Thread: Alchemy 29er!

mtbr member

Alchemy 29er!

Have you guys seen this?!

https://instagram.com/p/Bht3DZvHWzM/

It's a bike that I've been waiting for ever since seeing the Arktos in the flesh and hope it's sporting some en vogue geometry when details are released...

Out spokin'
    Yo J! Nope, hadn't seen it before... and still can't really say I've seen it. Followed your link to a couple shots that didn't show much beyond an awesome frame finish. Got details &/or more photos? What intrigued you upon your first exposure to the bike? I'm totally unfamiliar.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Yo J! Nope, hadn't seen it before... and still can't really say I've seen it. Followed your link to a couple shots that didn't show much beyond an awesome frame finish. Got details &/or more photos? What intrigued you upon your first exposure to the bike? I'm totally unfamiliar.
    =sParty
    Hey SParty!

Iíve not seen this one in the flesh yet, this is as much as Iíve seen apart from this too:

My first exposure to Alchemy in real life though was checking out an all black Arktos 27.5, the finish was amazing and Iíve heard nothing but good things of them.

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Superboost, nice.

mtbr member
    Looks like a nice bike, I also like the way they're embracing Superboost too, but the geometry looks a bit normally to me, nothing new, although I'm sure it rides very nicely. I like the higher than trendy bottom bracket.

I heard today that it looks like Alchemy are possibly going to the direct sales route, which actually puts me off given that I'd prefer to put my trust in my local dealer who were stocking their bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, the new crop of bikes seems to have found a middle ground, not as much change, which is good for the consumer as it means the older bikes are not getting dated quite so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Looks like a nice bike, I also like the way they're embracing Superboost too, but the geometry looks a bit normally to me, nothing new, although I'm sure it rides very nicely. I like the higher than trendy bottom bracket.

I heard today that it looks like Alchemy are possibly going to the direct sales route, which actually puts me off given that I'd prefer to put my trust in my local dealer who were stocking their bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Yeah, the new crop of bikes seems to have found a middle ground, not as much change, which is good for the consumer as it means the older bikes are not getting dated quite so fast.
    But I would argue that the numbers on this one could be pre-change. You know, long seat tube, higher B.B. (good thing in my book), normal reach and higher stack height. Either way I bet it works!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The stack numbers are very high.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    The stack numbers are very high.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Not everyone want to ride a mountain bike bent over like a road bike. At 6'1" with long legs I have never owned a bike that my seat was not already at least 3" over the bars. Now with the trend of super low stack heights it is worse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Not everyone want to ride a mountain bike bent over like a road bike. At 6'1" with long legs I have never owned a bike that my seat was not already at least 3" over the bars. Now with the trend of super low stack heights it is worse.
    I'm with you, 6'-1" with 35.5" inseam. XL legs with a Medium torso! I bought an Evil Wreckoning recently and it's the first bike I've ever owned with a stack height that works well when I'm seated.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The keyboard warriors here on MTBR will assure you that you canít possibly be an ďaggressive ď rider with a high stack. I generally assume theyíre midgets or simply regurgitators of bad knowledge.

Love me some stack height, man.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    The keyboard warriors here on MTBR will assure you that you canít possibly be an ďaggressive ď rider with a high stack. I generally assume theyíre midgets or simply regurgitators of bad knowledge.

Love me some stack height, man.
    Consider me a charter member of Club Stack Height! 6'2", 36" inseam and running 67mm of spacers under my stem (on a size large GG Pistola with a 5.5" head tube). Not to mention 20mm-ish riser bars as well. Wish the head tube was another inch or two longer on a frame this size.

IMO & IME bars level with seat make for optimum flight control whether wheels are on the ground or anywhere above it.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Cool rear suspension design. Check.

Not stupid-low BB. Check.

Max rear tire of 2.4". Uhhh.

Super-Boost. Uhhh again.

Still, curious to see actual ride reviews. Always good to see guys like Alchemy, Spot, etc. shaking things up a bit.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Life time Waranty, 44mm offset Fox 36 fork, DXP2 rear shock, longer reach than my Spot Mayham with higher BB also. I'm cramped on my large 29er Mayham, going with new 9point8 25mm setback dropper seat post for final dial in. I'm 5'10 with short 31inseam legs but super long upper body. 75mm stem slammed all the way down with saddle all the way back.

If I can't dial the Mayham in then the Dave Earle developed Sine suspension Arktos 29er it will be!! Frames are also built in the #1 factory for carbon frames and I trust Alchemy for their word!! Quality is off the chart. I will go frame only with the RS Lyrik fork at 42mm offset, red fork and gray large frame!!

MTB B'dos
    I'm going to chime in on this despite knowing that I'll get chastised for speaking out, but, WTF 150 rear and then only clearance for a 2.5" tyre
    Other than that, geo is run of the mill, which isn't a bad thing as things were getting too long IMHO. Nice to see a proper size HT/Stack instead of those <5" tall HT on XL bikes we normally see. BB height is decent, at least not the stupid really low stuff most are doing, but could be higher for my taste.

J, you really do need to seek some counseling, you have a serious "problem", but there are worse, know you make me not feel so bad for getting new bike itch after 4 years
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    I'm 5'10 with short 31inseam legs but super long upper body.
    Welcome to my world. I'm 6'2" with a 31.25" inseam!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I'm going to chime in on this despite knowing that I'll get chastised for speaking out, but, WTF 150 rear and then only clearance for a 2.5" tyre
    Other than that, geo is run of the mill, which isn't a bad thing as things were getting too long IMHO. Nice to see a proper size HT/Stack instead of those <5" tall HT on XL bikes we normally see. BB height is decent, at least not the stupid really low stuff most are doing, but could be higher for my taste.

