mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Airborne Guardian 2.0 vs Trek Mamba

Yep, another "what should I get" thread from a beginner

I'm strongly considering getting into mountain biking and I'm about to bite the bullet and buy my first bike in 13 years. I've done my homework and my options have come down to 2 bikes (maybe 3...): Airborne Guardian 2.0 or the Trek Mamba. The big question is, should I wait till I have the funds for the Mamba or will the Guardian be sufficient for someone who's just getting into the hobby and riding bike trails along with some non prepped woods trails?

The biggest difference I can see between the two is the fork. Is the XC32 that big of an improvement over the XC28 that I should spend $200+ more?

Also, the fact that the Airborne needs some assembly is not an issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    For the price of the Mamba, you can get the Striker which looks to be an amazing bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    He means the Airborne Seeker which has an even better, lighter Recon Gold air fork.
    The XC28 has 28mm stanchions vs 32mm less flexy versions in the 32. It matters more if you weigh over 200.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I weigh a little under 175, so I should be good then?

I thought about the Seeker, however, I'm trying very hard not to go over $1k. I really don't even want to spend $800 but I realize I need to to get something decent.

The third bike I was looking at was the Marlin. Seems like a nice bike, but I'm not too crazy about the fork or the crank (why did they put a youth/commuter crank on this bike anyway?). I understand they both can be changed, but it seems finding a compatible fork is more difficult due to the G2 geometry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    G2 is 51mm, a Manitou Tower Pro is 48mm offset. That is pretty close and you would be unlikely to be held back by the difference if you noticed it. The Marlin uses the same frame as the Mamba/X-Cal. Discount time is coming up. Start mentioning that to your dealer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I could definitely see the benefits of the offset fork, but if I was to upgrade, would I still need to stick with the offset or could I use any fork?

Thanks for the help!