mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Airborne Goblin two months in

Airborne Goblin two months in-screen-shot-2014-07-26-2.45.10-pm.jpg

Thought I'd throw my thoughts about this bike up here finally. Mods:

Easton EC70 carbon bar (685mm)
    Ergon GS-1 grips
    Fizik Gobi saddle
    Race Face post (cheap, just wanted something w/ adjustable saddle tilt)
    Mavic C29SSMAX front wheel (tacoed the stock wheel)
    1x10 conversion w/RF nw 32t chainring
    Schwalbe RR 2.25 Performance front
    Specliazed The Captain 2.0 rear
    Custom Reba decals (I give myself a B- on the installation on these)
    Shimano PD-530 pedals

Bathroom scale says 25.8 lbs

- I got a lot of bike for the money I spent. I actually tried to order the Airborne Seeker, which is a level down, but they ran out and so I got a great deal on this; $1099 shipped. Kudos to Airborne. Love the Reba, love the drivetrain, geo is good. Starting weight on this bike is good.

- Maybe I just got unlucky, but the stock front wheel didn't hold up too well. After a ride with a pretty long, fast descent through some rocky fire road, the rim was bent. Had it trued up by a shop, but it tacoed a few days later on a pretty minor low speed impact. This was a WTB i19 rim on a generic hub.

- You have to be really strong to run 1x10 gearing in a place with lots of elevation change! Working on this, riding every day and noticing improvement.

- I've had lots of trouble with the Elixir 7's. Besides requiring an annoying amount of maintenance to keep them quiet (sanding the rotors, etc), the pistons just don't want to retract like they should, even after being cleaned and lubed by my local shop. They're OK for now.

If Airborne could stock this bike with even a lower level Shimano hydraulic brake (just going from my bad and somewhat extensive experience with Avid brakes) and almost any folding bead tire (stock wire bead AKA's are just so heavy, not a great choice for a 29er), it would make this bike that much better for the next Goblin. Getting back into biking I'd say this bike, even at full price, is a really good value and would definitely recommend.

mtbr member

Man that looks really nice. I was torn between the goblin and the 2013 trek x-cal...ended up getting the x-cal way below msrp. Still wondering if I made the right decision.

Chris Bling
    Its super hard to beat the price of an Airborne. You could buy the Goblin and still have enough money left over to upgrade the fork, buy new wheels or get nice brakes. Really nice bikes...
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Airborne will have to change brakes. Sram is dropping Avids.
    Jenson will pricematch Ribbles 10% off deal on Deore M615s. 85.56 for both front and rear.
    Set destination to usa and currency. ends Tuesday. You need to get to 99 for a free ship match.
    Use Jenson for non moto left lever front.

mtbr member

The fork is fine by me but the avid brakes gotta go.

mtbr member

Yea, SRAM is dropping avid and going to "guides". Not sure if they will have a low end version or not. My brothers tektro 2s are better than my elixirs.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Airborne will have to change brakes. Sram is dropping Avids.
    Jenson will pricematch Ribbles 10% off deal on Deore M615s. 85.56 for both front and rear.
    Set destination to usa and currency. ends Tuesday. You need to get to 99 for a free ship match.
    Use Jenson for non moto left lever front.
    Are you serious that SRAM is dropping Avids?
    If that were the case then that means there will be a lot more bikes with Shimanos and then some with the new SRAM brakes.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickmak90 View Post
    Yea, SRAM is dropping avid and going to "guides". Not sure if they will have a low end version or not. My brothers tektro 2s are better than my elixirs.
    The elixirs that came on my Cobia sucked. I am so glad I got the Shimano XTs to replace them.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    I don't think they're dropping the avid brand, they're still listed on the SRAM site. I think they just launched the Guides under the SRAM brand because avid has such a bad reputation and sram is trying to distance themselves

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickmak90 View Post
    Man that looks really nice. I was torn between the goblin and the 2013 trek x-cal...ended up getting the x-cal way below msrp. Still wondering if I made the right decision.
    Both are great bikes but I have to go with the Goblin on this one. Looks great OP, congrats!

mtbr member

I ended up getting the trek for the same price as the goblin. Decided to get it because I was able to ride it first. After riding a bike that didn't fit for two years I was VERY concerned with fit.