mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Aluminum 29er trail frame options

Looking to upgrade my hardtail I built up late last year. Want to move all the parts from that build to a FS frame. The fork is a Fox Rhythm 34, 130mm of travel, so ideally the frame would work with that although I'm not opposed to buying a new fork.

Two options I'm looking at right now are Trek Fuel EX and Santa Cruz Tallboy. Are there other frames I should be considering? Doesn't seem like there is a lot of alloy frame only options out there.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames12 View Post
    Looking to upgrade my hardtail I built up late last year. Want to move all the parts from that build to a FS frame. The fork is a Fox Rhythm 34, 130mm of travel, so ideally the frame would work with that although I'm not opposed to buying a new fork.

Two options I'm looking at right now are Trek Fuel EX and Santa Cruz Tallboy. Are there other frames I should be considering? Doesn't seem like there is a lot of alloy frame only options out there.
    Do you want alloy for price or properties?

If its just price check out the carbon GT Sensor, its only $1895. It has an alloy rear end.

If you just want allow check out the transition smuggler.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    Do you want alloy for price or properties?

If its just price check out the carbon GT Sensor, its only $1895. It has an alloy rear end.

If you just want allow check out the transition smuggler.
    Mainly price. Trying to save a bit since I just built this one up. I'll add the Sensor and Smuggler to the list, thanks.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Banshee Phantom or Prime. You can thank me later. :^)

mtbr member
    I just heard on the Path podcast Giant is releasing a bike like these next month. Could be a winner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Yeah, I've heard about the Giant. Not sure they'll have a frame only option though. I also don't see a frame only option for the Sensor on GT's site?

I've looked at the Banshees. I think I'd like a bit more suspension then the Phantom has, and the Prime's chainstays are a bit lengthy for my liking. For sure interesting options though. If the Phantom was 120-130 I'd be considering it for sure. Only really considering the Tallboy as many have told me it feels like its more than 110 out back.
    Patrick

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    That just might be the winner. Geo really seems to be right in the ballpark of where everything is headed. Carbon too for that price is hard to beat. Not many reviews for it out yet though, so hopefully more will be coming
    Patrick

I should be out riding
    What type of riding do you do, and what characteristics are you looking for in a new bike? Your preferences on these go a long way toward determing what bike suits you.
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's motorized.

Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    What type of riding do you do, and what characteristics are you looking for in a new bike? Your preferences on these go a long way toward determing what bike suits you.
    General trail riding. Midwest and east coast mainly. Don't need something with a lot of travel. Biggest features on the trails I am riding most of the time are 3-4 foot drops and some small jumps. Prefer a bike more geared to being playful than one thats geared towards charging straight through stuff, but I strongly prefer 29er hoops (mainly because I feel they work a lot better climbing technical terrain).

Really just trying right now to compile a list of frames under $2k (hence why I'm looking at aluminum options) as I'm not looking to spend more than that.

I ride a medium NS Djambo Evo 29er hardtail right now. 445mm reach, 130mm fork, 66* HA and 74*ish seat tube angle. Bike feels great fit wise for me and pretty good geo wise but I'd like to get a FS now for some more confidence descending and hitting bigger features when I travel and such.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I hear you on the CS lengths on the Prime. I needed them longer as I'm riding the XL and prefer it.

For short chain stays try the Canfield Riot / Tour?

mtbr member
    You could take a look at the Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol. I also think the Canfield Riot aka Toir is a great fit and really inexpensive if they have your size.

Also, don't discount the Phantom based on the rear travel numbers alone. Everyone who rides that bike opines that it is a ripper.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I definitely recommend the Banshee. It has amazed me how versatile and excellent it is. Kicks my 2015 Trek Fuel EX 9.9 to the kerb. And is better than my 2017 Remedy 9.8.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Devinci Django 29. 130 up front, 120 in rear. Or older 2015 model Rocky Mountain Instinct had 130mm front and rear (current model is 140 front rear) You might be able to bump the travel (new air shaft) in your current fork.

