mtbr member

Is an Alex TD17 a good rim for a Hybrid 29er?

Will an Alex TD17 rim (laced to Shimano Deore M525 hubs with 36 straight 14 Ga. DT Swiss spoke) a good choice for a 6'-3" 200 rider? My 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Hybrid 29er bike is strickly used for commuting and runs 700C x 38 tires.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Yes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Yes.
    Plus One.

I have used these rims on a single speed, (still have the wheels, laced up in 2003), and I am heavier than you. Decent rims. Not great, but decent.

mtbr member
    Is there a more durable 36 hole disc rim out there in the same price range? I also heard that some tires are hard to install on the TD17's with their snake bite feature.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalton
    Is there a more durable 36 hole disc rim out there in the same price range? I also heard that some tires are hard to install on the TD17's with their snake bite feature.
    I highly doubt you'll find anything as cheap as a TD-17 that is tougher. Also, we do not know what type of commute you have, but I would have a hard time imagining that a TD-17 couldn't handle it, especially if built by a competent wheelsmith.

For a 38mm tire, you could do a Velocity Dyad, which is rated for tandem use, isn't much more expensive, and mounts tires in your size range easily.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I have never had an issue mounting tires on the TD17
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    My 12 mile round trip commute is ridden over fairly smooth and flat AC. The back rack is normally loaded down with clothes, shoes and a lunch, which may weigh as mush as 15 pounds. Add 15 pounds to my 200 plus pound frame and were talking 215 to 220 pounds of load on the bike. My old commuter bike has a set of BWW wheels, which have held up for 2 years so far. These BWW wheels have Alex DH19 (36H) rims laced to non-disc Deore (36H) hubs with generic 14 Ga. S.S. spokes. All of my OEM wheels with 32 spokes had some sort of rear spoke failure after about 3 months of commuting, so that is why I want to build a wheel set with 36 spokes in the rear wheel with a deep sectioned rim. The Alex TD17 is about 1mm shorter than the DH19 according to Alex's home page so the rim should be just about as strong as the DH19.

I always bleed like this.
    +8
    I have a set and they have held up just fine under my not so smooth self. They are my backup wheels but only because I wanted to give myself a gift, not because they needed replaced.
    225lbs, single speed full rigid.

Harmonius Wrench
    My 12 mile round trip commute is ridden over fairly smooth and flat AC. The back rack is normally loaded down with clothes, shoes and a lunch, which may weigh as mush as 15 pounds. Add 15 pounds to my 200 plus pound frame and were talking 215 to 220 pounds of load on the bike. My old commuter bike has a set of BWW wheels, which have held up for 2 years so far. These BWW wheels have Alex DH19 (36H) rims laced to non-disc Deore (36H) hubs with generic 14 Ga. S.S. spokes. All of my OEM wheels with 32 spokes had some sort of rear spoke failure after about 3 months of commuting, so that is why I want to build a wheel set with 36 spokes in the rear wheel with a deep sectioned rim. The Alex TD17 is about 1mm shorter than the DH19 according to Alex's home page so the rim should be just about as strong as the DH19.
    TD-17's built well will do you just fine.