curry & chips sir?

Are all 29er wheels disc brake compatible only?

I've noticed that every 29er wheel only takes disks, and aren't compatible with good ole cantilever brakes. Is there a conspiracy going on?

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    No, not all.

My Redline MC29er has v-brakes on Alex DH19 rims that are disc ready. The Motobecane Outcast also has v-brakes. Cant think of other bikes right now though...
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Most 29er frames are disc only,as they are 'fairly recent' things - so the wheels will follow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulcher
    I've noticed that every 29er wheel only takes disks, and aren't compatible with good ole cantilever brakes. Is there a conspiracy going on?
    Most 26" frames, rims, pre-built wheels, etc on a comparable price level are disc only too. Its just progress

mtbr member
    It is strictly a philosophy, not a necessity.

Obviously disc brakes have very strong advantages over rim which make them the brake of choice, but I believe the other part is historical.

When the transition from 26 to 29 was being made, you knew you could run a 29 inch disc wheel in a frame as long as there was tire clearance, avoiding any brake pad issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have a set of WTB Dual Duty XC rims laced to XT hubs, courtesy of Bike29. The "Dual Duty" implies that they are both disc and rim brake compatible. So, to answer your question, most are disc-only, but not all.

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    Well, it is pretty much just marketing. My 29er front wheel of choice is a Ksyrium Elite -- ostensibly a road wheel that is not disc compatible, and it's tough enough for me to ride all over the Rockies without worrying about problems. Virtually any quality road rim and hub -- even very light and "narrow" rims like the IRD Cadence or Mavic Open Pro -- will stand up to the abuse dished out by most cross country riders. What do you think were used by the pioneering 29er riders? What do you think cylcocross racers use? I know it doesn't fit the marketing image of the rough and tumble world of macho mountain bike huckers, but they work just fine in the real world...
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeT
    Well, it is pretty much just marketing. My 29er front wheel of choice is a Ksyrium Elite -- ostensibly a road wheel that is not disc compatible, and it's tough enough for me to ride all over the Rockies without worrying about problems. Virtually any quality road rim and hub -- even very light and "narrow" rims like the IRD Cadence or Mavic Open Pro -- will stand up to the abuse dished out by most cross country riders. What do you think were used by the pioneering 29er riders? What do you think cylcocross racers use? I know it doesn't fit the marketing image of the rough and tumble world of macho mountain bike huckers, but they work just fine in the real world...
    nothing personal, but that "just marketing" argument really annoys me. From everything I've seen on this forum, it is the riders who are begging companies to make more wide rims, just like they had to beg companies to make 29ers in the first place. The new rims are all disc only because it so happens that the riders have also stated a resounding preference for disc brakes.

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    From everything I've seen on this forum, it is the riders who are begging companies to make more wide rims...
    Well, other than thinking that the denizens of MTBR drive the marketplace, I think you're largely right. As noted in another recent thread, even some "disk only" rims work with rim brakes. My real point is that there's no conspiracy, rather there's plenty of rims, hubs, and pre-made wheels that will work wonderfully for a rim-brake equipped 29er. They just happen to given the slanderous label of being "road" equipment. The "marketing" dig was more directed at the unfounded notion that a road rim or wheel ain't "mountain tough".
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

curry & chips sir?
    I'll definitely look into the road wheels out there. Thanks for the replies!

Open Pros are sweet rims, I just didn't like having to run 35+ psi to avoid pinch flatting and the squirm of a 2.1.

Mine survived two years as a rear rim, and now continues to pull commuter duty every day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Stans 355 are rim compatible

workin' it Administrator
    The Sun Rhynolite is a good heavy duty cheap rim that is rim brake compatible and the Kris Holm rims are a good heavy duty rim that is not cheap that is rim compatible if you are looking for durable long lasting rims vs. road rims that might be less adequate.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Well, other than thinking that the denizens of MTBR drive the marketplace, I think you're largely right. As noted in another recent thread, even some "disk only" rims work with rim brakes. My real point is that there's no conspiracy, rather there's plenty of rims, hubs, and pre-made wheels that will work wonderfully for a rim-brake equipped 29er. They just happen to given the slanderous label of being "road" equipment. The "marketing" dig was more directed at the unfounded notion that a road rim or wheel ain't "mountain tough".
    Sorry, I was using MTBR to try and paint a picture of the market in general. We aren't that important. Well, most of us aren't

My arguement against "road" rims is purely width related; nothing to do with brake compatibility or strength. Like ionsmuse and many others, the large volume tires that I like work much better on wider rims that support the tire better

Always Learning
    Maybe...

I've got a pair of the American Classic 29"er rim brake wheels and a pair of Mavic Open Pro rims laced to Shimano XT hubs hanging on my garage wall - both currently not being used.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Salsa Delgado Cross are good and not too narrow. IMO true road width rims can have trouble keeping anything larger than about a 45 seated, though I suppose the specifics vary.

The Duuude, man...
    V brake 29ers:

FS: Everything

Fragile - must be Italian
    What's a cantilever brake and for the love of Pete why would anybody want to use them?

(Just kidding - I've been riding since the 80's so of course I know what a cantilever brake is...but I still have no idea why some people still insist on using them...my day of liberation came the minute I got rid of those hellish things)

Thx...Doug

transmitter~receiver
    You haven't opened you eyes and looked around.

KLF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you are asking me, yes Well if marketing forces are a conspiracy then yes there is a conspiracy. It's a chicken-and-egg thing. But the bottom line is that the "market" isn't really interested in providing a variety of options, it focuses on what is selling, regardless of the reason (be it demand or promotion).

I have had the 29er that I presently ride for three years. I bought a Dos Niner frame and WB fork with canti bosses and built it up using components I had on hand and from a variety of other sources. I used wheels that had been retired from my road bikes -which was why I wanted to be able to use rim brakes. No regrets whatsoever. I'm still quite content with V-brakes and good pads even while tweaking other details.

It seems to me the trend toward disc(k)s is universal for MTB's. 29er's are no exception.
    Some frame builders do offer the option of canti bosses. There are fewer forks that offer the same choice.

But in answer to your question (and as other have said) any 700c road wheel is usable as a 29er wheel. Front wheels (QR) are a straight across substitute. The only slight glitch comes from the rear axle spacing which is typically 130mm for a road wheel and 135mm for an MTB wheel (29er included). Not to say it will work every time, but a 130mm road wheel can usually be clamped into a frame that is intended for 135mm. And you can always have a rear wheel built (or build it yourself) using any 700c rim and a 135mm hub.

I do have to note that I have been very surprised at the durability of wheels which I thought were light (i.e. not particularly sturdy) for road use. I figured I'd just ride them until they self-destructed. Pleasantly, it hasn't happened. Disclaimer: I ride XC style - I sometimes ride rough rocky terrain, but when doing so I tend to slow down, and I nearly always stay on the ground.

KLF