Both of these bikes available in Alu or Carbon.

mtbr member
    General trail riding. Midwest and east coast mainly. Don't need something with a lot of travel. Biggest features on the trails I am riding most of the time are 3-4 foot drops and some small jumps. Prefer a bike more geared to being playful than one thats geared towards charging straight through stuff, but I strongly prefer 29er hoops (mainly because I feel they work a lot better climbing technical terrain).

Really just trying right now to compile a list of frames under $2k (hence why I'm looking at aluminum options) as I'm not looking to spend more than that.

I ride a medium NS Djambo Evo 29er hardtail right now. 445mm reach, 130mm fork, 66* HA and 74*ish seat tube angle. Bike feels great fit wise for me and pretty good geo wise but I'd like to get a FS now for some more confidence descending and hitting bigger features when I travel and such.

Here is smoking deal on carbon Niner Jet 9 RDO. I built one up about a month ago and it a great well balanced trail bike.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/n...iABEgIAUvD_BwE

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Here is smoking deal on carbon Niner Jet 9 RDO. I built one up about a month ago and it a great well balanced trail bike.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/n...iABEgIAUvD_BwE
    That is a sweet deal. Reach on the medium though (largest size available) is 20mm shorter than what I'm on right now, feel like I'd be pretty cramped on that.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfisher11 View Post
    Devinci Django 29. 130 up front, 120 in rear. Or older 2015 model Rocky Mountain Instinct had 130mm front and rear (current model is 140 front rear) You might be able to bump the travel (new air shaft) in your current fork.

Both of these bikes available in Alu or Carbon.
    I'm not seeing the alloy instinct as a frame only option.

Looking at Devinci's site lead me to discover the Marshall as well--looks like that and the Django might be a good option. I found a new Marshall carbon frame for a pretty damn good price just now too, and Devinci has a lifetime frame warranty.

Not super familiar with the split-pivot suspension design; anyone ridden that? I'm sure its great as it looks like it was designed by Dave Weagle.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Actually, looking at the Split-Pivot design it basically looks the same as Trek's ABP. So maybe I am familiar with it.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Actually, looking at the Split-Pivot design it basically looks the same as Trek's ABP. So maybe I am familiar with it.
    Have a Devinci Atlas and like the Split-Pivot design, it pedals really well. Also Devinci life time warranty is nice if you are going to be keeping the bike for a while.

Devinci Marshall 29'' 2017 - Linkage Design

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by chestont View Post
    You could take a look at the Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol.
    Here's another recommendo for the GG Trail Pistol. I owned one, loved it. Only sold it because it was slightly small for me. Anyway, super capable bike, made in the USA, great company to do business with.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Split-pivot is a great system, really pedal friendly and opens up and quite active on the downs.
    Owner of a Devinci Atlas, really love it and if given the choice would go to a Django just for the more modern geo/standards.

Also +1 on the Gorilla Gravity stuff, their bikes are amazing. Can't go wrong with either Devinci or GG, just personal preference on the style of bike you want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    My hesitation on the GG Trail Pistol is that the wheelbase on the M is so long. 1207mm. Everything else geo-wise looks great, but I don't think a bike that long is ideal for the tight, twisty type trails I ride pretty frequently. Compared to the other bikes listed in this thread in the size that I think would fit me:

Devinci Marshall (M): 1179
    Devinci Django (M): 1162
    GT Sensor (M): 1194
    SC Tallboy (L): 1165
    Trek Fuel EX (18.5): 1173
    Banshee Phantom (L): 1181
    Canfield Riot (L): 1173
    Giant Trance 29 (from leaks, M): 1176

Its just a lot longer than your typical 29er trail bike in this category (100-130mm of travel), and I don't see anyway of being able to demo one to try it out.
    Patrick

Out spokin'
    My hesitation on the GG Trail Pistol is that the wheelbase on the M is so long. 1207mm. I don't see anyway of being able to demo one to try it out.
    I live & ride in a land of tight switchbacks, am over 6' tall (so longer WB yet) and haven't found it to be a problem, in fact I prefer the long wheelbase. But you're right -- you oughta ride one.