J, you really do need to seek some counseling, you have a serious "problem", but there are worse, know you make me not feel so bad for getting new bike itch after 4 years
    Ha ha I donít have a new bike itch, which is strange for me seeing as I usually have one once every 3 months!!

The tyre clearance and the lack of a bottle mount turned me off the Arktos 29, once I sat down and thought about it some more , the geometry is very close to what Iíd find ideal though so I agree with you there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post

I think the geo looks great, compared to a lot of bikes these day. Not to long or low. 2.5 is enough for me especially with 150mm travel.

mtbr member
    To me the Large looks like a M frame with an XL seat tube, I chuckled when I saw an article describing it as "modern geometry", journalists and their buzzwords...

Interesting to see another trailbike with the 157 rear end, but I honestly can't see a single reason to buy this over the Ibis Ripmo if you're in the market for a 160/140 29er that isn't a slacked-out endurobro racer. Unless perhaps you've got really long legs and a short upper body?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    To me the Large looks like a M frame with an XL seat tube, I chuckled when I saw an article describing it as "modern geometry", journalists and their buzzwords...

Interesting to see another trailbike with the 157 rear end, but I honestly can't see a single reason to buy this over the Ibis Ripmo if you're in the market for a 160/140 29er that isn't a slacked-out endurobro racer. Unless perhaps you've got really long legs and a short upper body?
    True, I look at that seat tube and wonder why too?!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Side shots from the website. Good looking pieces of machinery.

https://alchemybicycles.com/arktos29

Alchemy 29er!-product-shot.jpg

Alchemy 29er!-product-shot.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Any one ride one yet. I love the looks just not sure how it compares to the ripmo and htlt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was one of the first to be drawn to the 27.5 Arktos but could not make the run to 27.5. This one looks interesting...the geo seems to be new but not radical. Will have to see how it rides. I like the not-too-low BB but I'd still prefer slightly higher with that travel. The seat tube angle is okay...maybe another half steeper would work better on climbs but hard to say till you ride it.

I have not been buying new bikes at the rate I did (2 each year, and rotating) primarily since they started to drop the BB heights. I like the looks and will eventually replace my Yeti 4.5 29er for a bike that climbs as well, but maybe has a touch more travel, slightly shorter CS, and a higher BB at sag.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Alchemy 29er!-img_1600.jpg
    Alchemy 29er!-img_1601.jpg
    Alchemy 29er!-img_1603.jpg
    Alchemy 29er!-img_1602.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2016
    These things are really stunning, as someone who has worked in the bike industry a long time and ridden just about everything this is the first time in a while I've been blown away by a new bike.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice. No longer US-production though, right?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_hudson View Post
    Hmmmm. I have an Alchemy Helios road bike that I built up late 2017, and the frame was hand built in the US. Of course, that model is no longer offered on their website. I'm not sure about the mountain bikes. Beautiful bikes regardless.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_hudson View Post
    Some of the 27.5's are.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the info. For others, should have been more clear in my question. Pretty sure most of what Alchemy makes is done in CO. Just the Arktos I think that is different.

Quote Originally Posted by cblesius View Post
    Some of the 27.5's are.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Sooo...has anyone ridden one yet? Reviews are non-existent. Website says shipping starts in June; weird that there's nothing but crickets 2mos later.

Jed Peters
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Sooo...has anyone ridden one yet? Reviews are non-existent. Website says shipping starts in June; weird that there's nothing but crickets 2mos later.
    There was a holdup on the fox shipment. The first batches are going out this week....I know because my bike is IN the first batch! Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Please report back. If I'm thinking of buying a $5100 Yeti, I might as well buy a $5200 Alchemy or Esker...if they're as good!!!!

Jed Peters
    Here it is, getting ready to get shipped....

Sexy!

Alchemy 29er!-img_0538.jpgAlchemy 29er!-img_0537.jpg

Contains no juice.
    Stepping in with both feet, eh?

Sweet ride, congrats!
    "...rhetorical hyperbole..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Please report back. If I'm thinking of buying a $5100 Yeti, I might as well buy a $5200 Alchemy or Esker...if they're as good!!!!

Don't forget a sub $5k GG Smash or Trail Pistol build where you can spec the components you prefer. Shimano drive train with SRAM brakes? Check. SRAM drive train with Shimano brakes? Check. Coil shock? Check. Basically mix and match to your hearts delight.... and their Race builds come in easily below 30 lbs.... in aluminum

https://ridegg.com/thesmash

edit... totally screwed up the quote post feature.
    Last edited by icelt; 08-30-2018 at 09:39 PM.

Jed Peters
    You know thatís how I do it, Gary.

Jed Peters
    Bike's done....and ridden it a couple times.

Full review coming.

Alchemy 29er!-img_0448.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man View Post
    Bike's done....and ridden it a couple times.

Full review coming.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	1215873
    cmon we need better pics than that. This bike is high on my list!!!
    Evil Insurgent Yeti SB5.5 Evil Wreckoning Pivot Switchblade Pivot Mach 5.5

Jed Peters
    There will be a full write up and review as soon as I get some more miles and smiles under it. So far...5 good rides on it.

I'll do another this afternoon and probably another one this weekend.

More to come....

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man View Post
    There will be a full write up and review as soon as I get some more miles and smiles under it. So far...5 good rides on it.

I'll do another this afternoon and probably another one this weekend.

More to come....
    Any input yet? Pictures?
    Evil Insurgent Yeti SB5.5 Evil Wreckoning Pivot Switchblade Pivot Mach 5.5