mtbr member

Alex DH19 + Bontrager strips?

Few locals have said they heard of some folks successfully setting up their Alex DH19 wheels tubeless using the Bontrager rim strips. I've done a ton of searching and haven't found anything about this. Has anyone here tried it?

Please leave out comments about going ghetto tubeless. I'm not interested in the least.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Crap. Although this is for a 29er I meant to throw this in the wheel forum. Moderators please move if you feel it necessary.
    Signature

mtbr member
    After finding no concrete information on utilizing the Bontrager strip in the DH19 rim I decided to take the plunge. Figured worst case scenario I could always use the strips on another set of wheels down the road.

So what I have are the stock Alex DH19 rims from the Monocog, Specialized Purgatory Controls (2.4), a bottle of Stans, Bontrager Rhythm symmetrical strips, and Bontrager valves.

The strips are a very tight fit in the rim...and by very tight I mean a bit of a pain in the ass to seat it in the rim. The one side sits in there just fine but to get the other side to seat I pulled the strip towards the seated side while pushing the other side in with my fingers. Took a while and my fingers are sore, but it is in there now. I do not think putting a tube'd tire on there and inflating would seat it.

Based on my prior experience with Bontrager strips and valves I put a bit of latex mold builder on the rubber o-ring part of the valve before install. This presses out the latex and creates a better seal (I had issues with the valves leaking on my Rhythm wheels and this fixed it).

After that it was pretty much just your standard install. Wipe the bead down with a bit of soapy water. Seat all but a small portion, pour in your sealant of choice, seat the rest of the bead, do the Stans shimmy shake rotate, then inflate. I was able to get it to seat with a hand pump. Bead popped in right at the 30psi mark.

Preliminary findings are promising. I was only able to do the rear tire so far and it seems to be holding air just fine. Before I install the front tire I'll snap some shots of the front showing how the strip fits in the rim. I'll also have a trail report after this weekends ride.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Few locals have said they heard of some folks successfully setting up their Alex DH19 wheels tubeless using the Bontrager rim strips. I've done a ton of searching and haven't found anything about this. Has anyone here tried it?

Please leave out comments about going ghetto tubeless. I'm not interested in the least.
    You should go ghetto tubeless...