Guerrilla Gravity has a Brand Ambassador program that allows prospective buyers to hook up with local GG bike owners for a test ride. Swing on over to the GG forum here on MTBR and jump into the Trail Pistol thread. There you can inquire if there's a BAMF in your area with an M for you to try.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    I also recommend the Devinci Django. Made in Canada and you can't beat their warranty. Customer service from the company is great as well.
    Best Source for Ibis, Devinci, and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    What about Lynskey? Killer prices at the moment! Light AND Ti...what's not to like?

https://lynskeyperformance.com/the-loft-mt-fs-bikes

Mark
    2014 Santa Cruz Chameleon, AM build
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon CC, AM build
    mid 1960's body-build
    E-R on Speed-Dial!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by malucky View Post
    What about Lynskey? Killer prices at the moment! Light AND Ti...what's not to like?

Mark
    The geo?

Out spokin'
    The geo?
    It's there. Follow the link, then click "details" for a given frame. Scroll down, then click on "geometry."
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My hesitation on the GG Trail Pistol is that the wheelbase on the M is so long. 1207mm. Everything else geo-wise looks great, but I don't think a bike that long is ideal for the tight, twisty type trails I ride pretty frequently. Compared to the other bikes listed in this thread in the size that I think would fit me:

Devinci Marshall (M): 1179
    Devinci Django (M): 1162
    GT Sensor (M): 1194
    SC Tallboy (L): 1165
    Trek Fuel EX (18.5): 1173
    Banshee Phantom (L): 1181
    Canfield Riot (L): 1173
    Giant Trance 29 (from leaks, M): 1176

Its just a lot longer than your typical 29er trail bike in this category (100-130mm of travel), and I don't see anyway of being able to demo one to try it out.
    Where in the Mid Atlantic do you ride? I have a Riot and love it. I dont think they have larges right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by malucky View Post

Mark
    Those do look like great prices. Geo isn't a fit for me though. Long chainstays (close to 450mm for the Summit 29er) and I don't see reach listed anywhere.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Where in the Mid Atlantic do you ride? I have a Riot and love it. I dont think they have larges right now.
    Riot/Toir is for sure on my list. Canfield only has mediums right now, so I'd have to find a used one. Only downside is I'm not sure I'd be able to fit my 150mm dropper on a large, but for sure feel like I would need a large based off of the reach and top tube numbers.

I live in central KY, do some traveling out to Ashville area, Knoxville, WV, etc. Technically not "east coast" I suppose but for sure not the more open type trails out west. Have family in St. Louis so also do quite a bit of riding out there.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/trance29

For anyone following this thread interested in Giant's new 29er, its up on their global site. Looks like a pretty killer bike. USA pricing isn't up yet though.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they'll have a frame only option at this point, which probably takes it out of the running for me.
    Patrick

Out spokin'
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/trance29

For anyone following this thread interested in Giant's new 29er, its up on their global site. Looks like a pretty killer bike. USA pricing isn't up yet though.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they'll have a frame only option at this point, which probably takes it out of the running for me.
    Is the full geo chart on vaGiant's site? I didn't find it. I did, however, notice that the STA is only 74.5 which I personally find ridiculously slack for a trail/enduro bike that's supposed to climb anywhere near as good as it descends. Just my opinion, YMMV.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Is the full geo chart on vaGiant's site? I didn't find it. I did, however, notice that the STA is only 74.5 which I personally find ridiculously slack for a trail/enduro bike that's supposed to climb anywhere near as good as it descends. Just my opinion, YMMV.
    =sParty
    Specific models are up on their Italian site, and the geo is listed on those pages: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/it/trance-29-2

The 74.5 seat angle is a bit slack by today's standards for sure.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Riot/Toir is for sure on my list. Canfield only has mediums right now, so I'd have to find a used one. Only downside is I'm not sure I'd be able to fit my 150mm dropper on a large, but for sure feel like I would need a large based off of the reach and top tube numbers.

