the AC's are your only choice here. should be more than 1/2 lbs. ligher than the hope/arch (!!!), 1600g for the AC and about 1850 for the hopes.

And the factory building quality of the AC is exceptional. the 26" version just won a big wheel test in a european bike magazin - against an edge wheelset, fulcrum carbons and many others!

i understand lots of people here like their hope hubs and arch rims, but the 2010 AC are much lighter, fairly stiff (good build), have a great tubeless rim now and the problems with the rear hubs have been sorted out already years ago. only reason to go for the hope's would be the option to convert the front hub to 20mm. however, i believe there is a 15mm front kit for the AC.

mtbr member
    Sorry, I've heard too many horror stories about AC hubs.

I <3 NM
    I have a new set of Hope's Pro II hubs laced on Bonty Duster tubeless rims on my Pivot and I hate the Hopes.

I ran Industry 9's on my previous Racer X 29r and I was really disappointed in how much 'slack/slop' there is in the Hopes before they engage. It's quite noticeable to me vs the I9s.

I will be going back to I9 or perhaps moving to Chris Kings soon.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate
    I have a new set of Hope's Pro II hubs laced on Bonty Duster tubeless rims on my Pivot and I hate the Hopes.

I ran Industry 9's on my previous Racer X 29r and I was really disappointed in how much 'slack/slop' there is in the Hopes before they engage. It's quite noticeable to me vs the I9s.

I will be going back to I9 or perhaps moving to Chris Kings soon.
    If you dont like the hopes, then you'll really dislike the AC's. I ride Kings on the SS that I'm riding 90% of the time and I have a geared bike with AC's that I ride occaisionally. Coming from the Kings, It's difficult to ride anything with less engagement. If you ride relatively non technical trails, engagement is less of an issue. If you ride a lot of technical stuff, the engagement is very noticable. I'm building up a race wheelset with DT240's for this season, and I've ordered the upgraded ratchet for those. We'll see how I like these, but I suspect that I'll still notice the slower engagement. If that's the case, my next set will be I9's, just to try something different than the kings.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by BShow
    If you dont like the hopes, then you'll really dislike the AC's. I ride Kings on the SS that I'm riding 90% of the time and I have a geared bike with AC's that I ride occaisionally. Coming from the Kings, It's difficult to ride anything with less engagement. If you ride relatively non technical trails, engagement is less of an issue. If you ride a lot of technical stuff, the engagement is very noticable. I'm building up a race wheelset with DT240's for this season, and I've ordered the upgraded ratchet for those. We'll see how I like these, but I suspect that I'll still notice the slower engagement. If that's the case, my next set will be I9's, just to try something different than the kings.

I cant speak for the AC's but I know exactly what you are talking about with respect to the Hopes.

I have I9's on my single speed and it's almost painful to go from it to the Hopes on my Pivot.

Very disappointing.

On the other hand, the Bonty Duster rims they are laced to are freekin' GREAT!
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Running the Hope Pro II/ Arch wheelset. So far, no complaints at all and love the easy, reliable tubeless set up.

Formerly of Kent
    I'm guessing the detractors of the AC hubset have a total of 0 hours on the 2009+ model of that hub.

There is nothing wrong with it. And the steel inserts on an otherwise aluminum freehub body are a great idea.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    I'm guessing the detractors of the AC hubset have a total of 0 hours on the 2009+ model of that hub.

There is nothing wrong with it. And the steel inserts on an otherwise aluminum freehub body are a great idea.
    Agreed on both of those thoughts. The steel inserts are such a great feature that I will probably build more and more wheelsets around the AC hubs (road/cross/mtb).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast