g3h6o3

Am I missing something?

I'm currently in the process of refreshing my definition of a hardtail. I've ridden a 100mm XC 26'' hardtail since I first started riding and although I got a double suspension bike along the way I always kept a good old hardtail. Well I'm at the turning points where I sold my 26'' fork, will get a brand new frame from warranty and I'll try to sell it. Given this is an opportunity to get a different kind of hardtail I'm looking at my options including going to the bigger wheel size.

Since I'm mostly done with serious XC racing and the trails around here are very rough, I'm looking at a more playful trail-AMish hardtail. At first I was looking at the Cotic Soul to pair with a 140mm XFusion Velvet but when I really think about it, the roots and rocks on our trails really take a bite out of the momentum hence why I'm looking at 29ers. However, I see basically no "similar" frame in the 29er size. They all seem to stop at 120mm and have steeper head angles. I understand the bigger wheels might not require such a slack head angle and travel but having no frames that give you the option sounds like I am missing something.. Am I? I only see the Diamondback Mason in that category.

FWIW my other criterias are as follows (in no particular order):
    - Preferably steel but I'm not adverse to carbon. No aluminum, I find them too harsh to ride. Alu with carbon stays are fine in my experience.
    - 100mm to 140mm since I'd like to race occasionnally (XC and Marathon)
    - Slack head angle, I'd like it to be a go everywhere bike (I think that a 68.5-69 degrees head angle sagged woud be spot on)
    - Tapered or 44mm head tube would be welcome
    - Versatile and playful
    - 4.5-5lbs weight preferably. I could go to 5.5 lbs if there really are no other options
    - Dropper post compatible (meaning 30.9 or 31.6mm posts are preferable)

Any eye openers out there?

Thanks
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

meatier showers
    Check out the Kona HonZo.
    Couple factors don't mesh with your priorities...

• 7# frame. Yup, 7#. (Well worth it, IMO, but that's all you)
    • HA is a little slacker than what you cited

But... these things match up...

• Steel frame
    • Comes with 120mm RS Rev fork (I run mine 140mm -- awesome)
    • Tapered head tube
    • Versatile & playful
    • 31.6 seatpost

More...

• Room for MASSIVE tires
    • Sliders allow SS mode
    • Climbs as well as it descends... I don't know how or why, but it does.

Only thing I don't like about it is the BB is an inch too low, IMO (@12.2").

If you want a point & shoot AM HT, HonZo is worth considering fur sher.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    - 4.5-5lbs weight preferably. I could go to 5.5 lbs if there really are no other options
    This is going to be a problem. For a steel 29er frame that fits this criteria you are going to be pushing 5.5 to 6 lbs.

Kona Honzo or the Canfield Nimble 9 might fit what you are looking for. The Nimble 9 has been redesigned. The teaser shots they have been posting look good.

beater

Am I missing something?

Chromag Surface or Rootdown, or the new Canfield Nimble 9 come to mind.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

transmitter~receiver
    I think you're ambitious on the weight.
    remember too that a 29er has more trail for any given HTA, so comparing HTA numbers alone between wheel sizes is not apples to apples.
    You might also look at the 2Souls Quarterhorse, but they're pretty pricy and hard to get.
    If you haven't ridden a lot of big wheels I'd demo and/or rent a couple to get an idea of what they feel like relative to geo numbers rather than trying to translate from a 26" bike that you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    I think you're ambitious on the weight.
    remember too that a 29er has more trail for any given HTA, so comparing HTA numbers alone between wheel sizes is not apples to apples.
    You might also look at the 2Souls Quarterhorse, but they're pretty pricy and hard to get.
    If you haven't ridden a lot of big wheels I'd demo and/or rent a couple to get an idea of what they feel like relative to geo numbers rather than trying to translate from a 26" bike that you like.
    Gonna be slightly heavier than a Honzo.

g3h6o3
    I did see the Nimble 9 and it's near my criterias at the moment. What's changed with the new version?

I just noticed the Titus Fireline as well looks decent but you are right meltingfeather that I should probably test some out because I had not thought about the trail and it's impact on handling. Going too slack could be problematic... I'm in no hurry on this build so I'll think everything through before moving on.

Thanks for the other suggestions.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.