mtbr member

Airborne Goblin VS Charge Cooker Hi

Two Bikes at almost equal prices. Seem to be both built for aggressive trail riding. Very similar components, but the Goblin rocks their Hydroformed Aluminum Frame and the Cooker uses a Steel Cro-Mo Butted frame. What's the verdict?http://www.airbornebicycles.com/prod...400983__400983

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I don't think that either would be considered aggressive trail riders. The Cooker is heavier - around 30 lbs - and has a lower spec fork, casette, chain, brakes, etc. than the goblin. On paper, the goblin wins. The cooker wins on looks hands down though.

Both bikes will allow you to do similar cross country style riding.

mtbr member
    The goblin does have an great parts list and everyone seems to like it. The Cooker is interesting with the Steel frame. The couple things I see that Cooker seems to be different in a couple areas. Rims and tires, wider handle bar. Rims I think are tubeless or tubeless compatible from the factory and lighter and stronger. A mix of X5 and X7. So the Goblin is full X7 and lighter by a couple lbs. Do the better Reba forks, cassette, chain on the Goblin out do the better rims, wider bars, Recon Silver Tk fork Crank Bros parts and steel frame on the Cooker. So I'm left with two bikes that are pretty sweet for the money that I cant demo ride.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistacruise View Post
    The goblin does have an great parts list and everyone seems to like it. The Cooker is interesting with the Steel frame. The couple things I see that Cooker seems to be different in a couple areas. Rims and tires, wider handle bar. Rims I think are tubeless or tubeless compatible from the factory and lighter and stronger. A mix of X5 and X7. So the Goblin is full X7 and lighter by a couple lbs. Do the better Reba forks, cassette, chain on the Goblin out do the better rims, wider bars, Recon Silver Tk fork Crank Bros parts and steel frame on the Cooker. So I'm left with two bikes that are pretty sweet for the money that I cant demo ride.
    The bikes are pretty comparable, but like Gabe said, the Goblin wins - on paper. I think it's easier/cheaper to change out cockpit components that it is to try to match up drive train (but have to admit that the Crank Bros components are attractive). And there is a noticeable difference between x5 and x7.

It's easy to set up and run tubeless on the Goblin's stock rims. A little Gorilla Tape, a couple valve stems and some Stans' - you're ready to rock.

I've owned/ridden the Goblin, and I'll say up front - it is marketed/sold as an XC bike, and it handles rides great as such. It is not "Built for aggressive trail riding". It will likely handle anything you throw at it, but it's not the design/intended use. I'd say the same goes for the Charge.

Tough Choice! (I was never a fan of gumwall tires though -they looked cool, but sidewalls always bummed me out)
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Taking a closer look, one thing I see is that the bottom bracket drop on the Cooker is 35mm vs. the Goblin at 65mm, so the Goblin should rail turns a little more securely. Or maybe you like to slide around turns like a flattrack moto. Other than that, the geometries are pretty similar AFAICS.

On the component side, the Goblin has a noticeably better fork in the Reba vs the Recon (with a TurnKey damper), but the Cooker has the WTB Frequency i19 wheelset (that are built to UST spec, so tubeless is a better proposition with these) vs the WTB Speed Disc wheels on the Goblin. You might be able to convert the Recon to Motion Control by swapping out the damper which would make it closer to the performance of the Reba, but you'd need to verify that. The Recon Silver will still be noticeably heavier though due to the steel stanchions compared to aluminum stanchions on the Reba.

The steel frame and heavier fork is likely where the majority of the weight difference comes from.

They are both 2x10, but the Cooker has 26/39 chainrings, and the Goblin has 24/38, so the Cooker is taller geared. Not sure you can change out the chainrings to something a little more climbing-friendly without changing the crankset on the Cooker, so another thing to check into if that's important to you.

So, I like the wheels on the Cooker, and the fork on the Goblin. They would both require a substantial amount of money to replace, but the fork a little more. The bottom bracket difference is the biggest difference on the frame geometry. Steel vs aluminum can likely be felt, but it also depends on the execution (design and construction) to determine what works better for you. I'm sure that both can work really well with the right rider aboard, and the other differences are relatively minor. I think a case could be made for either one, it comes down to whatever one you like for you. Nice to have choices.