I live in central KY, do some traveling out to Ashville area, Knoxville, WV, etc. Technically not "east coast" I suppose but for sure not the more open type trails out west. Have family in St. Louis so also do quite a bit of riding out there.
    I ride NW MD and PA, travel to WNC twice a year. Riot is great and it shines there. On some of the higher speed trails it can feel nervous but that is the compromise of its playfulness. If I road more out west I'd pick a different bike. The ETT will be short since it has a 77 STA I'd only go off the reach numbers. You can always slide or set back the saddle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Specific models are up on their Italian site, and the geo is listed on those pages: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/it/trance-29-2

The 74.5 seat angle is a bit slack by today's standards for sure.
    I actually prefer 75 for a bike that you're in the saddle a lot, more rolling terrain.. 77 is great for sit to climb stand to decend trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Just added another option to the list, Commencal's new Meta TR 29er:

https://www.commencalusa.com/frame-m...19-c2x26304953

66.5* HA, 455 reach on a medium, 434 chainstays. $1,299 new, although without a shock.
    Patrick

Rocks belong
    Looking at Devinci's site lead me to discover the Marshall as well--looks like that and the Django might be a good option. I found a new Marshall carbon frame for a pretty damn good price just now too, and Devinci has a lifetime frame warranty.
    Mind sharing where you found the Marshall frame only? I've love a Marshall frame in a size large.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Mind sharing where you found the Marshall frame only? I've love a Marshall frame in a size large.
    It was a size medium on Pinkbike. Looked like a shop had one 2017 frame left or something. If it was a large I would've pulled the trigger on it.
    Patrick

Out spokin'
    Just added another option to the list, Commencal's new Meta TR 29er:

https://www.commencalusa.com/frame-m...19-c2x26304953

66.5* HA, 455 reach on a medium, 434 chainstays. $1,299 new, although without a shock.
    I hope the geo chart includes a mistake where it says 66 STA. Hopefully they mean 76.

In any case be careful with frames that have a big kink in the seat tube like the Commencal does because the effective STA varies depending on how far the seatpost is extended. Whenever a manufacturer kinks the seat tube like this, they pick an arbitrary saddle height and measure the STA at that point. That's the number they put in the geo chart.

But if you're tall, it'll be slacker than stated because the saddle will go farther back as it's raised. If you're short, STA be closer to whatever the geo chart states. You may also find it challenging to find a dropper post that gives you as much drop as you want because of limited insertion.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I hope the geo chart includes a mistake where it says 66 STA. Hopefully they mean 76.

In any case be careful with frames that have a big kink in the seat tube like the Commencal does because the effective STA varies depending on how far the seatpost is extended. Whenever a manufacturer kinks the seat tube like this, they pick an arbitrary saddle height and measure the STA at that point. That's the number they put in the geo chart.

But if you're tall, it'll be slacker than stated because the saddle will go farther back as it's raised. If you're short, STA be closer to whatever the geo chart states. You may also find it challenging to find a dropper post that gives you as much drop as you want because of limited insertion.
    =sParty
    Yeah, the specs on the bike are weird the more I'm looking at it. It doesn't seem like Commencal has their ducks in a row on it.

The geo chart is for a 541mm fork length, which appears to be the A-C for a 130mm Pike. But, the full bikes come with 140mm forks, with the "British" edition coming with a 150mm. The geo charts on the full builds state fork length of 541mm too, despite having 140mm forks.

The frame only option states its 130mm rear wheel travel and takes a 210x50 shock, but the full builds state 130mm rear wheel travel with 210x55 shocks.

The 66* seat tube angle doesn't make any sense either.

Weird.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    A 150 dropper fits great on a Canfield Rior/Toir. Running a 175 and could go 200 with my long legs, on a large. DVO Jade settles the rear on high speed chunk. Climbs everything my legs can pedal up. Love mine

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rone Turner View Post
    A 150 dropper fits great on a Canfield Rior/Toir. Running a 175 and could go 200 with my long legs, on a large. DVO Jade settles the rear on high speed chunk. Climbs everything my legs can pedal up. Love mine
    What's great is you can fit a really long dropper and run the cable under the seat post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    In case anyone is interested. I ended up ordering a Trek Fuel EX AL frame from my LBS today. Got the opportunity to demo one and it just felt perfect. Should be in by next Thursday and hopefully I'll have it built up and shredding by next weekend.
    Patrick