mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Am I better off buying a pre-made bike or building from scratch?

I'm pretty sure that I want a 29" full suspension mountain bike with Shimano XT or SRAM X9 components and Fox suspension.

However, I don't know whether I should build it myself or not. It seems like it costs a lot more to build it yourself... the only situation I have found where it is cost effective to build it yourself would be if you really know what you want and can't find it in a pre-built fashion and you have to buy a full bike and then buy parts on top of it. I figure it's about $1k for the component group I want, $500-$1,000 for a frame, and $500-$1,000 for wheels/handle bars/stem/misc. When I could get a Stumpjumper in the $2,500-$3,000 range and it's ready to go.

I also found this bike linked that would have everything I want besides full suspension frame (and rear shock) so I almost want to buy this bike and move the components over to a full suspension Specialized/Santa Cruz frame. It costs about this much for all the components bought separately and it's like you get the frame for free. And who knows, I might end up being ok with a hard tail.

Sette Serum Pro XT Carbon Mountain Bike | Sette | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

mtbr member
    creative

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If your not in a rush, you can shop around and find components for a good price...or even used parts for less. Typically when you buy a new complete, you'll save a bit of money...wether its pre built or a kit. Downside is you usually don't have the opportunity to choose each individual component. If its your first bike and have little experience wrenching, it might be best to buy a complete or pay a shop to assemble a kit. Working on bikes isn't too difficult, but some components require a little trial and error before it becomes second nature. And some parts require specialty tools which are expensive.

I've owned many bikes, and prefer to build them myself these days. Its fun for me. Plus I always have extra parts lying around. The bulk of your money will be in the frame, suspension, and wheels. If you can purchase those as a package, you shouldn't have a problem completing it on a budget. You'll then be able to pick certain components to match your riding style. Good luck!

Carbon & Ti rule
    You shouldn't really be trying to build a bike until you have a very good idea what things will work best for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    You shouldn't really be trying to build a bike until you have a very good idea what things will work best for you.
    My decision is between buying that Sette I linked and moving the parts to a full suspension frame (seems oddly cost effective) or buying a Stumpjumper.

usually cranky
    if you want what you want and cost is secondary go custom. if not your probably better off getting a stock ride.

I Ride for Donuts
    It depends on how patient you are. I have built for less than what the full bike costs, but only because I was able to wait it out and hit the deals... You must have no loyalty to a local shop, no qualms about getting last year's stuff instead of this year's stuff, and total confidence in what you want. Lots of complete bike deals are very hard to beat, but if you only shop the deals, you can do it cheaper. How long are you willing to wait to be done? If you have a year, start now and you can do it cheaper.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    if you want what you want and cost is secondary go custom. if not your probably better off getting a stock ride.
    Yes and Stumpjumper or the Sette are both good bikes. HOwever, if you're new to mtb, best to buy and ride, there's plenty of time to learn what you like/need and replace as parts wear out/break.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

MTB B'dos
    Just be warned, the bike you linked to is a 26" wheeled bike, hence 26" wheels and fork, not much help when building a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that I want a 29" full suspension mountain bike with Shimano XT or SRAM X9 components and Fox suspension.However, I don't know whether I should build it myself or not. It seems like it costs a lot more to build it yourself.................I also found this bike linked that would have everything I want besides full suspension frame (and rear shock) so I almost want to buy this bike and move the components over to a full suspension Specialized/Santa Cruz frame. It costs about this much for all the components bought separately and it's like you get the frame for free. And who knows, I might end up being ok with a hard tail.

Sette Serum Pro XT Carbon Mountain Bike | Sette | Brand | www.PricePoint.com
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    If you want new stuff, buy a built bike. Bike manufactures buy components at a fraction of what you or I can. If you are seriously on a budget and don't mind waiting around for used or take-offs you may come out cheaper and get what you want but it will probably take a while.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Just be warned, the bike you linked to is a 26" wheeled bike, hence 26" wheels and fork, not much help when building a 29er
    Wow, I totally missed that. Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll look there some more...

Is Sette decent? If its not GOOD I'm happy to pay $2500-$3000 for the Stumpjumper to get what I want.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowducman View Post
    If you want new stuff, buy a built bike. Bike manufactures buy components at a fraction of what you or I can. If you are seriously on a budget and don't mind waiting around for used or take-offs you may come out cheaper and get what you want but it will probably take a while.
    Not on a budget... But it I can get the same thing cheaper I would like to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My decision is between buying that Sette I linked and moving the parts to a full suspension frame (seems oddly cost effective) or buying a Stumpjumper.
    Except that you missed it's a 26 inch bike.

Nevermind, didnt see that was already posted.

You need to demo some bikes first. Not ever FS design rides the same and there may be ones you hate and ones you love.

I can only relay my experience. Bought a 12 Stumpjumper, though it was ok, then a rode a Tallboy LT, like it much better. So much so I put my 6 month old SJ up for sale.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Except that you missed it's a 26 inch bike.

Nevermind, didnt see that was already posted
    That's already been addressed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That's already been addressed.
    See my edit
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    It depends on how patient you are. I have built for less than what the full bike costs, but only because I was able to wait it out and hit the deals... You must have no loyalty to a local shop, no qualms about getting last year's stuff instead of this year's stuff, and total confidence in what you want. Lots of complete bike deals are very hard to beat, but if you only shop the deals, you can do it cheaper. How long are you willing to wait to be done? If you have a year, start now and you can do it cheaper.
    This^. You do not appear confident enough. Go demo, think about the rides, demo again, then spend wisely.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    This^. You do not appear confident enough. Go demo, think about the rides, demo again, then spend wisely.
    I had a GT Sensor 9r Elite previously and it turned out to be trash so I exchanged it for a full carbon/Ultegra component road bike and now I miss mountain biking.

I want strong components I don't have to worry about breaking. I broke 3 things (rear shock, brakes started pouring fluid, and broke the chain) in the 2 weeks I had it.

Since that's the only Sette I was interested in and its the wrong size I'll probably just get the Stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had a GT Sensor 9r Elite previously and it turned out to be trash so I exchanged it for a full carbon/Ultegra component road bike and now I miss mountain biking.

I want strong components I don't have to worry about breaking. I broke 3 things (rear shock, brakes started pouring fluid, and broke the chain) in the 2 weeks I had it.

Since that's the only Sette I was interested in and its the wrong size I'll probably just get the Stumpjumper.
    Have you ridden one? YOu need to demo some bikes, they ride very differently.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass