Large mammal
    Jan 2004

Alex Adventurer rims?

Anyone riding these? I am 220 lbs. and would mostly be using them for commuting with the occasional single track thrown in the mix. Would prob. run tires on them from a 37mm road type tire to a 2.1 mtb tire.
    Thanks, Doug

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've been riding alex adventurer's for a couple of months now on both road commutes and singletrack. They are a good rim. They don't seem to be all that durable long-term however. This set was built up by Quality Bicycle Products Wheel House and I keep knockin them out of true. I weigh 200 pounds for context. This set is 36 holes laced to a disc hub, DB spokes. I also have a set of 36 hole Salsa Delgado's laced to Surly Hubs with Straightguage spokes. This wheelset is rock solid. I haven't trued them since they were built. So, I would say if you are going to be commuting on these the majority of the time build a 36 hole wheel with straightguage spokes. I prefer the Salsa rim. Leave the double butted lighter wheelset for a race only app. it will only make you stronger to ride the heavy set commuting. One more thing. I noticed that tires don't seat perfectly on the adventurers. I have had tires slip off the BSD twice while inflating them. This is using a Kevlar Nano that I have used on both my wheelsets. I have not experienced this on the Salsa. Could be a fluke though.